CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-15-2009, 08:05 PM   #11
Tom Seryak

Profile:
Re: 1st post, 1st time rhabdo.

george-

my thoughts exactly! NOONE should do that workout for their first crossfit workout especially with jumping pull-ups. hopefully, that affiliate will learn from the mistake and revise their system for progressing new clientele.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:30 PM   #12
Josh Sisson

Profile:

I understand the inclination to blame the CF affiliate, or gym, or trainer, whatever. But the fact of the matter is, I am a 31 year old man, I have been through rigorous training before and never had any side effects. That however does not mean there will never be any. I knew when I joined CF that it was a tough gym, I knew that there could be harm done, and I joined and I did the exercises, and I continued to work out after.

I am not saying to do this, I am not saying I should not have been warned. I am saying that if you do something like this you should either have enough sense to sit down with the trainer and ask him/her of the consequences or you should be ready to accept the consequences. I don't see how sueing CF would change any of this. Trust me, my wife and I talked it over while I was in the hospital, and I think the burden you carry for doing something that you know is wrong is much heavier than the burden that you carry for doing something stupid.

I do appreciate your concern, but I don't know if warning me about it would have done any good anyway. Hell, I still listen to my music too loud and sit too close to the TV.

Last edited by Josh Sisson : 01-15-2009 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:55 PM   #13
Justin Gross

Profile:

I hear what you're saying, but it is our responsibility as affiliate owners to warn our clients about, and take steps to prevent, this very real danger.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:40 PM   #14
Josh Sisson

Profile:

I understand that. I know now that I will be telling others of the danger. I do understand where you are coming from, and I have told the trainer and intend to continue to talk to him about it. I would expect that extra caution would be demonstrated in reguards to new members from now on and that the threat of rhabdo would be explained. I just believe that in my situation more caution by myself would have prevented the severity of the situation.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:06 AM   #15
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

You did a ballbuster metcon work capacity WOD followed by more pounding while running on those legs then working your back and arms by shoveling.

A few hours after something like Cindy and DOMS hasn't set in. I feel fine enough to try doing some stuff on rings until I find out I cannot do strength movements. Sure, I could do something of lower intensity. I bet it was this exactly that did you in.

I don't think the 5x5 BS and shoulder workout were over the top but rather could have pushed you over the top.

Were your legs starting to feel DOMS during the BS? How did they feel the day after? If you've never squatted a lot, 5x5 with 95 is still very intense, especially as BS crushes everything in the body. They make everything sore to newbies and done by experienced lifters, they make everything sore-period.

To end, you're both at fault. While you might think 3 rounds of Cindyx3=9 rounds of Cindy, it doesn't. Those long sets hurt a lot more than 5PU, 10Pu, and 15aSQ. Those are some longass sets meant to crush you. 3 rounds of Cindyx3 should only be attempted by someone competent in CF, equal to a L2or L3 and is an experienced CF'er. Sometimes, we say, " sure, why not, let's him " and it crushes him.

An example is my lil guy who can do Back Lever for up to 45 seconds. Probably if he was super fresh and that's all he did. It's still solid the rest of the time and beautiful.

So, one boy was doing the negative invert to back lever and I had muscle-man do back lever to invert. He had no idea how these would crush him. He tried to take his next term and I could tell he just didn't have enough rest time and he didn't know what to do with himself and understand he needed more rest. This is a kid where back lever is nothing to him. It's harder for him to do a free or wall handstand than back lever if that sounds strange enough.

Watch out, our self-ego can kill us.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:49 AM   #16
Joshua Murphy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Sisson View Post
I understand the inclination to blame the CF affiliate, or gym, or trainer, whatever. But the fact of the matter is, I am a 31 year old man, I have been through rigorous training before and never had any side effects. That however does not mean there will never be any. I knew when I joined CF that it was a tough gym, I knew that there could be harm done, and I joined and I did the exercises, and I continued to work out after.

I am not saying to do this, I am not saying I should not have been warned. I am saying that if you do something like this you should either have enough sense to sit down with the trainer and ask him/her of the consequences or you should be ready to accept the consequences. I don't see how sueing CF would change any of this. Trust me, my wife and I talked it over while I was in the hospital, and I think the burden you carry for doing something that you know is wrong is much heavier than the burden that you carry for doing something stupid.

I do appreciate your concern, but I don't know if warning me about it would have done any good anyway. Hell, I still listen to my music too loud and sit too close to the TV.
Welcome Josh, sorry to hear that you first experience with CrossFit landed you in the hospital. Your story has a lot to offer others about the risks of jumping in too fast and doing too much. It has even more to offer about self-responsibility and self-control. You seem like a stand up guy, glad to have you on the message board.

"Warp Spasm" courtesy of http://www.anne-madden.com/LeBPages/...bration21.html (WFS)
Old 01-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #17
Darin L. Deaton

Profile:

Josh I am on orthopedic physical therapist. I would consult a physician that is familiar with metabolic disorders prior to getting back into the swing of things. An endocrinologist or sports medicine specialized doc might be a good start. You just want to make sure that you have recovered fully before rocking the CF world again!

Good luck and health!
Old 01-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #18
Karen Douglas

Profile:

Hello Josh-
I just had to reply to you...

It sounds like you're a pretty tough guy! Look at all the athletics you did before you got affected... Rhabdo is a wild ride, and I've read some on it. Back in the days of old time straight-leg warfare, combat soldiers got it all the time, and nobody knew what it was or how to take care of them.

What kind of Navy are you? I'm USAF Reserve. Good stuff to defend the USA, isn't it? I can't imagine life without it. And, like you said, it's hard to take it easy during a workout when you've got the sheep dog's soul in you. I loved CrossFit since my Baghdad deployment. Until then I'd been a triathlon sissy, and was not fit to fight. A badass Navy SEAL and his team took care of me and made sure I stayed alive and in one piece. Since then, you might say I've been partial to the Navy boys. Of course, I'm assuming you're Navy, since you're in Norfolk and are dive qual'd. Then again, how did you wind up shoveling snow in Norfolk? I'm pretty close to you, and there was no snow in DC! Where are you? When was this?

I was wondering what you did to try to fix yourself during the time you toughed it out? It seems like you gutted it out and put up a pretty strong front for quite awhile before you turned yourself over to the Corpsmen. Let me guess: 800 mg motrin? Medication by Johnny Walker? More workouts? Did you get any pictures of your arms? Did they look scary & professional wrestler steroidal?

Anyhow, I'm glad you're better. And, I admire you for manning-up on it and hope to see you around VA Beach some day. I'm down there often, and will be there for the X-Fit Games regional qualifiers in April, if not sooner. Have you seen the XFit Training Facility? It's like Disneyland for CrossFitters.

I post as Spider Chick, which is a silly name I gave myself for the boards after I discovered that I can climb a rope faster than anyone. Like I'm weightless and shimmying up it. I love to race Green Berets and defeat them, but then again, I'm too slim to do much with the barbells, so my victory is always short lived.

Good Health to you Josh, and please let me know how you are. k.l.douglas@hotmail.com. You'll be back at killin' the wods in no time, I'm sure.

-Karen
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 AM   #19
Justin Lascek

Profile:

Unfortunately I think this will show CrossFit in a negative light, even if it is only a small degree. That doctor he saw will now be of the mindset that CrossFit is an absurd program that only injures people.

Thank you for the post, Josh. It lets us know that rhabdo still does occur when scaling and progression are not taken into careful consideration (and maybe if they are!). While I am of the opinion the particular affiliate should have explained rhabdo and should have taken precaution with your work load and scaling, I am glad to see that you have acknowledged your accidental ignorance on the issue.

Good luck on your rest and recovery, as well as future training.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:14 AM   #20
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

Sorry to hear your story Josh. Very glad you avoided more severe damage, and very glad you are not playing the victim. It is people like you that put a smile on my face in the midst of all this sue happy bs that makes every damned thing so expensive because of insurance costs.

You should have been told what rhabdo was, AT THE VERY LEAST someone should have told you " Crossfit and other intense workouts can cause Rhabdo. Rhabdo can kill, if you **** coffee do not pass go immediately go to the hospital".

Good luck in the future. Take some rest, and come back at it slowly. Skip the extra workouts next time :-)