CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 08-11-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
Michael McElroy

Profile:
If my endurance and conditioning is weak should i run sprints more regularly? everytime the WOD consist of any running i pretty much die. So should i run more or just let the WOD condition me and push myself harder on them?
Old 08-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #2
Aushion Chatman

Profile:
good question...
Old 08-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #3
Motion Macivor

Profile:
Train your weakness win on your strength.
(If that does'nt help I'll see if I can hurl another catch phrase at you)
Old 08-11-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
William Winger

Profile:
I say add it as long as it doesn't reduce your ability to do the WoDs at full intensity (including your ability to sufficiently recover from them day to day).

I guess the best possible situation is to have your cake and eat it too right? To run extra sprints and yet not get tired....

If you give the WoDs enough time they'll condition you.

(Message edited by dubdub on August 11, 2006)
Old 08-11-2006, 03:09 PM   #5
Ian Carver

Profile:
Michael- I was thinking about your question for a while - it's a good one. I don't necesarily think there would be anything wrong with you going out and running to add base endurance and stamina, and then tweak the dial to hit your sterngth and power outputs. But, with that being said, I think it would be detracting from the fitness methodology behind Crossfit.

It would make more sense to me to use the WOD's as a means of endurance and condintioning. This is due to the fact that I believe only running will play a somewhat one dimensional part in your fitness. I think you would be better off incorporating your entire body into your conditioning plan as this would allow you to address muscle and physiological fitness issues on several planes at once, versus running where you are only getting the lower body chain involved.

As far as cardio is concerned, the heart and lungs don't know what the exercise is that is making them work so hard, but the muscles of the body do. Your body will know that it needs to make certain physiological changes in order to meet the demands placed upon it now and increasingly in the future. That in turn would equal a better form of overall conditioning. This form of muti dimensional conditioning requires more of the body, but it also give back more in the way of long term and real life benefits.

I would continue with the WOD and scale it back a bit, either in intensity and/or weight until you start getting to a comfortable fitness level. Go into it easy and work up, anyway you cut it, the WOD is gonna kick some butt, I just don't want you getting hurt or keeling over because of it. If you need to take a short break between exercises or slow the tempo of a run, then by all means do it. That is only a temporary thing that will go away upon your improvement. Don't think that the rest of us out here don't break mid-set with our hands on our knees gasping for air from time to time.

Lastly, consider this. Many CF'ers have found this methodology to be all the conditioning they need to participate/compete in other sporting events (runs, inline racing, hockey, triathlons) without dedicating loads of time to sports specific training which in turn may act negatively towards other areas of training. This training allows a person to do prescribed WOD's, build tremendous conditioning, and then do something out of the ordinary involving a bit more endurance/conditioning (ie- 5k, 10k run WOD) and do pretty good at it. Of course if you want to do really well in a given event, you can add some specific training to your workouts, but I think you get the point. It is the overall involvement of the body, the stresses placed upon it, and the consequential adaptation to that stress that makes the success in the athlete and the CF program. The combination of interval and endurance training in CF is huge and it works very well for anyone who has the fortitude and determination to get through it on the path to better fitness.

Hopefully this helps a bit. As I said, this is my take on it and what I would do for myself or someone else. As with everything here in CF land, try it and see if it works, if it doesn't try something else until you find the magic combo. Good luck!
Old 08-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #6
George Brothers

Profile:
michael
how long have you been doing xfit for?
anecdotally i have found that if your conditioning stinks prior to starting xfit then it will still be a problem for the first several months. that is why there is the recommendation for people to scale the wods initially. if you look at a monthly collection of wods you will see that there is much randomness to what you do in the month. if after one month you expect your strength and endurance to skyrocket then you have to get off the pipe. but give this six months to a year and you will see a difference in both. xfit's motto somewhere on this site is that this is training for general physical preparedness. that means not being the best at one thing but being good at them all. but to answer your ?, there are plenty of folks who do crossfit type workouts but dont necessarily follow the daily wod. if there is an area that you want to improve upon you could take one day of the 3 day rotation and focus on that. for example i too am a slow plodder when it comes to running. i want to run a 3k with my wife this october. so i run 3k one day, do some oly lifting the next and then do a metabolic conditioning workout for the third. my fourth day i stretch a lot and use my foam roller and do chores for activity. i think this is a rotation that i will keep for most of the year since at one point i did run quite a bit and just like that feeling. but there will be some weeks that i will lay off the running and spend a little bit more on oly lifting or met con or a week where it is all about hiking, biking, paddling.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #7
Michael McElroy

Profile:
I've been playing w/ xfit for about 2 months now but only serious and 100 percent for about two weeks. I know this will help my conditioning a ton i was just wondering if it was ok to try to speed the process but doing a few extra sprints along with the WOD's.
Old 08-11-2006, 09:47 PM   #8
Adam Stanecki

Profile:
If I can't get into the gym to do the rx'd WOD, I generally mix up various types of running (ie. med distance, sprints, hill sprints, fartlek) and then throw in some body weight work at high intensity. This gives me a great workout and also allows me to get outside and run which I do enjoy.

To answer your question Michael, I don't see any issue either choosing to follow the WODs and scaling them or modifying your workout within the CF framework to incorporate some more running. The beauty of CF is that you take what works and apply it to yourself.