CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 01-20-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
Luis Braga

Profile:
Re: new to CF.. need help on good pair of shoes

thanks guys i will narrow it down to nano and nb.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:47 AM   #12
James Gist

Profile:

I have a pair of the Innov-8 F-lite 230's and I really like them. It's my first minimalist shoe I think the 6mm drop is appropriate for me. Still enough cushion that I can do the short runs in WOD's with no problem but I still feel stable doing the O-lifts.

I haven't tried any of the other shoes you mentioned but you may be able to try a pair of the Innov-8's...something I wasn't able to do with the nano's.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:53 AM   #13
Dave Andrews

Profile:

Go to a quality shoe store, and get them to fit you for a shoe based on your arch and foot shape. Try on a bunch of shoes and do some jogging and squats in the store. Dont concern yourself with the aesthetics, but rather your pronation while running, support while lifting, and overall comfort. Buy shoes online only if you have already tried them in store.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #14
Scott Hall

Profile:

What about some of the Nike Free Trainers? Still too much cushioning? I'm looking to use shoes I already own if possible
Old 01-22-2013, 05:35 PM   #15
Gabriel Aguilar

Profile:

a bunch of ppl at the box i go to have the nike free runs and they love them. but then again the ppl who use them aren't to serious about crossfitting. i like my nano 2's 10 times better than my old Inov-8's.

also really like my OLY's but like others have stated u cant do much more than lift, jumprope, and boxjump in them.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #16
Scott Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Aguilar View Post
a bunch of ppl at the box i go to have the nike free runs and they love them. but then again the ppl who use them aren't to serious about crossfitting. i like my nano 2's 10 times better than my old Inov-8's.

also really like my OLY's but like others have stated u cant do much more than lift, jumprope, and boxjump in them.
So am I not serious about crossfitting because I don't want to go spend $90 or more on a pair of shoes? I thought a good shoe was a lightweight, low-profile shoe that didn't have too much cushioning for doing any lifts. As I said, looking to hopefully get some more life out of what I already own. Also have some old Onitsuka Tiger Ultimate 81's that seem pretty solid. Between the supplements, gear and costs of either joining a box or outfitting your own gym, Crossfitters must have the most disposable income ever
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 AM   #17
Patrick Rushbrook

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Hall View Post
What about some of the Nike Free Trainers? Still too much cushioning? I'm looking to use shoes I already own if possible
I've had 3 pair of Frees. They're a great, comfortable shoe. I did all my lifts in them for a long time. They improved after I went to a Vibram, and improved even more when I went to the Nano 2. I still wear Free Run as my daily shoe. They're a great shoe, and extremely durable considering they feel like they're made of tissue paper. I've washed my old ones over and over and it took over a year to see any fraying. I'll sing their praises all day, BUT..they aren't the best for lifts. For running, though, they can't be beat.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:26 AM   #18
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Nike Frees are not ideal because even though Nike says they're minimalist, they really aren't. Just look at how thick the sole is and how much drop there is from heel to toe. A thick and cushioned sole is not what you want for squats, deadlifts, Oly lifts, etc.

The Onitsuka Tigers would be a far better option than the Nikes, or check out something like these or these (both WFS). If you poke around on Amazon or EBay you may be able to find them a little cheaper.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Scott Hall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Nike Frees are not ideal because even though Nike says they're minimalist, they really aren't. Just look at how thick the sole is and how much drop there is from heel to toe. A thick and cushioned sole is not what you want for squats, deadlifts, Oly lifts, etc.

The Onitsuka Tigers would be a far better option than the Nikes, or check out something like these or these (both WFS). If you poke around on Amazon or EBay you may be able to find them a little cheaper.
Thanks for the info. My brother in law actually has those MX20s and loves them. I'd like to get at least 7-8 more months out of my shoes before buying new ones. I've also seen in several different threads now people mention Chuck Taylors for lifting... I might do that as well as a cheaper option
Old 01-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #20
Scott Sebelius

Profile:

If you do rope climbs a lot you're going to tear up the Nike Frees and almost most other softer soled shoes. Just something to keep in mind.

We did an AMRAP workout containing rope climbs today (ended with 14 total + 5-10 during warmup) and my MX10's were completely destroyed after. Huge chunk taken out of the outer sole. I'll try and grab a picture later to show.