CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Competitions
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Competitions Competitions, contests & challenges

Old 01-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
Gary Fisher

Profile:
Preparing for the opens

Just wondering what everybody's strategy is going in towards the open. Doing more technique work? Tailoring off the heavy loads to get ready for them? Just curious, this is my first time competing in the opens so hoping for the best!
Old 01-24-2012, 05:00 AM   #2
Tricia Magrini

Profile:
Re: Preparing for the opens

I am definitely working a strength bias as that is where I found to be limited last year. Nailing down some efficiencies in movement, particularly butterfly pull ups, double unders and thrusters. I feel like my met con is as good as it will get in the short term. (I could always be better) but light and fast is easier for me than moving heavy loads, so that is where my focus is right now. I will probably not change my training too much once the Opens start. Perhaps working some of the wod skills/weights on Weds once released then taking off Th/Fr if we do the wods on Saturdays which is what we did last year.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Gary Fisher

Profile:

Strength is rarely an issue, so I'm working mostly technique oly lifts, muscle ups and double unders and a few others, and bumping up the metcons to get my conditioning better. Everybody trains a little different and needs to work on different things, so it'll be interesting to see what works for people. Best of luck to you!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #4
Cam Birtwell

Profile:

Gary Fisher!! Awesome bikes man.

It all comes down to what you feel like you need to improve without freaking out and trying to improve it in the last few (3) weeks!

I've often said that "Crossfit isn't just about being "fit" - it's about being able to demonstrate your fitness through skill"...

You don't want to be that person who loses rounds and reps due to lacking proficiency in certain skills so that should be a priority on everyone's lists. For example, all intermediate-advanced crossfitters should be able to do 5 x 30+ double unders unbroken... if that isn't the case, reps, rounds, and time will be lost.

My plan is to work skills, metcon 2x per week, oly strength 2x/wk, rest 2 days and go into the Open rested!

Cam
Old 01-31-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
Gary Fisher

Profile:

Thanks man, he's my uncle! (at least some people believe that, haha)

Yeah I've been just chipping away at my weaknesses and getting there without "freaking" out. I'm just going into the opens with a positive outlook and let the chips fall where they may.

I go DUs under control for the most part, MUs have been conquered, now I just need to get a little more flexible and work on OHS and I should be fairly well rounded.