CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 01-14-2011, 10:49 AM   #11
Justin McGinley

Profile:
Re: Is just doing the WOD itself enough

If you want to get ripped, you need to eat better.

You probably know this already. Abs are made in the kitchen.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:00 PM   #12
James White

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
The WOD is definitely enough. If your goal is to get ripped without geting too bulky then mainsite will get you there.

And 5-3-1, Starting Strength, etc. aren't really Crossfit. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I assume you are on here because you want Crossfit, so why not do Crossfit.
"too bulky" is a pretty subjective term

I've heard some folks say that "CrossFit makes women hot and men small."

So...it really depends on the OP's perspective. Like Eric said, the OP's goals need to be dialed in a little better for him to get the answer he's looking for.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:16 PM   #13
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:

And 5-3-1, Starting Strength, etc. aren't really Crossfit. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I assume you are on here because you want Crossfit, so why not do Crossfit.
CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program, no?
Old 01-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #14
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara Cohen View Post
CrossFit is a strength and conditioning program, no?
All programs are strength and conditioning programs, that doesn't make them Crossfit. The unique thing about crossfit is the variation -- different exercises, different set/rep schemes, etc. If you do something like starting strength or 5-3-1 where you focus on a handful of movements, done in similar set/rep schemes for an extended period of time you are about as far from the training philosophy of Crossfit as you can get.
Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 PM   #15
Tamara Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
All programs are strength and conditioning programs, that doesn't make them Crossfit. The unique thing about crossfit is the variation -- different exercises, different set/rep schemes, etc. If you do something like starting strength or 5-3-1 where you focus on a handful of movements, done in similar set/rep schemes for an extended period of time you are about as far from the training philosophy of Crossfit as you can get.
But, no one is arguing that 5/3/1 or 3x5 sets on their own are CrossFit. The OP asked if doing the WOD itself is enough. My answer would be no. I think you need dedicated strength programming as well. In my opinion, this applies to both the average CrossFitter and to Games competitors. And, everyone knows that Games competitors are doing dedicated strength programming.
Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 PM   #16
Todd D Halls

Profile:

"I am mainly looking to get fit and ripped up as opposed to trying to bulk up although I'd like to put on some muscle in the process."

You can accomplish this by just doing the WOD if you can bring the intensity, although as Eric pointed out, your goals need to be defined better.
It is possible that doing the WOD 3 on 1 off will be too much and will leave you less fit than you are now.
As stated previously "ripped up" happens in the kitchen.

"Do others think simply doing the WOD is enough to see dramatic results or do you recommend supplementing other workouts as well?"

I followed the main site for about 18 months and have had great results. I would not say they were "dramatic" results but they are great.
I recently (3 weeks ago) switched to Lascek's simple strength and conditioning model. I just don't have the basic strength requirements to perform well and get the most from the WODS.

Do the WOD, just the WOD. Give it 3 months, then evaluate your progress and see if you are going to stick with it or supplement with something else or cut back to allow for recovery.
Keep track of your times/performance so you have a gauge to measure against in 3 months other than "fit and ripped up".