CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-25-2006, 05:31 AM   #1
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Every Monday and Thursday I have mandatory physical training for one hour. It always consists of:
-pushups
-situps
-a run

Extra exercises are also thrown in there usually such as flutter kicks, body-builders, and lunges. Everything is body-weight only and high rep.

How should I go about working in the CF workouts into my week? I figure if I leave Sunday as a rest day (which has been workign out well for me) then I have four days where I can CF. How should I choose which workouts to do, or can I combine workouts?

Thank you,
-Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 06:14 AM   #2
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
When I was in the military, I switched all my units workouts to crossfit, but i suppose that will depend on your rank, but you could still suggest it to the higher ups. If you must do the mandatory P.T then i would do that and you could stay on the crossfit schedule, and maybe sometimes double up with crossfit and P.T workouts, depending on your physical condition, or crossfit on the days you don't have P.T and just do the crossfit workout that is closest to that day if it is a crossfit rest day.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
Michael Lynn

Profile:
My supervisor is actually the one who recommended it to me. I'm in ROTC, and since we need to workout as a unit, we can't fund the resources to effectively CF.

Thanks for the advice, sounds like a good plan to me.

-Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #4
Luis Munoz

Profile:
There are a ton of options available to you. The one that seems most suitable if you like having Sundays off is to go with a 5 day on, 2 day off program with the weekends being the rest days.

As far as group PT goes, there's nothing wrong with high-rep, bodyweight workouts (as long as the intensity is high). Depending on who is leading PT, you could easily make it a CF bodyweight workout (Angie, Barbara, Cindy, Annie, etc) on Monday and Thursday. If that option is not available to you then you can stick to their workout and just add some additional skill work in at some other point in the day (L-sit and handstand practice, ring work, etc).

That would leave you with Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday to do your remaining CF workouts. You could alternate weeks doing 2 MetCon/1 ME then 2 ME/1 MetCon workouts per week alternating the focus on your ME days between the slow lifts and the olympic lifts and using your choice of MetCon workouts on the remaining days. If you still had enough left in the tank on Saturdays you could add in a workout of your choice or take the opportunity to do some additional skill practice.

The schedule would look something like this:

Week #1

Monday - Group PT (hopefully, a bodyweight MetCon)
Tuesday - MetCon
Wednesday - ME
Thursday - Group PT
Friday - MetCon
Saturday - Rest / Skill Work
Sunday - Rest

Week #2

Monday - Group PT
Tuesday - ME
Wednesday - MetCon
Thursday - Group PT
Friday - ME
Saturday - Rest / Skill Work
Sunday - Rest

Repeat Cycle

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Old 11-25-2006, 02:53 PM   #5
Michael Lynn

Profile:
I looked through the crossfit main site, and I couldn't find my answer, so would you mind defining MetCon and ME for me? I'm new to CF and still don't know all the language.

I appreciate it,
-Mike
Old 11-25-2006, 03:52 PM   #6
Kris Freeman

Profile:
MetCon is Metabolic Conditioning, ME is Max Effort. Strength v.s. conditioning.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:11 PM   #7
Luis Munoz

Profile:
What Kris said.

MetCon (Metabolic Conditioning) WODs are workouts like Diane, Elizabeth, and Fran where you are trying to complete a given amount of work within the shortest period of time possible or (in workouts like Cindy) the greatest amount of work possible within a given period of time.

ME (Max Effort) workouts are your more traditional strength workouts where you are simply trying to lift the greatest amount of weight possible (think of WODs like Deadlift 5-5-5-5-5).

Take it easy.
Old 11-25-2006, 06:43 PM   #8
Michael Lynn

Profile:
Ah, now I understand. Thank you very much.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:36 AM   #9
Ryan Norman

Profile:
You could also add ME to your group PT days and do a MetCon workout on the other 3 days of the week. I have done that before because the group PT wasnt hard at all. I would do one or two (if I was feelling really good) ME lifts. For instance deadlift, squat, clean, snatch, overhead squat, etc...

Like others have said, the group PT could be made into a CF workout or just a CF style workout. If your supervisor suggested CF, then he ma be up for it. Good luck.
Old 11-30-2006, 08:02 AM   #10
Michael Lynn

Profile:
I usually swim after PT, so as you suggested, I'll add ME as well to the list.

I'd love to switch my wing over to CF workouts, problem is we're an ROTC wing, and we don't have weights readily available for the number of cadets we have.

-Mike