CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 03-02-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
John Rowland

Profile:
Hey guys just wanted to introduce myself to the boards seein as I have been trollin for awhile now. Have always been in pretty good shape, well let me rephrase always been pretty strong and had some good speed endurance but certain things were lacking as I have come to find out. Have known about this site for awhile now and have done a few of the girls and liked em just never really was able to implement em into my workouts. Well I've been slowly implementin em into my workouts more and more here the last couple of weeks and I must say I am pretty sore and thats unusual for me especially since hte workouts or so much shorter than my usualy hour and a half in the gym doin the traditional stuff, which is very boring btw. Now with that I wanted to get some tips and advice from you guys. While I want to get the whole package as far as agility, strength, etc etc goes there is the asthetic part which lets not kid ourselves everyone wants to look good. I am currently at like 10% BF at 5'10 175ish lbs and wanna lose some of that fat and gain some pounds 10 at max. Now with just the WoDs can I do that or do I gotta implement the black boxes and OLADs, which I have done searches on and cant really find anything maybe I just aint lookin in the right place. Would love some pointers and advice fromyou guys seien as you guys are the subject matter experts. Well I am rambling and dont need to just wanted to introduce myself and commend you guys here on your motivation and support of others its hard to find sometimes. Keep on keepin on
Old 03-02-2006, 07:58 PM   #2
Chris Jordan

Profile:
I'm no expert but I'll weigh in anyway. I would suggest you give the main page WOD your best for a couple of months and see what happens. I doubt that it will be time wasted. I see my CrossFit experience as a continual experiment. I don't think I'm alone. Try something, evaluate your results, noodle with it some more, evaluate again.

Most recently Julie and I are focusing on diet. I know what I weigh and I know how I'm performing. After a month on the zone I'll compare notes, adjust and go again. That's the game.
Old 03-03-2006, 05:45 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Hi John, ramp up slowly with the WODs, hold off on the extra work or modification of the program for about 3 months (like Chris says). Once you have an idea of what's holding back your WOD times, you could do a three month cycle to fix the problem. If it's strength, you may tinker in a different way than if its running or gymnastics. Give the WOD a go first.
Old 03-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
Tim Weaver

Profile:
You know, folks who have 10-15% BF and complain about being overweight just SUCK. :-)
Old 03-05-2006, 10:15 AM   #5
John Vivian

Profile:
John, you might want to look at diet as well. Chris has the right idea in terms of following the Zone diet and taking notes to compare against. Diet plays a crucial role in modifying body composition, so following the Zone (especially coupled with Paleo-friendly food sources) can really have a major impact.

john
Old 03-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #6
John Rowland

Profile:
lol didnt say I thought I was overweight I know that I aint just wanna get it down some. Yeh I plan on workin my way into the zone diet and change it based on how it makes me feel. Once again great site and very informative been gettin alot of info from it.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:05 AM   #7
Tony Young

Profile:
John,
Good thread here on gaining lean mass on the the Zone and WOD. There are several on the Nutrition page. In short, figure your blocks, add some and a block or two extra fat, work real hard.