CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 01-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
Josh Sisson

Profile:
1st post, 1st time rhabdo.

Hello all, first time posting and I just thought I would share some info.

I am in pretty good condition, obviously not good enough you will see by the end of this post. I just started crossfit and apparently overdid it and ended up with a 5 night stay in the hospital with rhabdo. Here is how it went down, long story.

I started crossfit tuesday at a crossfit gym near me, we did what was called cindy X3. We did a nice warm up then did:
15 pullups
30 pushups
45 squats

we did this for 20 minutes. After the warm up, where I was taught kipping pullups, and the first set of pullups I had to move to jumping pullups.
I did 3 rounds and 10 pullups after. we cooled down, and I felt good. I drank quite a bit of water before and after, for the next few days.

I, being a cocky moron, decided to workout again about 2-3 hours later, I went for a run, not long, not fast, just a run and stretching. I also shoveled snow off a roof for an hour or two, and chopped some wood. That was it for tuesday.

Wednesday, we did squats, 5X5 with weight. I only did 95lbs the whole time, they were keeping it low so I would get the form good. Again, did small workout later, and chopped wood.

Thursday.... I am sore as hell, cant stretch arms, I had never heard of rhabdo so I thought it was just muscle soreness. I did small shoulder workout on my own due to our off day at crossfit. Thursday night about 9pm i urinated what looked like coffee. I should have hit the hospital, but I thought, I must be dehydrated, so I drank water, about 11pm I was urinating pretty good, dark, but not brown, just dark yellow so I thought that was it, I was just dehydrated. Again, I had never heard of anything like rhabdo, so I did not think it was that serious.

Friday... i was sore again, urine clear, but arms were sore. about 9pm I get out of uniform and notice my arms are all swollen. well, I hit the ER then... not good. My ck levels at check-in were 138,000. I didn't know what this meant but the doc was pretty upset about it. So I was admitted, and "treated" until wednesday.

Anyway, I was released today (wednesday) and my arms are pretty weak. My ck level today was around 12,000, good enough to leave, not good though.

This I don't feel was a crisis of training, it was a crisis of ego. The trainer was very focused, and kept me from really overdoing it. I should have stopped after our workout, I have just never heard of anything like this before, and thought "I will be sore tomorrow" but did not think I could do "serious" damage.

Anyway, just thought I would share, and had a few questions. The doc said I could go back to regular workouts on monday provided my follow-up ck levels are good, under 240. I don't know that he really understands the level of workout that is involved, and I am a little nervous about starting out again. How long before I should jump back in? Also, once you have had rhabdo are you more likely to get it again, is your body more succeptable to getting it? Also, I have never used supplements or anything before, but I do eat well, is there anything I should be taking to prevent this or that can help to avoid a situation like this again?

Thanks for any info, and sorry for the longwinded post.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #2
Frank E Morel

Profile:
Re: 1st post, 1st time rhabdo.

Your VERY VERY VERY VERY LUCKY TO STILL HAVE KIDNEYS THAT WORK.

dude... why not just sit this working stuff for a month ... you need the biggest sitting on the beach therapy I have seen in a LOOOOOOOOOONG time.... then come back doing some light scaled xbrand stuff so you muscles dont decide to bench you for good.

You body didnt like the abuse you gave it... so listen to the warnings its gave you ..otherwise, its going to cash in every single free pass it has ever given you.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Josh-

Ditto what Frank said.

Good job identifying the issue - ego. CrossFit does have a way of getting into your head and making you push - HARD! We need to be vigilant in listening to our bodies, and not our egos.

Best of luck to you for a full recovery.

If you are ever in the NOVA area, stop by CF Alexandria to say hi.

Best-

Sean
Old 01-15-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Sara Fleming

Profile:

Josh,

If anything, I'm really glad you posted this. I have a hard time convincing clients to take it easy sometimes. I"m going to print this out and add it to my rhabdo files.

Hope you are feeling better soon. BTW, I'm guilty of the same, got rhabdo by pullups following some nasty plyometric metcons four years ago myself (my workout partner was a former figure and fitness competitor). I wasn't hospitalized, but was pretty sick and couldn't straighten my arms out for four days.

Sara

Last edited by Sara Fleming : 01-15-2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
Justin Gross

Profile:

GET SOME REST bro, CF will still be here when you get back!!!!!

I'm want to learn from what happened here so I can keep my clients safe, so I'm gonna do a little monday morning quarterbacking.

As far as the rhabdo, couple of risk factors stick out:

a) You say that you're in pretty good shape and you mentioned a uniform (military?). That's a risk because your mind is telling you that you're capable of pushing harder than your body can handle at this point. We don't want to feel like a p*ssy so we jump right in fell speed. This is opposed to deconditioned people who may have an idea of slowly ramping up the intensity.

b) Performing high rep exercises right off the bat, especially jumping pull ups which have a heavy eccentric component, can do a lot of damage to muscle tissue that isn't conditioned to it yet.

Those in the know please let me know how accurate this is.

Last edited by Justin Gross : 01-15-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:31 PM   #6
Josh Sisson

Profile:

Thanks to all, I will be taking some rest time, my right arm is still pretty swollen and tight so I will definately be taking some time off. Its rough having to just sit out, but I definately don't feel like a repeat visit to the hospital... although breakfast in bed was pretty nice.

Justin, a) yes I am military and that probably played into it a bit. I have been through dive school and thought that if I didn't get hurt there from workouts than it probably wouldn't happen. Also, I am a diver, so naturally my ego was superinflated and I didn't want to be outdone, nice huh, five days in the hospital and plenty of rest time will teach me that lesson.

b) I have done quite a bit of reading here in the last 24 and it looks like there is something about the jumping pullups that gets ya. Also the trainer said the same thing.

Thanks all.
Old 01-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #7
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Sisson View Post
I started crossfit tuesday at a crossfit gym near me, we did what was called cindy X3. We did a nice warm up then did:
15 pullups
30 pushups
45 squats

we did this for 20 minutes. After the warm up, where I was taught kipping pullups, and the first set of pullups I had to move to jumping pullups.
I did 3 rounds and 10 pullups after. we cooled down, and I felt good. I drank quite a bit of water before and after, for the next few days.

I, being a cocky moron, decided to workout again about 2-3 hours later, I went for a run, not long, not fast, just a run and stretching. I also shoveled snow off a roof for an hour or two, and chopped some wood. That was it for tuesday.
I actually wouldn't blame you here. I would blame your CF gym for overdoing it with a new person, especially the jumping pull-ups. That is downright unsafe on their part and you could have, and probably should have sued the crap out of them for having you do that as a starting out workout.

Quote:
Wednesday, we did squats, 5X5 with weight. I only did 95lbs the whole time, they were keeping it low so I would get the form good. Again, did small workout later, and chopped wood.
That is bad on them again. They did 95lbs so you could get form down? Even the great Rip suggests if you can't do it with only the bar, you shouldn't be doing any weight. I have to question this CF gym a lot here...you would have thought after the last litigation fiasco they would have learned.

Quote:
Thursday.... I am sore as hell, cant stretch arms, I had never heard of rhabdo so I thought it was just muscle soreness. I did small shoulder workout on my own due to our off day at crossfit. Thursday night about 9pm i urinated what looked like coffee. I should have hit the hospital, but I thought, I must be dehydrated, so I drank water, about 11pm I was urinating pretty good, dark, but not brown, just dark yellow so I thought that was it, I was just dehydrated. Again, I had never heard of anything like rhabdo, so I did not think it was that serious.
My jaw is dropping here after seeing this in your post. That gym is completely liable in this case, and you should seek a lawyer. That is unbelievably negligent on their part.

Quote:
Friday... i was sore again, urine clear, but arms were sore. about 9pm I get out of uniform and notice my arms are all swollen. well, I hit the ER then... not good. My ck levels at check-in were 138,000. I didn't know what this meant but the doc was pretty upset about it. So I was admitted, and "treated" until wednesday.

Anyway, I was released today (wednesday) and my arms are pretty weak. My ck level today was around 12,000, good enough to leave, not good though.

This I don't feel was a crisis of training, it was a crisis of ego. The trainer was very focused, and kept me from really overdoing it. I should have stopped after our workout, I have just never heard of anything like this before, and thought "I will be sore tomorrow" but did not think I could do "serious" damage.

Anyway, just thought I would share, and had a few questions. The doc said I could go back to regular workouts on monday provided my follow-up ck levels are good, under 240. I don't know that he really understands the level of workout that is involved, and I am a little nervous about starting out again. How long before I should jump back in? Also, once you have had rhabdo are you more likely to get it again, is your body more succeptable to getting it? Also, I have never used supplements or anything before, but I do eat well, is there anything I should be taking to prevent this or that can help to avoid a situation like this again?

Thanks for any info, and sorry for the longwinded post.
Go back? Seriously? You aught to go seek legal counsel, not go back to a gym that isn't fit to run its business.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Robert Laken

Profile:

George, the guy admitted he did a lot of physical activity outside of crossfit and called himself a moron for doing so, to blame his Rhabdo strictly on crossfit would be a tough sell in my opinion.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:55 PM   #9
Steven Low

Profile:

Bah.

I'm seriously gonna write something up on rhabdo soon.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:04 PM   #10
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Laken View Post
George, the guy admitted he did a lot of physical activity outside of crossfit and called himself a moron for doing so, to blame his Rhabdo strictly on crossfit would be a tough sell in my opinion.
Yet people scoffed at the last little case of rhabdo that got a lot more attention. Let us not turn away from this, let us learn from it.

Putting the blame on one's self is a common approach when a person doesn't have enough information to blame anyone else, or is scared of the repercussions of doing so. Kids do it all the time when their parents get divorced. They don't understand the whole situation (legally, ethically, or morally) so therefore the only person they have left to blame is themselves.

Why wasn't he (allegedly per his post) informed of the dangers by the gym? That is a huge foul! Let's not beat around the bush on that one, and hopefully affiliates will take it as a learning lesson. They need to be sitting down with clients and having a frank discussion about the possible dangers that CF workouts can cause, what to look for, and what to do about symptoms. And why the heck was he doing a workout like that on his first day?