CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-07-2011, 06:33 PM   #1
Camille Lore

Profile:  
Preparing for first judo comp

So it's been awhile. I've been working out, random things here and there- mostly martial arts, a density program, some running and took a fw months off heavy lifting when I got freaked out by Kelly's back problem. When you see someone very healthy and not able to do anything and in excruciating pain, it makes you think. It was rough for both of us to go through this, esp. when she didn't injure herself.

Ok, so onto more detail of the workouts.
I'm getting ready for my first judo competition which will be in December. It's a tournament good for novices, so I'm using it to enter into competing and to give me more motivation to work out.

Seems I've had some kind of virus for the latter half of the week, so I'm taking it easy today.

Back to 5-3-1 for strength.

DLs
165, 165, 175x5.

Wish I hadn't stopped lifting for so long, but I was freaked out.

Deadhang pullups-
(done from being cold)
3,4,5 (came off bar between 4 and 5)

I've been doing quite a bit of BJJ lately, with judo twice a week and aikido once a week. Been primarily leaning on the BJJ warmups for my workouts, but realize I need to get ready for 5 minute rounds of intensity. I've done quite a bit of mountain biking as well, some road riding and paddleboarding. Oh yeah-and I started low-flying trapeze class.
Old 08-07-2011, 07:01 PM   #2
Kelly Moore

Profile:
Re: Preparing for first judo comp

YAY! Camille is back!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Did a short workout before judo class last night:
4 rounds of:
10 jump squats (did this once, then changed to 5 long jumps, landing softly on wood floor)
10 ball slams with 4kg ball. Last 2-3 rounds tried to throw a bit laterally.
10 bench step ups (a little less than waist high. One set with each leg counted as one.)
10 body rows. Had the handles set pretty high up for this as I petered out quickly.

Then had 1 hr judo class, too many throws and no randori.

I've been working with a Powerlung also. Measured by lung volume, which is 1300-1500ml. That's about 50% of what it should be for someone my age and height.

I've also stopped tracking my food. It doesn't seem to matter how much I eat- I don't lose weight. Stuck at 145 for the longest time now and resigned to that fact. Am trying to eat more because I know I feel better when I do. I just seem to default to about 1500 cals/day.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
Dustin Standel

Profile:

How long have you been doing judo? Its been a several years since I've done judo - as a refresher whats a randori?
My Workout Log Box Jump-36"; Deadlift-335; Clean and Jerk-150; Split Jerk-155; Weighted Pullup-20; Squat-245; Press-140; Bench-210; 3RM Thruster-145; DT 22:43 (105#)
Old 08-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #5
Nik Nichols

Profile:

WOOOO HOOO Camille as I live and breath. Glad to se you back on the boards. I expect you will walk on all the novices come Dec!
Old 08-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #6
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

I heard on NPR this morn that a 98y/o lady in Cali received her 10th degree black belt in judo. If I recall correctly, she's the first woman to hold that rank.

She currently teaches 3x / week.

So awesome.
Old 08-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #7
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Hi Dustin- I've been doing Judo about a year. Prior to that, I did japanese jujutsu (where judo came from) and aikido for several years.
Randori is basically sparring. I spar with a black belt, and she takes it pretty easy on me, to allow me to learn. Otherwise it would be constant practice in falling and not throwing!

Hi Nik- Good to be back I thoroughly intend to get seriously schooled in December. But as I've seen in brasilian jiu-jitsu, you learn a lot from sparring- what works, what doesn't!

Vickie- the woman you spoke of is one of the original students of judo's founder. Pretty awesome that she still teaches!

Went to BJJ yesterday morning- it's about an hour and a half. Did two sparring sessions that were 5 minutes each. That's a workout! One session was with Kelly, who tapped me out once or twice. I forget. I do remember that she kept squishing my ribs and I couldn't get a breath in!!!! Very uncomfortable.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:32 PM   #8
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Spent the weekend at a women's/girl's judo camp. Did lots of sweating from repeated warmups and did about a million pushups. Got scored on in a match by a 13 year old girl. She obviously has more experience in sparring than I! She was taller, so that counts, right?

Did another 2 mile run maybe last Thursday..
Went to judo class Monday night. Did a little randori at the end of class, which went so-so.

The last low-flying trapeze class was tonight

Been feeling pretty tired lately, and not sure why. I think I'm staying up too late at night and then trying to wake up to get to work. Not motivated to get up early and ride my bike, which isn't great.

Bench pressing tonight, and maybe a little workout. Looks like judo rounds will be 3-5 minutes for me. I may compete in September, but I will probably be woefully unprepared technique wise.
Old 08-17-2011, 07:19 PM   #9
Camille Lore

Profile:  

Bench press-
85x5
90x5
95x5

Then tabata judo fit ins with Kelly- 20 seconds on of pull right, pull right, pull right, fit in for throw. 10 secs of panting!

Oh, and I will soon be testing for my blue belt in Brasilian Jiu-Jitsu, my green belt in Judo, my brown belt in Japanese Jujutsu and my second degree brown in aikido.
Lots of cramming to do!
Old 08-17-2011, 10:01 PM   #10
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:

Good luck with your blue belt test! I took mine at the end of June and it was tough (lots and lots of warm-ups and I was on cold meds) but very, very rewarding to reach that milestone.