CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 08:48 PM   #11
Troy Becker
Member Troy Becker is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Reno  NV
Posts: 1,118
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Is anyone else reminded of the episode of Seinfeld where Jerry ruins being the Godfather, in his own mind, because he can't find a Mohel?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:43 PM   #12
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everett Steinbarger View Post
Do a google search for "phimosis".

"Balanitis" is another fun one.

Note that these conditions do not happen in the circumcised.

Is circumcision an absolute necessity? Obviously not.

Is circumcision a sign of barbarism? Again, no. It is a choice.

Ponder this. If you were not circumcised as an infant would you do it now in light of your above post?
__________________
Chiropractic physician
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #13
Everett Steinbarger
Member Everett Steinbarger is offline
 
Everett Steinbarger's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surry  ME
Posts: 474
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Sure. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't.

As an aside, there are numerous studies that conclude with a lower risk of penile cancer for circumcised men. In a short search I could only find one study that demonstrated no difference in cancer rates. I couldn't find any studies showing lower cancer rates among uncircumcised men.

What it all comes down to is choice really. The most important factor more than likely being family tradition.
__________________
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.

Last edited by Everett Steinbarger : 01-13-2011 at 03:36 AM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 10:04 AM   #14
Gonzalo Fernandez
Member Gonzalo Fernandez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cary  NC
Posts: 255
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Ponder this. If you were not circumcised as an infant would you do it now in light of your above post?
Hard to compare the two as they are very different surgeries. As an infant, it is a local anesthetic and recovery time is very quick. As an adult, it is under general anesthesia and recovery is measured in days or even weeks.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:13 AM   #15
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Hard to compare the two as they are very different surgeries. As an infant, it is a local anesthetic and recovery time is very quick. As an adult, it is under general anesthesia and recovery is measured in days or even weeks.
Okay, that's fair. But why would one do it as an adult other than medical purposes, such as severe infection of the foreskin or some such thing.
__________________
Chiropractic physician
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:48 AM   #16
Gonzalo Fernandez
Member Gonzalo Fernandez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cary  NC
Posts: 255
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Okay, that's fair. But why would one do it as an adult other than medical purposes, such as severe infection of the foreskin or some such thing.
Outside of medical conditions like phimosis mentioned above, only other thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you convert to judaism.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 11:57 AM   #17
Matt Haxmeier
Member Matt Haxmeier is offline
 
Matt Haxmeier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arvada  CO
Posts: 1,619
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Okay, that's fair. But why would one do it as an adult other than medical purposes, such as severe infection of the foreskin or some such thing.
As an adult I am a happily married man with little to no risk posed by STDs. The point isn't to protect an adult per se, but more likely a young adult who doesn't always make the same quality of choices that age and maturity bring. If circumcision gives my sons even a 20% better chance of not getting STDs from some drunken mistake then it's totally worth it (the study results claimed 50% for HIV). And I'm sure they'd rather I got it over when they are young and resilient and don't remember it than waiting.

Last edited by Matt Haxmeier : 01-13-2011 at 12:00 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #18
Megan Zetter
Member Megan Zetter is offline
 
Megan Zetter's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Portland  OR
Posts: 204
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Haxmeier View Post
As an adult I am a happily married man with little to no risk posed by STDs. The point isn't to protect an adult per se, but more likely a young adult who doesn't always make the same quality of choices that age and maturity bring. If circumcision gives my sons even a 20% better chance of not getting STDs from some drunken mistake then it's totally worth it (the study results claimed 50% for HIV). And I'm sure they'd rather I got it over when they are young and resilient and don't remember it than waiting.
Abstinence and or condoms is a heck of a lot more reliable than circumcision in preventing STD's!
__________________
Chiropractic physician
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:09 PM   #19
Matt Haxmeier
Member Matt Haxmeier is offline
 
Matt Haxmeier's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Arvada  CO
Posts: 1,619
Re: 5 common medical procedures

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megan Zetter View Post
Abstinence and or condoms is a heck of a lot more reliable than circumcision in preventing STD's!
Condoms sometimes fail. Abstinence mostly fails.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
Everett Steinbarger
Member Everett Steinbarger is offline
 
Everett Steinbarger's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Surry  ME
Posts: 474
Re: 5 common medical procedures

The patients I have seen have the most difficulty with being uncircumcised are the elderly. Senility and dementia can be contributing factors to a lack of hygiene and the problems that accompany it.
__________________
Rule #1: Crossfit. Zombies lead a very active life. So should you.
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Common Mistakes and Pitfalls Tom Melvin Running a CrossFit Facility 3 03-05-2010 03:56 PM
The Common Cold Chris Puckett Health and Medical Issues 5 06-18-2008 11:22 PM
Common ground...less is more Robert Pierce Health and Medical Issues 43 04-16-2008 09:10 AM
Does this have anything in common with xfit? Harry Stine Starting 5 03-30-2008 03:49 PM
Cure for the common cold Max Seid Health and Medical Issues 18 10-12-2007 03:35 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:24 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.