CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 06-10-2014, 07:42 PM   #1
David L Jones

Profile:
Wildcards?

Did I miss something or have no wildcards been extended? Has there been any discussions of wildcards that I missed?

Thanks
Old 06-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #2
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:
Re: Wildcards?

Yeah, you missed Castro's announcement that there will be no wild cards. Happened during one of the Regionals. Old news now.

- Mark
Old 06-11-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Andy Luten

Profile:

I think that came down from Glassman, btw.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:50 AM   #4
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Luten View Post
I think that came down from Glassman, btw.
The announcement itself was from Castro. Gotta figure that Castro ran it through Coach first though.

- Mark
Old 06-11-2014, 09:18 AM   #5
Victor J McQuaide

Profile:

Might miff some fans.. no Briggs, Lindsey, G Fisher.. Graham H...

Don't think that its a good move on the part of Castro and HQ.

The Regionals seem like they were a get Chris S back to the games.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:46 AM   #6
Michael Cook

Profile:

What I thought was interesting was that when Castro said there would be no wildcards, he said "The right people are going to the Games." But, in a separate interview, when discussing Crossfit's new Team Series, he was asked who he would pick if he were to have a Super Team, and he had Sam Briggs as one of his picks.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Mark E. Wallace

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Cook View Post
What I thought was interesting was that when Castro said there would be no wildcards, he said "The right people are going to the Games." But, in a separate interview, when discussing Crossfit's new Team Series, he was asked who he would pick if he were to have a Super Team, and he had Sam Briggs as one of his picks.
Dunno that that's all that unusual.

Take for example the 1992 U.S. Men's Olympic Basketball "Dream Team."

Roster:
  • Christian Laettner -- Never won an NBA championship, and in 1992 didn't yet have any NBA experience. Did win in college with Duke, of course.
  • David Robinson - As of 1992 had not yet won an NBA championship. Didn't win an NCAA championship either.
  • Patrick Ewing - Never won an NBA championship. Did win in college.
  • Larry Bird - Had 3 NBA championships by this time but was on his last legs and would retire from the NBA after the Olympics.
  • Scottie Pippen - 3 NBA rings by 1992, and would win 3 more later. No NCAA championships.
  • Michael Jordan - 3 NBA rings by 1992, and would win 3 more later. NCAA champ at North Carolina. Perhaps the greatest NBA player ever.
  • Clyde Drexler - As of 1992 had not yet won an NBA championship. Didn't win an NCAA championship either.
  • Karl Malone - Never won an NBA championship. Didn't win an NCAA championship either.
  • John Stockton - Never won an NBA championship. Didn't win an NCAA championship either.
  • Chris Mullin - Never won an NBA championship. Didn't win an NCAA championship either.
  • Charles Barkley - Never won an NBA championship. Didn't win an NCAA championship either.
  • Magic Johnson - 5-time NBA champ by 1992 and an NCAA champion.
Moral of the story is that, for a Dream/Super Team concept like that, you put together the team that you think you would win with, often ignoring whether or not the individuals have won at the highest level or even won recently. Of course, as far as Crossfit is concerned, Briggs *has* won at The Games.

- Mark
Old 06-11-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
David L Jones

Profile:

Thanks guys. I figured I missed something. I wonder why they said there would be wildcards and decided against it considering that they just missed out on having Briggs and Valenzula in the games. I would think they would want as many recognizable names as possible to bolster as much interest as they could get.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Briggs, Valenzula and others signing up with the NFPL?

Oh well, thanks again guys.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #9
Eric Montgomery

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David L Jones View Post
Thanks guys. I figured I missed something. I wonder why they said there would be wildcards and decided against it considering that they just missed out on having Briggs and Valenzula in the games. I would think they would want as many recognizable names as possible to bolster as much interest as they could get.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Briggs, Valenzula and others signing up with the NFPL?

Oh well, thanks again guys.
Should Adam Silver have given the Lakers and Knicks playoff berths this year? After all, they're the NBA's two largest markets--it would have been great for TV ratings and advertising revenue.

I'm not saying wild cards for the Games would be 100% a bad idea, but if you're going to do it then it has to be something that's understood in advance.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
Jason A Smith

Profile:

Mark,

Jordan and Pippen had 2 title as of 1992, they 3-peated in 1993.

As far as Crossfit Games Wildcards, I am a little shocked that a couple have not been announced. Guess they are trying to legitimize it a bit more this season.