CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #1
Julian Gaylor

Profile:
Marketing Ideas and Campaigns.

Hey folks.

I've just become an affiliate after runing my own successful PT studio for many years.

I am finding that the types of marketing i do for PT and boot camps is not really pulling for crossfit. i know its a whole other world so I'm looking for advice on what you have rain to th past tht was successful?
Old 10-02-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Brian Strump

Profile:
Re: Marketing Ideas and Campaigns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian Gaylor View Post
Hey folks.

I've just become an affiliate after runing my own successful PT studio for many years.

I am finding that the types of marketing i do for PT and boot camps is not really pulling for crossfit. i know its a whole other world so I'm looking for advice on what you have rain to th past tht was successful?

It shouldn't be. Maybe there's more competition doing a better job marketing than you? Change it up some.

The same demographics of a personal trainer, or boot camp you will find in most CF affiliates.
Old 10-03-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Your clients are your best marketers. I would lean on them to bring others in and offer incentives for doing so. The box I currently work out at hasn't done any advertising and in ten months has 115 members in a city of 20k. They just focus on their members and aren't afraid to ask them for help!
Old 10-05-2012, 10:00 AM   #4
Richard Rubin

Profile:

I agree with Jim that your clients are your best marketing tool, but there are ways to enhance the word-of-mouth business. I haven't marketed for a box but I do market for my own business on a shoestring budget and I've seen enough boxes fail at marketing to know what they are doing wrong. Here are some things I would do if I opened a box tomorrow and wanted to get the most marketing bang for my buck.

1. Be Active on Forums/Discussion boards: Eventually you may want to market something on a board like this one, or maybe Reddit's Crossfit subreddit and users hate when someone comes out of the blue and tries to market something without actually ever contributing. Think about your Facebook friends who only post when they want to sell you Avon or Amway or whatever crap they are pushing. Those people are annoying. You may also meet someone in your area who is either looking to switch boxes or looking for his friend to join one.

2. Make Yourself a Yelp page: Yelp is becoming more of a go-to source to find out about restaurants, hotels, gyms, etc. before you try them. Encourage your members to give you positive reviews. Yelp has a filter that aims at preventing people from getting their family and friends to give 5 star reviews, but a good amount should still make it through. This will also help you appear in Google search results, which can be helpful if there are other boxes in your immediate area.

3. Add the surrounding areas somewhere on your web page: If possible add it to your homepage header. Think something like "Crossfit XYZ serving greater Texas including Houston, Dallas, Waco, Amarillo, etc." Obviously those aren't geographically ideal, but any town within driving distance you want on that header. This is because people who are looking for crossfits in their area will typically search "Crossfit Houston, Tx" and view the results. You want to come up in more of those searches.

4. Have an active Facebook Business Page: Take lots of pictures, you can post them in either monthly (September 2012) or quarterly albums (Summer at CF XYZ). I don't believe Facebook allows you to tag people in pictures as a business page, but you should encourage members to share their favorite photos. You know how people get when they are drinking the Kool Aid, they want everyone to see the pain they are willingly putting themselves through. Your job is to capture that pain on camera so that they can share it with their 100-1000 Facebook friends. Let's say the average user has 200 Facebook friends, if you have 20 members who regularly share pictures you are marketing to 4,000 people for 0 cost.

There is also an app that will automatically post your WODs from your site to your Facebook page. Encourage members to list their times on Facebook, not in the comments section of your site. This is because your members are already going to your site, putting it on Facebook allows more people to see it.

You can also make special posts when people PR. I wouldn't get obnoxious with it, but if an athlete makes a significant gain give them some love. If you have a picture to go with it even better, because they can share that. For example, "Here is Bob looking like a badass doing his first 400 lb deadlift!". My friend got my first, and currently only, muscle up on video. I can't tell you how many people I've shown that video, it's like a picture of my first born.

5. Have some kind of reward to encourage referrals: It doesn't have to be as drastic as a free month. It can be something like a special T-shirt/coffee mug/lava lamp that people only get if they bring in someone who joins. Depending on the frequency of the referrals you want to change this item quarterly/semi-annually/annually to encourage people to keep referring. I would suggest giving it to the member with a handwritten thank you note. You can get 50 thank you cards to have on hand so it's minimal effort and not that expensive. Yes Crossfitters want to get other people involved, but they also want to feel appreciated when doing it.

6. Running Routes: If you are on a main road, your running route should be along that road. That way people driving by can see your athletes busting their butts. You would think this goes without saying but my box at a previous location had us cut off a main road and down a side street for the majority of our route. Of course disregard this if that main road is a safety concern.

7. Activities!: Have at least 1 event per month to get members together. I don't just mean a social, but more like a 5k or triathlon, etc. Encourage members to sign up and wear their CF XYZ shirts. Races tend to attract (surprise!) local people who like to work out and challenge themselves. If you have 5+ people at a race all in your shirts, you will get people coming up to you to ask questions, find out rates, etc.

In the beginning I wouldn't waste money with ads in Pennysaver/Town Crier type publications, the people who read those are not your target demographic. I also wouldn't suggest doing a Groupon unless you are really desperate. The actual amount of repeat customers following a Groupon deal is tragically low.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM me if needed.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:39 PM   #5
Jim B Smith

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rubin View Post
There is also an app that will automatically post your WODs from your site to your Facebook page. Encourage members to list their times on Facebook, not in the comments section of your site. This is because your members are already going to your site, putting it on Facebook allows more people to see it.
Richard all great info for sure. I am curious if you recall the name of the app you are referring to?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
Richard Rubin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim B Smith View Post
Richard all great info for sure. I am curious if you recall the name of the app you are referring to?
I know if you have a wordpress site you can pretty easily do it. Instructions here: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/auto-...ess-30203.html (SFW)

I'm pretty sure this has become common for the major web hosting/blogging sites. So you might want to ask your host company.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #7
Joshua Hass

Profile:

Richard, I've personally implemented a handful of these and have seen positive results. All great advice!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Have a look at google 'pay per click' advertising, also called 'paid search' - these are the sponsored listings in Google, but you can control the amount you spend and what words you appear for.

have a look at your 'macro-' activity, you'll probably find there are certain weeks of the year that are better for business, your best bet is to dial up you activity over these periods. e.g. post-new years, and around june july are typically big ones for health and fitness.

find your local health stores, fitness stores and do deals with them.

(i'm usually against groupon) try offering free trial classes on Groupon (or discounted)

think about structuring your membership for crossfit specifically to be more flexible, eg. you could sell classes of 10 in a pack, to be used any time, but within a 3 month period. you can have self-training vs. group training, etc.

think about facebook ads - they work the same way google adwords, but only do this if you're willing to test, i've not personally seen my clients have good results with this. but it may be different for a gym business as opposed to a big FMCG.

Just to correct Richard Ruben -
3. Add the surrounding areas somewhere on your web page
:
this in of itself won't do anything, however this is part of something called SEO (Search Engine Optimization) in simple terms, what gets you to the top of google when someone searches for specific things. It is something you should do, but it can be very costly, if what you need is 'fast sales' over a short period of time just to balance your books, then go with Google Adwords. SEO is a longer term optimization of the website.

if you ave local newspapers, or timeout or some kind of a whats happening in my local area blog/website/magazine - its worth seeing if you can do an editorial piece for them.

you can use your product (i.e. crossfit classes) as a prize for charity fund raisers, or competitions etc.

All the above is a little generic, it'd be good to find out what you've previously done, what your budgets are, and more information about your local area.

(I'm a professional Strategic Marketing Director for an advertising agency)Feel free to give me a PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #9
Richard Rubin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenneth Cheung View Post

Just to correct Richard Ruben -
3. Add the surrounding areas somewhere on your web page
:
this in of itself won't do anything, however this is part of something called SEO (Search Engine Optimization) in simple terms, what gets you to the top of google when someone searches for specific things. It is something you should do, but it can be very costly, if what you need is 'fast sales' over a short period of time just to balance your books, then go with Google Adwords. SEO is a longer term optimization of the website.
Adding the surrounding areas will help, it will just take longer. I was recommending ideas for little or no cost. SEO can be pretty expensive and there are a lot of techniques you can use yourself. For example, most web publishing/hosting companies give you the ability to add/edit your meta tags to help appear in search results.

I've also heard good and bad things about Google Ad Words. I've seen people who swear by it and people who paid a lot but never saw any converted leads. It can get expensive quick.
Old 10-07-2012, 04:31 PM   #10
Kenneth Cheung

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Rubin View Post
Adding the surrounding areas will help, it will just take longer. I was recommending ideas for little or no cost. SEO can be pretty expensive and there are a lot of techniques you can use yourself. For example, most web publishing/hosting companies give you the ability to add/edit your meta tags to help appear in search results.

I've also heard good and bad things about Google Ad Words. I've seen people who swear by it and people who paid a lot but never saw any converted leads. It can get expensive quick.
re: SEO - sorry thats simply inaccurate, it can be expensive, but one can also do it on their own, i say this with 3 years profession experience doing it for companies. you CAN do it on your own, with time and so education on the matter, the first being to use 'all in one SEO' http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...-one-seo-pack/ (WFS); also have a look at Search engine land for how to do it (http://searchengineland.com/) WFS. as very over simplified explanation what you want to do is make sure the way your site is structured and the copy (text) on the website are optimised to how Google (thinks people) search for information on the web. so for example if you want to rank for 'crossfit shanghai' - you want to ensure that the way the site is built (eg the way the links show, meta data, and even where the site is hosted) and the copy (text) are optimized for 'crossfit shanghai' - most inexperienced people will use something called 'keyword stuffing' to do this i.e. putting in 'crossfit shanghai' as frequently as they can, for low competition terms this will be sufficient, but for high competition keywords such as crossfit (as opposed to crossfit shanghai) you'll struggle to rank.

rather than taking mine or Richards advice however, you should research it and see if it will bring you the returns you want, when its all said and done, its your business, and you'll know better what to focus your efforts on.

re: Google Ad Words - this is equally as complex i've run the PPC (google ad words campaign) with a team of 11 for All Saints and Western Union covering 12 countries. so it DOES work, the question is do you know HOW to make it work. using Ad Words is like being a trader, you're buying 'traffic' based on placing a bid on Keywords (trigger words people search for). to win at this game, you need to constantly optimise your list of keywords, and get more and more specific about what keywords are bringing you leads or money and what keywords are actually inefficient. to put into simply context if i was Ford the car brand and i bid on 'ford' not everyone googling 'ford' is looking to BUY my car, some will be looking for Ford as in fording a river, some may only be looking to browse or admire Ford Cars. but if I (as Ford) bid on 'Buy Ford Cars' then the %age of people who are looking to buy my Ford cars is going to be far higher... to win at ad words you have to be specific and look at numbers.
for this the best thing you can do is take the google adwords exam - http://www.google.com/intl/en/adwords/professionals/ (WFS) you have to pay to do the exam, but you can take a study version of the exam, which should be sufficient. you will also need to know how to read google analytics http://www.google.com/analytics/ (WFS) and use keyword tool https://adwords.google.com/o/Targeti...=KEYWORD_IDEAS (WFS)

using ad words, analytics and keyword tool - you'll stand a good chance of making Ad words (PPC) work for you.