CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-10-2005, 05:26 PM   #1
Jason Berger

Profile:

Does anyone have any vid clips (or links to vid clips) of kettlebell snatches, swings, and C&Js?
Old 09-10-2005, 09:37 PM   #2
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
go to girevoysport.ru to see clips

Be aware that there techniques are for max efficiency and reps, not max power.
Old 09-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Robyn Joy

Profile:

I have never formally studied kettlebell technique so I can't vouch for this guy, but I found these videos quite helpful. He cross-references crossfit so maybe folks even know him around here. At any rate, he does have a very sexy pistol (no pun intended)!

http://www.kettlestack.com/level.itml/icOid/11
Old 09-13-2005, 01:35 AM   #4
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Robyn,
I met Jay at the the Level II RKC I attended in June. His KB technique is quite good. Try to find a KB club near you or get a lesson or two from an RKC in your area ( go to KB Instructors at the DD web site). You can then sub KBs into the WOD if you want, with the confidence that you won't hurt yourself with poor technique. CFers are strong enough to get hurt because they have the power to LAUNCH the KB, but can be hurt when it lands wrong on the forearm, wrist, shoulder, etc.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:16 AM   #5
Tony Young

Profile:
Tom,
I'm confused about Jay's snatch technique. It looks like a swing with a flip at the top. Is that the way to do that? I've been doing them straight up, close to the body. Not that I know what I'm doing, I'm just saying.
Old 09-13-2005, 08:37 AM   #6
Charlie Reid

Profile:
there are several ways to snatch a KB. Some guys like to keep it close to the body and drop underneath for the catch, whereas i see others do an exaggerated swing, with a "punch through" motion at the top to fix the bell overhead. And then there is the GS (Girevoy sport) Snatch, which is primarily about efficiency of movement (and is in my opinion the hardest to master). The GS Snatch requires a corkscrew motion to bring the bell down after each rep. I wish i had links, but someone should post videos of the different snatch techniques.
Old 09-13-2005, 05:48 PM   #7
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
When you pull it up close to your body (with a high elbow) you're doing what is called an "Oly-style" snatch. Pavel shows this on the DVD "More Russian KB Challenges".

The guys who do the GS snatch tend to bend their legs just slightly, and they fold more at the hips. The tempo is usually a medium pace, about 14 a minute.

The RKC style snatch is done with more power and snap. The legs bend more, the bell usually gets flipped over the top as the arm punched thru. The lockout is done very briefly, a fraction of a second. The RKC snatch is done for conditioning, not competition purposes.
Old 09-14-2005, 02:28 AM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Regarding the WOD from a few days ago involving DB/KB snatches: The DB snatch slideshow on the CF exersises page shows a full depth catch, whereas all the KB vids I have seen show an exagerated swing, with a hold at the top. I was just curious how people did the WOD, as this would seem to make a huge difference in the difficulty of the WOD, on par with the difference b/w the power-clean Elizabeth and the squat-clean Elizabeth. Any thoughts?
Old 09-14-2005, 05:11 AM   #9
Tony Young

Profile:
Tom,
Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize there were that many variations.

BTW, great interview on CFL the other night. I haven't had a chance to listen all the way thru but I've really enjoyed it and learned some things, too.
Old 09-16-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
Jeff Kolehmainen

Profile:
If you are doing the snatches with the swing variation how much do you have to worry about stressing the rotator cuff. I was told that to do it with this motion can asking for trouble?