CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-11-2011, 10:10 AM   #1
Michael Dowling

Profile:
is a serious injury with crossfit inevitable?

i'm a couple weeks into crossfit and i'm battling some shoulder issues. not sure what it is but it's at the joint of both shoulders and with me all day. i am concerned with slap injuries and admit i may just be paranoid from some reading i've done. it's possible i'm being overly cautious and have no more than stiffness from movements my body isn't used to. but it seems like if you crossfit for a long time at some point you're going to sidelined with an injury requiring rehab, surgery, or significant time off. or maybe i've just been reading too much.

five years in the marines and 15 years of wrestling and the most i ever had was a sprained ankle. two weeks of crossfit and my shoulders are barking, i'm concerned.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Rebecca Roth

Profile:
Re: is a serious injury with crossfit inevitable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
two weeks of crossfit and my shoulders are barking, i'm concerned.
frankly it sounds like you are going to heavy, too hard, or too fast at skills you probably haven't mastered in terms of technique. Get the technique right and the strength to back your movements, and you won't have trouble. Also make sure you are listening to your body and resting appropriately rather than sticking hard and fast to a relatively arbitrary workout schedule.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebecca Roth View Post
frankly it sounds like you are going to heavy, too hard, or too fast at skills you probably haven't mastered in terms of technique. Get the technique right and the strength to back your movements, and you won't have trouble. Also make sure you are listening to your body and resting appropriately rather than sticking hard and fast to a relatively arbitrary workout schedule.
This. I wouldn't say injuries are inevitable. I would say that the competitive nature of the workouts may make them more likely. "Listen to your body" and "get a good time" are fundamentally opposed.

Katherine
Old 02-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
Mac Oneill

Profile:

I'll agree with whats been said. Make sure you're stretching, ice bathing, and warming up properly. If you get injured and you're not doing any prehab/rehab you don't really have anyone to blame but yourself. Learn the movements and lift within your limits, best of luck!
Old 02-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #5
Jared Ashley

Profile:

It certainly is not inevitable.

3+ years, zero injuries for me. A couple pulled muscles requiring 2-3 days rest, but no true injuries. And the pulled muscles were from heavy lifts, not the metcons that generally result in injuries.

Take it easy, know your limits, scale appropriately, don't be afraid to slow down or even quit if needed. Fitness is a marathon (though marathon's aren't the best way to fitness).
Old 02-11-2011, 06:18 PM   #6
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Sure, injury is inevitable if you don't train smart, but that applies to any fitness program.

Doing too much too soon=not training smart. Doing a lot of kipping pullups when you're lacking in shoulder/upper body strength and stability=not training smart. Squatting or doing thrusters with bad form=not training smart. Doing 100 GHD situps on the first day you've ever done them=not training smart.

My situation is similar to Jared's--my only injury in almost 4 years was a tweaked shoulder due to Oly lifting, which I then stupidly continued to Oly lift and do muscleups on. Eventually I got smart and laid off it for awhile, and now it's fine.
Old 02-11-2011, 10:13 PM   #7
David Weber

Profile:

A "serious injury" due to crossfit is not inevitable and I would actually argue that crossfit could possibly protect you from a serious injury. In my case I've been crossfiting off and on for about 3 1/2 years without an injury due to crossfit. 8 months ago I was riding my bike about 25mph when I was side swiped by a minivan, hit the ground and the van and walked away from the scene with a sprained shoulder and very swollen knee when the doctors thought i should have had a broken clavicle and a shattered patella. They figure my lack of broken bones was due to the skeletal loading I do on a regular basis in my crossfit workouts. Just figured I'd give you my opinion on it.

But crossfit has only worked so well for me because I know my limits and I've gradually progressed as my abilities allow. Often times when it comes to working out, less is more. If your shoulders hurt, ease off on the weight for a bit and see if they improve. If there's no improvement, you may need to have someone watch your movement to see what could be causing the pain.
Old 02-12-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Dowling View Post
two weeks of crossfit and my shoulders are barking, i'm concerned.
Coach: "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks."

As others have pointed out, it's not inevitable (in fact it's probably less likely because of the variation and functional movements), but this stuff is intense so there is a very real chance of injury. You need to be comfortable with that.
Old 02-12-2011, 08:22 AM   #9
Lewis Dunn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
"Listen to your body" and "get a good time" are fundamentally opposed.
Exactly right. Also “use good form” doesn’t mesh so well with trying to get your fastest time.

Lots of good thoughts here. I would also say that injuries are not at all inevitable, but there is clearly something about Crossfit that creates a mindset that can lead to injury. I know many Crossfitters, myself included, who have become more and more conservative and careful over the years when it comes to “listening to one’s body.” Just use your head and make Crossfit YOUR fitness tool instead of letting yourself become a slave to the competitive nature of it. For many, it’s not necessarily an easy balance to achieve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
Coach: "If you find the notion of falling off the rings and breaking your neck so foreign to you, then we don't want you in our ranks."
...... but this stuff is intense so there is a very real chance of injury. You need to be comfortable with that.
First of all, that quote by Glassman is one of the most idiotic things he’s ever said, and it comes from someone who doesn’t even workout. Macho nonsense. Seriously, how many Crossfitters are in any danger at all of falling off the rings and breaking their neck, or of sustaining any injury even remotely comparable?

And I don’t agree at all that you need to be comfortable with a “very real chance of injury.” Yes, there are a lot of injuries among Crossfitters, but probably almost all avoidable with common sense, and mostly due to an overzealous pursuit of heavier weight or faster times or more max reps. My guess is that most Crossfitters have trouble avoiding at least occasional muscle soreness, but that is the only “injury” that might come close to being called inevitable.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #10
Larry Hotchkiss

Profile:

I would wager most "serious injuries" start as simple overuse situtation that are ignored. People keep pushing through the discomfort or straigns and sprains, working at 100% when their body isnt at 100% and sooner or later something has to give.

Those that listen to their body and ease off on movements that cause pain giving their body time to heal likely have few if any real issues.