CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 08-03-2009, 07:17 PM   #51
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:
Re: Back Squat Help

I'm not competitive, don't have a coach and they don't really hurt my shoulders and elbows although it is hard to get it into that position. This can be corrected with working on flexibility of course right?
I like Rips argument that they work on the posterior chain because I feel my posterior chain needs a lot of work.
Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #52
Kevin Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason R O'Dell View Post
I'm not competitive, don't have a coach and they don't really hurt my shoulders and elbows although it is hard to get it into that position. This can be corrected with working on flexibility of course right?
I like Rips argument that they work on the posterior chain because I feel my posterior chain needs a lot of work.
That's what I gather from reading up on the subject. Rip makes more arguments than just that, and even Greg Everett has said they are better for just about everyone other than weightlifters. See the Rip thread I linked. Maybe you should read up on the subject too, then you could make an informed decision for yourself.
Old 08-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #53
Jason R O'Dell

Profile:

Well I read the stuff from Rip in that thread you posted and he makes a convincing argument. Can't do anything until my groin and hip heals though.
Old 08-04-2009, 04:25 PM   #54
Graeme Howland

Profile:

If you are having problems with lumbar rounding at the bottom, think of hip drive. Focus on feeling the stretch in your hamstrings/glutes as you descend. At the bottom, they should be tight and then help you explode upwards. If you don't feel it, you are either lumbar rounding or sliding your knees forward and then using your quads to stand up (which is not the purpose of the low bar squat). Stick your *** out and think about moving hips back to stretch the hamstrings on the way down.

The trainer you don't like might just be confused, you want a more vertical torso in the high bar squat/OHS/Air squat, you want a totally vertical torso in a front squat. You cannot possibly have an upright torso in a loaded low bar back squat unless your arms are strong enough to keep the bar in place .