CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-07-2005, 03:16 PM   #1
Paul Scott Suliin

Profile:
I finished Diane (with modifications) in 31:35 this last time. I was amazed by some of the times others logged - as little as 1/10th of mine. But, as I said on the comments to the WOD I was still pleased, because this was the first time I've finished Diane at all, and I did it in much better time than any previous attempt.

This left me thinking about the idea of taking progress where you find it. I'm looking to get Diane in under 10:00. But at the moment I'm thinking that finally getting past my "Diane Barrier" is not a bad thing.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:34 PM   #2
Matt Gagliardi

Profile:
Paul, IMO you have exactly the right attitude. There aren't many people that can just pick up the bar and turn in amazing times. It takes work for everyone. Track your times, celebrate your improvements and analyze your setbacks. Approach each repeated WOD knowing what you did last time and what you need to do now to improve.

You'll crack that 10:00 before you know it.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Michael Keller

Profile:
Good job Paul! Nothing to be ashamed of at all. It all takes time, as I'm leaning. I'm not very patient, but CrossFit is teaching me patience. Just keep plugging away and it'll come. The way I look at it, I'm in this for the long haul--it's not a sprint but a marathon. Maybe when I'm 90, I'll be able to do 90 HSPU's, do Diane in 10 minutes and laugh at all the young guys seeing Pukie for the first time.
Old 05-08-2005, 04:45 AM   #4
Peter Galloway

Profile:

Good stuff Paul! Also, it's nice to know that you're the "Paul S" that posts on the WOD comments. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-08-2005, 07:23 AM   #5
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
That's what you love about the benchmarks, you know in the future there coming back. The best thing to do is let the "black box" work. Keep doing CF and you will see improvements. Log your times and try to beat them each time you go back to a benchmark. Next time you do Diane, come up wit a stratagy: Shorten rest, do more reps prior to breaking, or just go from one exercise to the nextwithout break. As long as you improve, your going in the right direction.
Old 05-09-2005, 05:02 AM   #6
bill fox

Profile:

This is a really good thread and at the heart of what's really exciting to me about CF. The "black box effect" is real. I "understand" what's going on in the box but I don't really care. When Daine came up again I thought "S%&t I've only DLed like 2x in a month (Last Diane and 3 bars of death), maybe I should go 185..." I put 135 on and it felt like the bar. 225 felt like 185. I went from 10 DLs straight to 18. Live and learn - or shut up and train -or both.
Old 05-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #7
William Hunter

Profile:
Totally agree. Something strange does occur when following the WOD. My speed and edurance are "OK" (somewhat closer to the middle of the pack) but strength wise I'm still in the bottom 10%. I often have to fight off the nagging urge to specialize, at the cost of the WOD, in heavy DL, squat and overhead press training. Then I usually just tell myself to shut up and do what I'm told.

Missed the April Diane, but did my modified version in March, then again the other day. Very little DLing inbetween. Went from 17:30 to 11:30 with what appears to be very little specific training. Ready to up the weight now.

Paul, there are many CFers that you and I (and many others) will never equal. A few of those have already responded to your post. Making consistents gains and improving yourself is what it's all about. Keep up the good work!
Old 05-09-2005, 09:45 AM   #8
Ron Nelson

Profile:
Paul,
I'm with you brother!
Having little or no weight training background (I was an aerobic junkie for years, spinning, elipticals, stationary bikes) learning and perfecting my deadlift is utmost on my mind. Someone like Kelly blasts through Diane in sub 4 min. and at that point I'm on DL # 15, if I'm using 225#. I find that if I go a little lighter, work on form, go intense, I get there sooner than I think. It helped on Helen, now I blow through swings like they're fun or something.