CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Health and Medical Issues
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Health and Medical Issues For other than injuries

Old 03-20-2012, 05:08 AM   #1
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Preparing for surgery

Okay, so long story short, I know I will be having surgery soon to get THIS fixed. (Link has some "adult" medical images - proceed w/ caution - it's a wikipedia site) I know that once I get this surgery I will be pretty much bed-ridden for at least a week, and I'm almost certain lifting heavy will be out of the picture for approximately a month. I won't be getting this surgery for at least a week, maybe longer, depending on how soon the surgeon will be available.

I guess my question is this, what can I do now, before the surgery to best prepare myself, and then after, some of the best ideas I can do? I'm mostly writing because I KNOW I'm going to go a little stir crazy wanting to get work done, but won't be allowed to.
Old 03-21-2012, 06:29 AM   #2
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:
Re: Preparing for surgery

Now a second question. Up until about 3 hours ago, there was no associated pain with my hernia. I knew it was there and could feel it, but everything else was normal. Now I've got immense pain emanating from that area. My appointment with the surgeon to schedule surgery is tomorrow, but I've got two whole days of work until then, any quick fixes? Will any pain relievers or anything else work?
Old 03-21-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Richard Aldrich

Profile:

You should duct tape over your underwear in order to support yourself the way a hernia belt is meant to. I bought one, they don't do anything. However using duct tape would be better.

Take it easy and get your surgery. I have hernia, i'm putting it off cause i'm scared. Everyone i talk to is better in 4-8 weeks. Walking around and driving after 72 hours.

Consider yourself warned. Pain is a warning. You have one option and the time is now. Repair it. Feel free to PM me during your recovery i'll be going though it in the next 4 weeks. I was waiting on health coverage clearance and i got notification I'm clear to get it done.

I want to strengthen my abs before i get it done.
Old 03-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Richard Aldrich

Profile:

Post op get in a gym pool. make sure your incisions are clean and mended.

First walk in the pool.
Then do squats.
Then lung in the pool.
After that jump off the pool floor.
Then grab a board and flutter kick down the lanes.

Once you can walk, run, squat and jump in the pool then begin going down the length and back. Feel free to do aqua fit. Freestyle stroke with just your upper body and your shoulders, traps, neck, back and core will tighten up so you don't get the depression that comes with all your muscle fibers going limp and hanging off your body.

Graduate from the pool to the silver sneakers group classes. Work with the elderly since you will be on their level. Their pace will be your pace so you can be apart of a group.

This is all the stuff i'm doing pre op. So its habit post op.

Go from silver sneakers to the womans classes. Body sculpt. Body fit, body combat etc. The movements can be done with their 3# weights. Then you work to 5,10, and 15 since you use a variety. Start with 3.

I"m not in hernia pain and i can push myself in these classes and be feeling ach for 48 hours.

This is all after the first 72 hours to the end of month 1.

Since i was told that it could be a month it could be 8 weeks before you feel good plan for 60 days of group classes. I found myself going from the pool, to the classes to now doing a class with 5,10 and 15 pound dumbbells then going down stairs after the hour of endurance and doing 3-5 sets of ten to get a stronger muscle stress using 135 on the bench or a variety of dumbbells before going back into the lighter stuff working out in the pool.
I get sore as hell cause the volume is real high.

1 hours low intensity endurance, 45 mins of weights then 60- 90 mins in the pool. Its all light stuff but you'll respect your self.

I say get a membership and start to enjoy the pool for then next 21 days regardless of when you get your operation.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

Thanks for all the advice. I had considered swimming at a pool, but hadn't considered the bodyweight type classes. My gf has a few DVD's laying around that might be pretty good for that. The more I think about this, the less I look forward to it. Will know more tomorrow. I know that no matter what, I'm going to finish the open!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #6
Richard Aldrich

Profile:

whats it mean to " finish the open." i didn't understand. I encourage you to join a gym that has classes and a pool. When you have a leader instructing you and class mates in their own struggle its easier to commit to your own agenda.

Its too easy to not work hard when its you and a dvd. Its also to easy to dismiss the work out. Paying for a gym sets the foundation for the commitment. Traveling to the gym gets your mind and body ready for effort. Just push play may be great for p90x n what not but for most people gym work out weighs living room results.

The pool. The pool is a big insurance. You eliminate impact and gravity. You can't get a safer work environment then being consumed by water.

I can't encourage you more.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
Nicholas Wheeler

Profile:

So a follow-up if anyone is interested.

For starters, the surgery didn't go NEARLY as well as I had hoped. Come to find out when they brought me out of anathesia, I attacked my doctors, and they had to put me back under, this led to me not being able to wake up/eat for most of the first day. This was after my surgery was delayed almost 6 hours and I was starving going into it (surgery was delayed due to Jet crashing in Virginia Beach into a neighborhood).

Anyway, after I finally came to, I was begging to go home, it was miserably hot in the hospital, but they wouldn't let me leave until the next day.

I stayed on the pain medications every four hours for at least a week as it stayed extremely painful long after it should have, come to find out that Percocet makes me hyper, so I would be up at 2am measuring my blinds

A few medical complications that I'm sure no one wants to hear about involving my privates, so I won't go into detail unless asked, but it was EXTREMELY frightening, and I found out if you dig hard enough, you can find your surgeons cell phone number and reach him on Easter Sunday.

I was back at work later than I had expected, and I didn't do anything resembling a workout until about 3 weeks post surgery. Tomorrow will be 4 weeks to the day and I'm feeling much better, can do *MOST* bodyweight movements (toes to bar still hurt a bit too much) and I can squeeze my abs with no pain, but stretching them still hurts quite a bit. I can lift at about 50% of what I used to, I can't really test that as I'm currently out to sea and access to any real gym gear is ...a challenge... About 4 days ago doing double unders was pretty painful, but I was able to bear through it, did them again today with next to no pain, even strung together 22 on a rocking ship!!! I'm sure that's nothing for most people, but I'm strangely discovering that my problem with doubles is swinging *too* fast (is that possible). There is still some light lingering pain post workout, but nothing too severe. I was even able to brunt through situps in todays wod.

TL;DR - if you are having hernia surgery - it will be at least 4 weeks until you can start doing decent work again. At least in my unfortunate case. And it sucks... a lot...
Old 05-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #8
Richard Aldrich

Profile:

I need to know about your complicaitons, So if you'll share i'm ready to read.
I'm going to go to the dr to see if they can tell me what kind of damage i have. Stage 1 being hardly a worry stage 5 being get surgery now. Something quantifiable.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Hollie Jacobs

Profile:

But you have fully healed now?
Old 05-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #10
Christopher Spiegel

Profile:

Hey Nick,

Hope everything is going well after your surgery!

I had open surgery on a Direct Inguinal Hernia a little over 5 weeks ago and have just started to go back to the gym as well. First couple weeks were miserable, but I'm back in action, all be it at way less than 100%.

Noticed you were thinking about swimming... I found it to be a great workout. Works the whole body, get a bit of cardio, and helps get some muscles that are a little tough for me hit without doing heavy lifting, cleans, etc. Only thing is, it's pretty boring. They need to come up with an underwater iPod.

If you are looking for some comparisons for your recovery, I have a workout log thread specifically about getting back to The Box after hernia surgery. It's in the forum section. I'll be doing mostly bodyweight WOD, both as pxed and customized for the first month. I found some interesting ones in a thread from the Navy Seals and some other CrossFit affiliates.

Let me know how things are going man! Good luck!

Chris