CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-17-2006, 05:31 PM   #1
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
I don't know if anybody has ever tried this before, but I have never seen it mentioned so I thought I would throw it out. I was at the park with my daughters, and we were swinging and so I thought maybe I could use the swing to work on my handstand. I layed on the swing with the seat across my pelvis where I could balance in the superman position, then I put my hands on the ground and started swinging back and forth until I was able to get high enough to get my arms under me and support myself. I would then walk my hands back until I felt the pressure under my fingers instead of my palms, and then until I could feel my pelvis coming away from the swing. I would go as I could for as long as I can. It was very exciting learning to be upside down.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:36 PM   #2
Jason Scully

Profile:
Jerimiah,

That sounds like a pretty interesting way method. However it kind of takes away the training of getting up into a handstand and finding your balance points.

I personally think the best way to train getting into handstands is to do the basic method of placing your hands on the ground on front of you with you body close to a wall or support of some sort and then gradually kicking your body up higher and higher each time while feeling how your body is able to stabilize yourself. The wall is there to give you support and as a spotter.

Also one of the key points to handstands that not many people are aware of is when your body is upside you need to press your arms into the ground and even grip the ground with your hands. This is a technique that can't really be seen with the naked eye.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
In a way this takes off the load while in a handstand. Good for newbies I say that don't have the base strength to do a handstand. Just an alternative to the next drill I will mention. It does help that you are completely vertical. So you would get the sensation training of being upside down and all the dizziness.
Probably another good drill too is to just start in a push up position with your heels against the wall. Walk your toes up the wall and your hands in. If you can't do this, you don't have the base strength to hold a handstand anyway.
Eventually you can play it when you are basically vertical to the wall. Pushing off your toes-free balancing, doing shoulder and body slappers, etc.

I used to try to spot kids when trying to have them learn how to walk in a handstand. It never seemed to help them much vs them learning how to do it on their own via handstand progressions.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:34 AM   #4
Roger Harrell

Profile:
The swing idea is something fun to try, and another excuse to get upside down, but I don't think it will get anyone to a handstand any sooner. Learning to get weight on your hands is about getting on the floor and kicking onto your hands little by little. If the swing encourages you to do it more often, great, use it.