CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-05-2006, 05:55 PM   #41
Steven Low

Profile:
I agree with Andrew here on both accounts... you really need to eat more. I'm 5'8" 133ish and I have to eat nearly ~2400 cals/day to maintain. Using Starting Strength, your goal right now should be to beef up your strength and to gain lean muscle mass which means you will have to eat a bit over your maintenance level of cals or nearly at your maintenance level to make decent gains. You also probably want to scale down the CF days somewhat and really ease into CF if at all possible. If you're new, there's no way you can handle SS with CF... In fact, Coach Rippetoe I think said that it would be best to just work on your strength first and I agree with that sentiment (in my first post). Combining the two would be *very* rough on your body, but if you want to give it a shot, go for it.
Old 09-06-2006, 03:09 AM   #42
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Caz,

You need to eat more! I think the minimal levels needed by an active male is somewhere around 1800 calories (not 1200). Realistically with your activity you will need more than 1800...possbily 2500-3000 if you are looking for any kind of muscle gain. Remember the old saying that you don't grow muscle in the gym, you tear it down and grow outside with food, recovery and rest. If your calories are too low all you will do is lower your metabolism, destroy more muscle and strain your immune system. Eat, eat, eat.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:45 AM   #43
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
Wow,...gold mine.

Thanks all, for the nutrition info. I've been looking for guidance on food intake in this thread since the initial posts. Been doing Crossfit since Feb 06 and I feel comfortable scaling the program to fit my abilities. But now I’m trying to build some muscle mass per this thread so I want to put the primary focus on SS and it’s dietary requirements.

I thought SS’s increased muscle required more calories and I wasn’t sure how this conflicted / agreed with the Zone’s relatively low cals requirements and my goal of decreasing body fat.

You guys are all probably pretty lean so I'm still not sure how much of my 24% of body fat (175# total) can be used as fuel for the SS muscle and how much I need to increase my blocks.

Regardless of how much I’m eating, I’ll add in Crossfit WODs as I’m able. I’ll watch for signs of overtraining and won’t kill myself.

Thanks again, all!
Old 09-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #44
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:
And I just reread the post I made yesterday. The weight/% I cite is different. My 24%/175# is as of this morning, so I looks like I dropped 10 lbs in the last couple months.
Old 09-06-2006, 12:14 PM   #45
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
As long as you continue dropping body fat that is what matters. It's really hard to gain muscle quick while losing fat...some might say can't be done. It's more gradual, remember if you can gain 0.5lb of muscle in a week it is alot! Be patient and have a long term plan. I'd still work on getting your BF down, work on some strength movements to increase strength and then go after size. It will be easier to get size once your strength increases.