CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-30-2010, 07:38 AM   #1
Ville Alapiha

Profile:
Preparing for CF

Hi!

I'd like to be able to a clean and a snatch with proper technique. That's my short term goal, which I'm trying to achieve some time this year.
I've recently started to work on my squats. I've understood that it's the most important exercise for beginners.

I was progressing nicely (or so I thought) until today when I noticed that my lumbar isn't straight when lowering myself to the bottom of the squat. I've tried the air squat and the front squat (with a broomstick). My back is straight right until my thighs are parallel to the ground. After that my lower back gets out of control and rounds out.

I've used the search and read the journal and I've discovered that this might be caused by hip flexors or the hamstrings. Am I right on this one?

I'd like to do squats with full range of motion, but I don't want to do any harm to my back. How should I continue? It doesn't seem right to continue doing air squats or front squats when I know I'm not doing it right. Should I forget about the front and air squats for a while and just do the "squat repairing exercises"? For example something like this http://www.againfaster.com/the-micd-...the-squat.html And add some hip flexor stretches to this?

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's had this problem in the beginning. How have you fixed this problem?
Old 07-30-2010, 08:02 AM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: Preparing for CF

Step 1. Buy "starting strength" and read it, esp. the section on Squats.
Step 2. Video tape yourself and post it in the "digital coaching" sectio herein.

and/or go to an affiliate.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:38 AM   #3
Ville Alapiha

Profile:
Re: Preparing for CF

I'll buy that book then. Thanks for the tip. If I can't fix my squat by myself, I'll post the video on the board. The closest affiliate is 60 miles away so that's not an option.