CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-31-2007, 10:04 AM   #1
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
My fiancee since the day we've met has always had health related problems. Nothing huge or that cant be fixed. But always seems to have an upset stomach, headaches, nausea and common colds. So shes been taking a multi for women the past couple of months and eats a pretty balanced diet. She does however through in grains now and then. Things like oatmeal, bread and when she doesnt feel well she tends to snack on crackers.

Sorry for rambling i'll get to my question now. She doesnt want to be taking in a lot of supplementation (good girl). So in your opinions what do you think would be the best thing to pick up for her to boost her immunity or such. I was thinking either a pro-biotic or digestive enymes might help.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:14 AM   #2
Michael Tong

Profile:
I think probiotics may help. I just started on some kimchee so I cannot comment on whether or not it is making a difference yet. Also, going to a more Paleo-based diet may help. Ginger tea helps the occasional upset stomach - for me anyways.
Old 01-31-2007, 11:56 AM   #3
William Hunter

Profile:
Could be a sneaky food allergy in there somewhere.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
Outside any long lasting medical conditions....Is she getting full nights sleep? Does she workout...too little or too much? Whats her daily food intake like? If she is not eating enough healthy calories or overtraining it will shoot down T3 levels, drop the metabolism and bottom out the immune system....aka typical vegetarian diet or people that spend 2 hours on the eliptical machine at globo gym 7days a week and wonder why they never see any results.

Dr G prob has some valuable info if you contact him. Anything to help boost recovery (healthy foods, mod exercise, sleep, stress reduction, etc) should have a positive reflection on the immune system as well.

Of course what would be a post if I didnt also say Probiotics and Dig Enzymes to help the gut. Everything starts there...life and death.

(Message edited by mike_od on January 31, 2007)
Old 01-31-2007, 02:18 PM   #5
Yael Grauer

Profile:
In addition to what everyone else wrote, make sure she's getting enough vitamin A and zinc in her diet.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:47 PM   #6
Mark Madonna

Profile:
Fish Oil or Cod Liver Oil
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM   #7
Charles Steven Ossenheimer

Profile:
Mike
she gets in about 7 hrs a sleep consistently every night. She works out 5 days a week (45 mins cardio 45 minutes weight training). Her daily food intake is generally pretty good..i would say she eates healthy about 80% of the time. I thought at one point she was over trained so i had her stop working out for 2 weeks and eat a healthy balanced diet. Didnt seem to help though.

I think i am going to pick her up some acidophilous from our local market. I am going to have her on that first and see where that takes us.

Mark
I def agree with the oils but i cant get her to even try it. I take it every day, and she knows the benefits but she wont try it.

Im also going to email dr. G and see what he has to say..ill post his responce...
Old 01-31-2007, 07:16 PM   #8
Charlie Jackson

Profile:
Not trying to be disrespectful but it sounds like a text book case of hypochrondia to me. Stop trying to nurse her and take care of her and watch it all go away (after a big fight of course).
Old 01-31-2007, 07:22 PM   #9
Mike ODonnell

Profile:
"She works out 5 days a week (45 mins cardio 45 minutes weight training)"

Unless she is taking in 3000+ calories a day...I am going to guess overtraining...that will kill the immune system everytime. She may need more calories or more time off between workouts.....overtraining will lower T3 and immune....see it all the time with people "brainwashed" to think they need to spend 2 hours in a gym a day....like the old saying goes, if you are not done in 30-45 min TOTAL...you are making friends...not progress. She needs probably more than 2 weeks at lower intensity and enough calories....or a new hobby to keep her from craving the gym all the time. If her body is not changing, she is not gaining definition and not lowering body fat....what's the purpose of working out all wrong? People dont like to hear it....but it happens more than you know.

Eating "healthy" may still only be 1200 calories...which would be WAY under her demand. So either the calories have to go up...or the smarter thing is the training needs to be less. Plus anything over 45 minutes begins a hormonal switch from anabolic to catabolic.

Being addicted to working out hurts more people than it helps.

(Message edited by mike_od on January 31, 2007)
Old 02-01-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Mike hit it! More calories less LSD.