CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 05-09-2005, 09:23 PM   #1
Corenthian Booker

Profile:  
I am a beginner CF. I did Sundays WOD today about 75% speed and 4/5 reps. Tuesdays WOD will be more challenging for me. I am not very strong in my pullups and I can't hold an L yet nor do a proper knee to elbow. Does anyone have any substitution recommendations?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:30 PM   #2
Tom Schneitter

Profile:
Corenthian, I would suggest you attempt getting as many pullups with knees to your chest as you can. Then move on to jumping pullups and negatives. You should make to certain that when
you do all of your pullups that you get your body into the best attempt of an L during the negative.
During knees to elbow, I would suggest that you try your best to get your knees as close to you elbows as you can.
After the WOD, I would supplement your fun with some focus on your midsection. V-ups,hollow rocks, situps,plank are possibilities.
Old 05-10-2005, 09:31 AM   #3
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
For the OH Squat you can sub a broomstick or pvc pipe, an empty bar or less weight. Dumbbells are okay but not the best cuz it changes the way you hold the weight.

For L pullups, you can do them with the knees bent into the chest as Tom suggested, negatives are great-jump up, get the L and lower down. Finally if you can't pull yourself up do L hangs. You can also alternate the legs: one bent one straight. Another thing you can try is to find a step ladder or something to rest your heels on so you can keep a sort of L shape in the body as you do the pullups.

Knees to elbows you have the option of using lifting straps to give your grip a rest or doing knee raises on one of those contraptions at the gym resting on your elbows or putting your elbows in those hammocks. If you have rings, you could do skin-the-cats.

Good luck
Old 05-10-2005, 09:51 AM   #4
Corenthian Booker

Profile:  
Thanks guys your suggestions are helpful.