CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 07-23-2009, 09:42 PM   #1
Maciej Dunski

Profile:
L Elbow injury - rehab/recovery tips

Hi all

I'm after some advice on rehab/recovery of Left Elbow injury.

Quick Background - early June, dodgy pullup bar gave way and I landed from a decent height on my LHS lumbar area and elbow. Initially feared fractures, but mostly some soft tissue damange. Back rehabbed OK am back to SQ, DL etc with no pain (not to my previous weights, but getting there). Dynamic movements are also OK (KB swings, SDHP etc). (Note to self: don't trust pullup stations in public parks...)

But...

My L elbow still gives me grief. I can't seem to fully lock it out and when fully bent, I have a pain in the joint. Now, there was a suspected hairline fracture, but the X-ray didn't really show it - just a Dr. diagnosis - I suspect it might have been fractured. Immediately after injury I had it in the sling, as I couldn't move it without significant pain. It improved over a week or so with ice etc.

Now I'm having trouble with most pushing movements - push ups, presses etc, mostly at the bottom of the movement, ie when fully bent. I get some wrist pain associated with this as well. All forms of cleans are out...too painful to rack the bar, even unloaded. Also (and I hope this explanation makes sense..) when I hold out my arm straight, and rotate it externally (ie left) I feel some tension and bit of pain at the top of the forearm/elbow joing on the LHS.

Pullups are OK, but I can feel tension in the elbow joing at the top of the pull.

Had some physio, primarily for the back, and only one 1/2session for the elbow. I'm considering going back in a few weeks if this doesn't improve, but I thought I try asking here first.

I'm thinking of sticking with pushups, but not to push too hard. I try to hyper-extend the elbow joint (some pain) and stretch the triceps regularly.

Any other ideas from the CF nation? Thank you in anticipation.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 PM   #2
Steven Low

Profile:
Re: L Elbow injury - rehab/recovery tips

Sounds like something you should discuss with your physio.

Tell him/her that you need him/her to get you back in shape athletically, and they should be able to help you beyond "rehab to be functional again" like most people.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 PM   #3
Maciej Dunski

Profile:

Thanks Steven. I will be doing that. I was hoping for some additional "CF" wisdom of experience to complement the physio-led rehab.

M
Old 07-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #4
Mark Martinez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maciej Dunski View Post
Thanks Steven. I will be doing that. I was hoping for some additional "CF" wisdom of experience to complement the physio-led rehab.

M
First, I'm not a doc. I'm just sharing my own experience.

If you had a hairline fx, f/u x-rays should show some form of calcification. Your symptoms sound a lot like lateral epicondylitis. Does it hurt to palpate the left portion of your elbow (the capitellum or condylar area)? I hurt my left elbow a few months ago and I'm still suffering. I've been told to lay-off. I'm stubborn though. I did the same thing to my right elbow with shoulder flyes years ago. It took almost a year to heal while being moderately active(a lot of babying).

Now, I use the pain in my left elbow to gauge my form during cleans (it's when I suffer most; pain is usually with full arm extension with weights). I know form is breaking down or weight is too heavy if pain starts. Use ice, massage, and elbow straps. Stop working out if you want it to heal, as fast as possible.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
Maciej Dunski

Profile:

Thanks for sharing your experience Mark. Much appreciated.

I had a physio session yesterday, and she suggested that there might be some bone-brusing still causing pain at the extremes of ROM. Got some additional stretching and "strenghtening" exercies to do for another week, and they a checkup.

I'm taking it easy this week and sticking to movements that are pain-free...

Right now, I think "PATIENCE" should be the 11th pillar of fitness....

Thanks for all your help.