CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 08-26-2009, 10:06 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
So I just did a stool transit time test

I used beets. From the time I consumed the beets until I saw the red in my stool, it was about 44 hours.

12-24 hours is optimal.

SoI know now that I have poor transit time. what does this mean? Am I just not taking in enough fiber? I usually get plenty of fiber. Well, even though it's way more than your average american, it may be less than optimal. I usually have one piece of fruit and a cup each [measured when raw] celery, cauliflower, bell peppers and onions on a daily basis.

However, the day that I did the test and the day prior AND the day after, I didn't get much fiber. I don't know if that may have had anything to do w/it.

So my question is, what am I to conclude from this? And what can I do to improve it?
Old 08-26-2009, 11:53 AM   #2
Sean Dunston

Profile:
Re: So I just did a stool transit time test

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
I used beets. From the time I consumed the beets until I saw the red in my stool, it was about 44 hours.

12-24 hours is optimal.

SoI know now that I have poor transit time. what does this mean? Am I just not taking in enough fiber? I usually get plenty of fiber. Well, even though it's way more than your average american, it may be less than optimal. I usually have one piece of fruit and a cup each [measured when raw] celery, cauliflower, bell peppers and onions on a daily basis.

However, the day that I did the test and the day prior AND the day after, I didn't get much fiber. I don't know if that may have had anything to do w/it.

So my question is, what am I to conclude from this? And what can I do to improve it?
Change your diet.

This may fall into the TMI category - but if you get into the Zone, and especially Zone-Paleo, you will quickly become... err... more "regular". you should also see some fantastic results in burning BF% off your body.

I have been eating Zone, mostly Paleo, for almost exactly 2 years now.
What you listed above for your daily roughage intake would be about 1/4 of my daily carb (roughage) intake. I eat the equivalent of 2 cups of mixed fruit, 2-3 apples, 6-10 dried apricots, and 2 large salads -- every day.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:10 PM   #3
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Change your diet.

This may fall into the TMI category - but if you get into the Zone, and especially Zone-Paleo, you will quickly become... err... more "regular". you should also see some fantastic results in burning BF% off your body.

I have been eating Zone, mostly Paleo, for almost exactly 2 years now.
What you listed above for your daily roughage intake would be about 1/4 of my daily carb (roughage) intake. I eat the equivalent of 2 cups of mixed fruit, 2-3 apples, 6-10 dried apricots, and 2 large salads -- every day.
Actually, I'm day 9 of Zone Paleo! But I must admit, I haven't been getting all of my carb blocks. So it's mainly a fiber issue? I guess it'll get better as long as I stick w/this paleo diet, as long as I get all of my necessary carb blocks.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:21 PM   #4
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

I've always had a similar problem. Even eating paleo the last 6 months or so, I'm not sure its improved a whole lot. Though, I only get my veggies through ~3-4 cups worth of frozen broccoli / mixed veg / peas / carrots every day. Plus I always eat some piece of fruit (apple, pear, peach) and some berries (strawberries, blueberries, raspberries).

Maybe I need to start eating a big salad.
Old 08-26-2009, 12:23 PM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahya Kohgadai View Post
Actually, I'm day 9 of Zone Paleo! But I must admit, I haven't been getting all of my carb blocks. So it's mainly a fiber issue? I guess it'll get better as long as I stick w/this paleo diet, as long as I get all of my necessary carb blocks.
Eat those carbs (aka, fruits and veggies)!
Choice of carbs is an issue for some people on the Zone - but since you are doing Zone-Paleo, that shouldn't be a problem.

You seem to be about my size, so I am guessing our LBM is similar. I'm on a 16 block diet. Look at CFJ 21 and pick out 16 or 17 blocks of the so-called "favorable carbs" (they're all Paleo, if memory serves) and then see how much you've been missing from your diet.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM   #6
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Dunston View Post
Eat those carbs (aka, fruits and veggies)!
Choice of carbs is an issue for some people on the Zone - but since you are doing Zone-Paleo, that shouldn't be a problem.

You seem to be about my size, so I am guessing our LBM is similar. I'm on a 16 block diet. Look at CFJ 21 and pick out 16 or 17 blocks of the so-called "favorable carbs" (they're all Paleo, if memory serves) and then see how much you've been missing from your diet.
well, we're about the same weight but since you're way leaner than me, my LBM is probably at least 5-10lbs less. Maybe I should cut down to 14 blocks.

But yeah, I have that cf journal, and can get all of my blocks if I get half of them from fruit but I'm trying to lean out and keep my fruits down to maybe a quarter of my daily blocks.. I guess Ill have to ramp up the veggies!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:05 PM   #7
Matt Berardi

Profile:

maybe I'm missing the point but personally, regardless of what type of food, paleo, fast food, high fat low fat, whatever it is, the time it takes for food to get from my mouth to the bowl is most directly linked to the QUANTITY of food I'm eating. If I eat breakfast and then eat a huge lunch and dinner my body makes space for the next meal by excreting the last one. I almost always have bowel movements in harmony with meals.

cliffs: If you're not pooping enough, maybe you're not eating enough?
Old 08-26-2009, 02:12 PM   #8
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Berardi View Post

cliffs: If you're not pooping enough, maybe you're not eating enough?
or you are not eating "right"
Old 08-26-2009, 04:57 PM   #9
Tom Reyes

Profile:

Why? Why would you do this without knowing what you're looking for? Why would you share this with others?
Old 08-26-2009, 08:05 PM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Sometimes ya gotta know things.

Only day 9 isn't a long enough time to notice a change imo, min of 2-3 weeks.

How was your dietary intake before? Lots of fiber.