CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 02-12-2006, 07:29 PM   #1
Jeff Haas

Profile:
What Do You Think--Allow me to introduce myself, I'm 52 yrs old,been working out a long time,ran track in college,high colored belts in Judo and Karate,thought I knew a lot about fitness.Thought wrong.Been doing CF for a month.The other day doing the WOD and all of a sudden hit a gear like I never experianced,felt as strong as I ever felt.Here is the question, my son,a freshman basketball player,not very strong,fast or quick,but with excellant hand eye coordination and a great dribbler and shooter wants me to design a workout program in the off season,any downside to CF for a 14 year old?
Old 02-12-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
Jeff Martin

Profile:
Not unless you consider getting stronger and faster a downside. I have had my son Connor on it for a couple of years, and my 12 year old has been on it for a year now. Both recently broke their school records for pull ups.
Old 02-19-2006, 06:04 PM   #3
Lisa Ray

Profile:
And if Jeff isn't going to put in a plug for his CrossFit Kids newsletter, I will! Strongly recommend you look at the newsletter BrandX puts out. It's free and full of great info. http://www.brandxmartialarts.com/.
Old 02-19-2006, 08:49 PM   #4
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Hello everybody I am the new gal on the block...cant wait to get started in fact tomorrow is my First day. I noticed though there is much Homework getting to know the exercises and formatting them for myself whether its at the gym or park..am I making it out to be more than it really is?
Old 02-20-2006, 01:03 AM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Welcome Florsie!

Jeff - 14 year olds thrive on CrossFit. I train two young teens around that age right now along with their moms. It is great for all of them to see their respective strengths and weaknesses. I also train my own nine year old son and teach a kids class at the Santa Cruz gym. Jeff Martin teaches kids of all ages besides Connor and his other two boys (both younger than Connor).

The main thing with kids is to make it fun. On the other hand, 14 seems like the perfect age where they have begun to develop the sense of pushing themselves for future gains - like your son asking for off season training with you. I really think it is the perfect age.

As far as actually designing something for him, I would suggest checking out Jeff Martin's CrossFit discussion boards where they have a daily kids workout that is scaled for three levels already. Just use that. The danger in trying to do it yourself is that you might miss out on certain things. Same issue with creating our own programing. There seems to be a natural tendency towards either doing only what your good at or only what you consider your weakness. And the essence of CrossFit is variety, if not random, functional workouts done at high intensity.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM   #6
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Florsie,

It can be overwhelming if you jump into a WOD you're not ready for. Read, read and read on this site. It's sure not rocket science but there are details that you don't want to compromise; chiefly among them, FORM in your exercises.

The great thing about CF is that they go to such lengths to 'splain the movements. Check the Exercises section and the FAQ a lot. You will develop a good idea where your skills and weaknesses are quickly.

Then ask here if and when you need more clarification! Someone will always be around to set you in the right direction. Beth and Jeff above are about two of the best sources of input you could have. Good luck!
Old 02-20-2006, 03:23 PM   #7
Steve Serrano

Profile:
Jeff H.,

My daughters, a 15 y/o water polo player and her 9 and 6 y/o sisters (soccer players), each do modified WODs while my wife and I do ours. The intensity may vary, and the exercises are quite modified, but the elements still remain: functional and varied exercises done in an intense manner. For my kids that equals fun.

Jeff's guide at Brand-X is about as good as it gets. My version is less creative but the kids are still benefiting. I just wish we could have them do it more frequently. Sometimes they lose out when we do our WOD's at a gym.

I'm sure your boy's improvements will be very noticeable.
Old 02-20-2006, 04:07 PM   #8
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Hey Serrano...thanks for the tip greatly appreciated I am about to go hit the WOD
Old 02-20-2006, 07:33 PM   #9
Jeff Haas

Profile:
Sounds Great, 2 questions 1)Where is Jeff Martin's guide for kids 2) For both my kid and me,is there anyone available in the East Texas,Tyler,area or if need be the Dallas area who could teach us the proper form for the various lifts such as the clean,jerk,snatch etc(these are lifts I never did)?The videos are good but the real thing would be better ThanksThanks l
Old 02-20-2006, 10:17 PM   #10
Florsie Amaral

Profile:
Hello all of your crossfit vets....thought I'd share the fact that I THE "WOD Rookie" survived my first WOD!!!!