CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #1
Mike Groth

Profile:
Help Preparing for OCS...

I am planning on joining the military soon and wanted to get some feedback on ways to increase my pft. Here's my plan:

1) Crossfit (5 on 2 off)
2) Diet (I need to lose 9 pounds...so time to dial into The Zone)
3) Armstrong pullup program http://www.scmarineofficer.com/scmar...ongworkout.pdf (wfs)
4) 5k running program (any advice on a good one?)

What I'm wondering is if adding the Armstrong Pullup Program and a 5k run training program to crossfit will be too much? If so, do any of you have some advice to increase my pullup number AND 3 mile run time while doing CF?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 11-17-2008, 05:41 PM   #2
Travis Leonhardt

Profile:
Re: Help Preparing for OCS...

Hey man I'm in the Army and unless you just suck at running i would stick to the WODs at full intensity, your run times will go down and your pull-ups will go up. If you feel you need more run time sub a fast 5k once a week. Work on some ruck marching I hear that just breaks you LT's hearts in OCS. My 2 cents hope it helps. Where you doing OCS at?

www.ftbenningcrossfit.com
Old 11-17-2008, 06:01 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:

It depends on when you're going to OCS, whether you are going the full 10 weeks or 6 weeks, and what your weaknesses are. How's your PFT?

CrossFitting 5 on 2 off, plus Armstrong, plus 5k running program is a recipe for burnout.

CrossFit is great for the Marines, but you need to know where your priorities are. If you have a lot of time, you can do more CrossFit. If you have less time, you probably will have to focus more on running and pullups. Another idea is to mix a lot of running into your WODs.
Old 11-17-2008, 06:21 PM   #4
Stephen Clayman

Profile:

Unless your 3 mile sucks (21+) skip the 5k program and just start running with boots, utes and duece gear. BTW, the slowest man in our company ran a 20:19 on our final PFT. No matter how fast you can run, you'll never be able to keep up with the hats anyways. Do some fartlek courses and you should be ok. PT is tough, but it's the best part of your day.

The humps aren't bad. They are crappy because you do them at night, so you can't see and you're tired.

As for the diet, don't go in their too light. I lost 25lbs; there just isn't enough food to keep you at your current weight.

Good luck.

Last edited by Stephen Clayman; 11-17-2008 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-17-2008, 06:59 PM   #5
Donald Lee

Profile:

I gained about 5 lbs the first 6 weeks. In the beginning I leaned out because we were active all day running around and because we weren't given much time to eat. After a while, the activity level tends to lower, and I was still eating like a pig (i.e., making sure to shove down a muffin at every meal).
Old 11-17-2008, 07:36 PM   #6
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Mike:

When preparing for a specific goal, it helps to know where you are starting before we can advise you where to go. Can you give us where you are at now fitness wise as it stacks up against the PFT you'll be taking? I'll save my answers for a complete response when I know where you're starting.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
Mike Groth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Whipple View Post
Mike:

When preparing for a specific goal, it helps to know where you are starting before we can advise you where to go. Can you give us where you are at now fitness wise as it stacks up against the PFT you'll be taking? I'll save my answers for a complete response when I know where you're starting.
Sorry, I should have given some more info in my OP. Right now I am planning on either going in the Marines or Navy. As far as where I'm at fitness wise: I did crossfit for close to a year then switched to a pure strength training routine. Today was my first day back to crossfit. And my numbers as they would stack up against the PFT would probably be around a 24+ min 3 mile run (my running has gone really downhill since switching to strength training and bulking up), 7 pullups and I'm not quite sure on my crunches and pushup numbers.

I'm still waiting to talk a Navy recruiter. I talked to the Marine recruiter today and if I decide to go into the Marines I would probably go to OCS in May.
Old 11-17-2008, 08:56 PM   #8
Donald Lee

Profile:

Are you going the full 10 weeks or 6 weeks? Also, what's your height and weight? Also, what was your 3-mile run time like prior to the bulking up?
Old 11-17-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Mike Groth

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald Lee View Post
Are you going the full 10 weeks or 6 weeks? Also, what's your height and weight? Also, what was your 3-mile run time like prior to the bulking up?
If I go Marines I would go the full 10 weeks. Right now I'm 6'4", 245lbs. My 3 mile time before bulking up was probably around 21-22 minutes....and that was from just doing CF.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:46 PM   #10
Ryan Whipple

Profile:

Mike...formatting is your friend...

You:
7 Pullups
? Crunches
24+ 3 mile run

Marine Corps Perfect Standards:
20 Pullups
100 Crunches
18:10 3 Mile Run.

Judging by your height/weight, you are one of those strong guys who isn't done justice by the purely bodyweight military PT tests. Hopefully this changes, but it won't before your OCS class. With that in mind:

Your ideas are right. Clearly you need to do more pullups and running. Probably more ab work too. Cleaning up your diet is good, training extra for running is good, overlapping AS Pullups and CF is probably not good. 5-2 training is ok, 3-1 or 3-1-2-1 is better.

SOOOOOO

If you are absolutely committed to a 5-2 cycle, make sure you incorporate pullups into the WOD somehow twice a week, I'd suggest Monday and Thursday. Incorporate running into the WOD or do it afterwards on Wednesday and Friday. Abs when you want.

On a 3-1, do the WOD, and run on the first day of the cycle, pullups on the second day, abs on the third day.

On a 3-1-2-1, do run/pullups/abs/run/pullups.

The best way to approach ANY of the above programs is to lag one week behind the main page WOD so you know what is planned for the week and can adjust either your extra work or the WOD itself accordingly.

Running: One day of medium length sprints a week. Make it about 1.5 miles total work. That's 6 400s, or 3 800s, or...you can do the math. 15 100s is a waste of your time with where you are right now. Don't do that. One day of longer runs. Either do something like Murph (one mile, something else, one more mile), or do a 2-4 mile run.

Pullups: Variety and volume. Do 21-15-9. Do Cindy...AMRAP 5 reps in 20 mins. Do kipping. Do strict. Do weighted. Never do them the same way twice in a row. But do lots of them. You're only doing them two days a week or so, but if you make each workout count, that's all you'll need.

Abs: My own Achilles heel. GHS situps will rock your socks. Every once in a while test yourself using the PFT style exercise. Ensure you are making progress, and get accustomed to performing on that type of test.

On a side note, I maxed the AFPFT on Crossfit plus a little additional running. I was worried about the test, but I realized afterwards that the dread I feel before Cindy or Fran is way worse than the PFT. Fran takes every ounce of strength I have. The PFT just can't really break you down that much. The general physical preparedness that we preach about it real: my score in doing pushups on Crossfit was better than my score from training by doing lots of pushups. The mental strength you gain from facing such beastly workouts will help you considerably in your efforts to improve your score.

I'm not sure how much more advice you need, other than the obvious need for you to take this advice and turn it into ACTION! So get to it!