CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 07-09-2008, 03:40 PM   #1
Leifur Geir Hafsteinsson

Profile:
Renting space from a regular gym

Hi all. Since this is my first post I want to start with expressing my sincere thanks to all of you for so generously contributing to the numerous discussions going on. What a resource this forum is!

I am pondering an interesting question. I'm interested in becoming an affiliate in Iceland and two of the options I'm facing are EITHER renting about 1200 sq feet space within a regular (Globo) gym and running it on my own OR partnering with them (joint ownership of the affiliate). The owners of the gym are quite excited over crossfit and seem to understand its potential.

My question: Has anyone experienced or heard of a partnership/arrangement like this? What do you think of it?

Thanks for your input
Old 07-09-2008, 10:00 PM   #2
Justin Rovtar

Profile:
Re: Renting space from a regular gym

My biggest problem with integrating it in the Globo Gym is the pricing. I feel that most Globo gyms will keep withing their existing low rate monthly fees. I think if Globo's start to do this then all Crossfit Affiliates will be undercut and out of business at some point in time.

One thing I feel strongly about is that most affiliates do not charge enough for their service. I feel that Crossfit is worth more than $185 per month. As a prime example, take a look what people will spend for a typical "trendy" boot camp class, sometimes in excess of $450 for 6 weeks. Also look at private training in the globo. Most will pay between $50-$100 per session and usually get much less than what a Crossfit class can offer in terms of functional fitness.

I think the price war is in its early phases of development. Get ready affiliates, it is going to get ugly.