CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-30-2011, 06:05 AM   #1
Steve Bray

Profile:
Snatch brush

where do you come into contact when doing the snatch? on your thighs or hip crease?
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-30-2011, 06:11 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Snatch brush

Neither, it's a physics thing. If the bar is coming up with power, then all that power is absorbed if it comes into contact with something.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:20 AM   #3
Brad Gerbrandt

Profile:

Ideally it will contact you body near the hip crease indicating full hip extension was reached. If you contact your mid thigh with the bar you probably didn't open your hips all the way. Freeze any video of an elite lifter after the second pull and you will see a vertical, if not slightly leaned back body position with the bar in their hip crease.
Old 09-30-2011, 06:31 AM   #4
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Gerbrandt View Post
Ideally it will contact you body near the hip crease indicating full hip extension was reached. If you contact your mid thigh with the bar you probably didn't open your hips all the way. Freeze any video of an elite lifter after the second pull and you will see a vertical, if not slightly leaned back body position with the bar in their hip crease.
this is what i thought. when i watch any oly lifting theyre hitting at their hip crease. but my oly coach is teaching me to brush it at mid thigh... i find if i hit it at mid thigh it goes forward rather than up
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 09-30-2011, 06:33 AM   #5
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Different coaches have different styles. I have one that says hip crease and another that says no contact, the latter works better for me. (Though my shin bruises tell a different story).

Thigh is definitely wrong imo.

Edit - if you freeze http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9sPllx4G8M (wfs) at 0:49 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVmcLC0bB8 at 0:22 (wfs) I don't believe either made contact.

Last edited by Dave Traeger : 09-30-2011 at 06:40 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 09:36 AM   #6
Tony Blanksteen

Profile:

The bar should start brushing somewhere around the "high mid-thigh" although that is not the extension point. Keeping the bar close is tantamount to a good lift, and at the final stage of the pull a lifter should be vertical (or for some, slightly back) before the final drive using the quads and hamstrings. But to get to that position, the bar will start brushing at mid thigh. You can tell because many Olympic lifter's pants will have signs of wear starting at mid thigh.

check the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJA03fNdLY (wfs)
at about :08 sec you can see the torso is almost fully erect and and the bar is definitely touching.

Now the deceiving thing is that all Chigishev does here is stand up, then jump down, he does not try to "hip-pop." So bar brushing is almost considered incidental to correct bar-path and a properly set back. Take it from my experience, don't try fix where the bar brushes, rather, learn to set you back and stand up with the weight. The bar will brush, but if you worry about where it does, you'll pop it away from you and get bad bruises in a place that is not fun to have it.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
where do you come into contact when doing the snatch?
From mid-shin all the way up to the crease of the hips with maybe a quarter-to-half inch of clearance as the bar passes the knees.
Old 09-30-2011, 10:48 AM   #8
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:

Quote:
Thigh is definitely wrong imo.

Edit - if you freeze http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9sPllx4G8M (wfs) at 0:49 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyVmcLC0bB8 at 0:22 (wfs) I don't believe either made contact. .
If you watch the second video closely you will see that the bar digs into his shorts and pulls them up. The bar is making contact with the thighs, unquestionably so.
Old 09-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
Brendan McNamar

Profile:

I'm not sure of your level so this may or may not apply.

Working with new people I have them untuck their t-shirts and tell them to brush the bottom of the t-shirt, as long as it is not too big. This seems to help them understand getting into "pockets" as Coach B teaches it. Very close but not crashing in so hard that A) the bar slows down or B) the bar pops out away from the body.
Old 09-30-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Blanksteen View Post
The bar should start brushing somewhere around the "high mid-thigh" although that is not the extension point. Keeping the bar close is tantamount to a good lift, and at the final stage of the pull a lifter should be vertical (or for some, slightly back) before the final drive using the quads and hamstrings. But to get to that position, the bar will start brushing at mid thigh. You can tell because many Olympic lifter's pants will have signs of wear starting at mid thigh.

check the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glJA03fNdLY (wfs)
at about :08 sec you can see the torso is almost fully erect and and the bar is definitely touching.

Now the deceiving thing is that all Chigishev does here is stand up, then jump down, he does not try to "hip-pop." So bar brushing is almost considered incidental to correct bar-path and a properly set back. Take it from my experience, don't try fix where the bar brushes, rather, learn to set you back and stand up with the weight. The bar will brush, but if you worry about where it does, you'll pop it away from you and get bad bruises in a place that is not fun to have it.
thanks mate. i think im trying to focus on smashing it into my thighs rather than just brushing it over my thighs. maybe his teaching methods are to get us used to contact with the bar first. im not sure ill stick to his methods for now and mess around with other ways first