CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 12-27-2005, 06:27 PM   #1
Kalen Meine

Profile:
By way of Alwyn Cosgrove over at T-Nation, whose ideas are very much in line with our zero-crap camp- don't supplement if you don't floss. It has demonstrable health benefits beyond just your mouth, and if you aren't up to that level of taking care of yourself, the wonderpill isn't gonna be worth it.

Gonna go glue that to the front of a GNC. And then run. And then turn around and drop the clerk that's chasing me just to demonstrate my well-flossed ***-kicking skills.
Old 12-27-2005, 06:54 PM   #2
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
My sole supplement use involves opening up a can of Crossfit WOD.

Old 12-27-2005, 10:14 PM   #3
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Not that I can't think for myself, although the more I learn from CrossFit the more I realize I should just do what they recommend and worry about the why afterwards. Are fish oil and creatine at least accepted, if not endorsed by Crossfit. Or are you speaking of more exotic things?
Old 12-28-2005, 01:19 AM   #4
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Meh, fish oil borders on food, and is heartily and emphatically endorsed, and some people tinker with creatine from time to time- with varying degrees of success and water retention. It clearly does something, but not dramatically more at the doses and loading periods that are often specified, and not as much as the people selling it to you would lead you to believe ;-)

Berardi put things in perspective in one of his excellent articles when he said sups can give you, maybe, a 3% improvement on average. The advantage exists, but's it's irrelevant if the "big rocks" aren't in the jar yet, those being lifting hard, fast. heavy and often with lots of muscles and joints, sprinting like a demon, climbing those ropes...you know the drill. In fact, just about everything goes on the list before in terms of improving performance based simply on good choices- pounding the salmon, blueberries and spinach, having a bedtime, giving yourself a massage, again...you know the drill.

If you're really walking the walk, and have a reason to need more, sure, sups aren't bad- though there's a definite hierarchy from "sure, makes sense" to "what in the hell is that?" I'd wager it goes like fish oil- your flintstones vitamins (ZMA is sitting in here somewhere)-creatine-glucosamine and then descends promptly into the Muscle & Fiction Chalky Cocktail of the Month.

I guess it comes down to "If any of your carbs came from anything that wasn't a colorful fruit or veggie, your fat came from anything other than a nut, olive, or avocado, and you haven't had meat today or fish this week, get out of here, go lift, and go floss."
Old 12-28-2005, 07:33 AM   #5
Brad Hirakawa

Profile:
amen
Old 12-28-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
Nick Cummings

Profile:

Ok, the second expanded post is something I can certainly agree with completely. =)
Old 12-28-2005, 10:47 AM   #7
Robert Wolf

Profile:
That dental hygene/inflamation thing is suuuper interesting. I saw a presentation at the University of Washington from one of the professors in the Pathobiology department almost 6 years ago. Her contention was:
Dental care, paleo diet and some exercise would get you out of a whole slew of diseases. I wanted to marry that woman. On the spot.
Robb
Old 12-28-2005, 12:36 PM   #8
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
According to Dan John:

Floss good.

Q tips (for cleaning ears) bad.

now go lift.
Old 12-28-2005, 03:50 PM   #9
Jason Simpkins

Profile:

Kalen,

You listed one of your good choices as "pounding the salmon"... mind if I get it's number when you're finished with it?
Old 12-28-2005, 11:31 PM   #10
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Naw, the fish and I are goin' steady. And on that note...ewww.....the images, the images. I just ate, man, that's just not nice ;-)