CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 07-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #1
Scott Peckford

Profile:  
Hi All,

Just a question on rest days.

I know the CF workouts do a 3:1 cycle of work to rest, but I was wondering if anyone here incorporates a longer rest period. If so how often? Do you schedule your prolonged rest periods. Example: Take a week off every couple of months or do you just go by feel?

Also, does anyone know how long of a rest period you can take before it starts to have negative affect? i.e. you start getting weaker and losing conditioning.

Thanks

Scott
Old 07-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #2
Neil Eldridge

Profile:  
From what I've read on the message board, some crossfitters take a week off every 12 weeks, and some do a half-volume week every once and a while (I can't remember the timing of the half volume week).

I have been crossfitting for about 4 months now, and I took a week off three weeks ago (at 12 weeks), and I definitely think it was a good thing. I don't really see how it hurt my performance when I came back, and I think I saw visible gains after that week of doing nothing. I will continue with the rest week every 12 weeks.
Old 07-27-2005, 02:56 PM   #3
David Easton

Profile:
I DIDNT take a week off when I should have and boy did I pay for that.

I started CrossFit mid January and trained right through to June without taken more than the 1 day off. Got to June and just had to take 5 days off, I couldnt face training and was really tired.

Now I plan on taking a week off at the end of September.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:01 AM   #4
Brendan Melville

Profile:
You go by your body. My body tells me to take a week off about every 8 weeks, so I do it.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:06 AM   #5
James R. Climer

Profile:
I'm currently in general shut down: I keep injuring myself, nothing incapacitating, just hindering, elbow tendonitis, sore ankle & achilles tendon, groin & lower abdominal strain simply from running bases in softball and no signs of healing, just lingering soreness. I've also got the blahs about life in general, so I've decided to just give it a rest for a month solid, work on the diet discipline and see if that helps.
Old 07-28-2005, 09:03 AM   #6
Kathryn Steen

Profile:
i think i remember reading the suggested timing for 1/2 volume is every 4 weeks, with a week off every 12-16 (as Neil has already stated). i mark them in my planner.
coming up on one right now for that matter.
also go by my body. if looking at the WOD makes me want to cry rather than "get some", i'm past due for a rest.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:14 AM   #7
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Jim,
We share some sort of symbiotic connection.
I'm suffering with tendonitis in the elbows, achillies, and back. My glutes and hammies are so tight right now, it's killing my back. My ankles are a little unstable. Overall, under rested.
Of course, my solution is to sit at a video poker machine for a couple of hours and see how many free drinks I can get. YMMV!

When I get back I'll probably just do some light cardio and housework to keep the weight reasonable.
BTW, look up posts by Larry L. for the definitive answer on rest periods. I follwo what he advises pretty regularly. He tells me it makes me smarter!