CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 03-08-2012, 07:31 AM   #291
Steve Bray

Profile:
Re: 2012 Open, Regional and Games thread

ive done literally thousands of box jumps and NEVER pulled up sore in the achilies. if you are conditioned enough to do high rep box jumps and bounce then bounce, if not then dont. i think it is an AWESOME workout.

i did it this morning (first time) i got 7 rounds and 14 box jumps, it is surprisingly harder than expected. i was thinking easy 10 rounds. there is something about the movements that made me feel really sick at the end (pukie) but i wasnt in the best shape before doing the workout i felt a bit crook, so im hitting this again on sunday and am going to aim for 8-9 rounds. i also did all the T2B unbroken but the PP was a little too heavy for me to go unbroken.

all in all a great WOD. stop whinging about achillies problems. im sure people and coaches know what they are or there athletes are capable of
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 03-08-2012, 07:36 AM   #292
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bray View Post
ive done literally thousands of box jumps and NEVER pulled up sore in the achilies. if you are conditioned enough to do high rep box jumps and bounce then bounce, if not then dont. i think it is an AWESOME workout.

i did it this morning (first time) i got 7 rounds and 14 box jumps, it is surprisingly harder than expected. i was thinking easy 10 rounds. there is something about the movements that made me feel really sick at the end (pukie) but i wasnt in the best shape before doing the workout i felt a bit crook, so im hitting this again on sunday and am going to aim for 8-9 rounds. i also did all the T2B unbroken but the PP was a little too heavy for me to go unbroken.

all in all a great WOD. stop whinging about achillies problems. im sure people and coaches know what they are or there athletes are capable of
That's like saying I've been driving for 10+ years and have never gotten in an accident, therefore I never will.

The point that Blair made earlier is that an Achilles-type injury isn't something you build up to, or something you can sense coming on like you could with accumulated knee tendonitis or tennis elbow or something like that. It just snaps suddenly, then you're screwed for 9-12 months.
Old 03-08-2012, 07:50 AM   #293
David Sigmon

Profile:

We had an "active recovery day" yesterday for our WOD which was a run 1km then 50 air squats, run 1 km then 40 air squats, run 1km then 30 air squats, run 1km then 20 air squats, run 1km then 10 air squats + 10 ovhd squats. So basically a 5k with 160 air squats.

After we had our competition team meeting to go over the new WOD and we ran through one round of it. I finished the first round in around 1.15 seconds so I was happy with that but when I got home my left achilies was sore. I'm going to do the WOD but that kind of bothered me some. I'm assuming it was the box jumps and not the running yet I'm not big on running so maybe there was a relationship between running and box jumps...no idea but I better not rupture the mofo during this WOD.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:00 AM   #294
Daniel Wheeler

Profile:

I'm going to say it was the 160 squats and the 5k and not the 15 box jumps. If it hurts, be smart.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #295
Danielle Chollet

Profile:

Be smart with your footwear. I find my Nanos to have a very stiff heel with a slightly inward tilt that pushes on my Achilles when jumping. In the past I've had other sneakers that had a heel like this, it's annoying. There's no need to wear the Nanos on this WOD for stability purposes, so I'll go with a different pair of shoes that day.
Old 03-08-2012, 08:17 AM   #296
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Wheeler View Post
I'm going to say it was the 160 squats and the 5k and not the 15 box jumps. If it hurts, be smart.
I flippin' hope so. I've just never had any issues with it being sore before yet that's the longest distance I've ran in quite some time. Haha and yea, I guess 15 box jumps wouldn't be the culprit lol. Thanks for putting that one in perspective
Old 03-08-2012, 10:02 AM   #297
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Haven't read through the latest posts, so if the following has already been posted, I apologize. Just something to consider. (ws, maybe not family safe for some f bombs)

http://beastmodaldomains.com/2011/12...rep-box-jumps/
Old 03-08-2012, 10:29 AM   #298
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
Very heavy. It only impacted about a dozen people though. I would like something heavy from the start, like DL at 315 or BS at 275. The snatch WOD wasnt really a great equalizer for heavy people like the burpee wod was for light people. Very technique dependent and you had to go through lighter weights before getting to the heavy stuff.
Very true.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #299
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Dumb question, but a friend of mine has been doing scaled versions of the games wods with me. He isn't able to hang from a bar for more than 10 seconds or so. What sort of sub could he use for the toes to bar?
Old 03-08-2012, 11:17 AM   #300
David Sigmon

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Wheeler View Post
Dumb question, but a friend of mine has been doing scaled versions of the games wods with me. He isn't able to hang from a bar for more than 10 seconds or so. What sort of sub could he use for the toes to bar?
Ab mat sit-ups or weighted sky sit-ups would be my first thought.