CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #1
John Crouch

Profile:
Garage gym space rental?

I will be moving to Las Vegas in a few months into a condominium and have a really nice gym right now in my garage (I live in a house right now). Is anyone else out there in this situation where you need a separate space to rent to have your own personal gym in? Gym equipment in my condo is not an option.

What are the best options in terms of access, security, electricity, and ability to actually work out uninhibited. Naturally, reasonable rental rates would be a plus. If anyone else has been through this situation, I would be interested in what your solution was. I would love to be able to do tire flip/drag, farmers walk and other strongman/conditioning type drills near the gym, but this is not necessarily mandatory.
Old 06-15-2008, 01:22 PM   #2
Jon Gramlich

Profile:
Re: Garage gym space rental?

Maybe a storage unit? They have concrete floors, tall ceilings, and are generally on open-ish lots that you could do outdoor work. Electricity is an option I believe, but I could be wrong.
Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM   #3
John Crouch

Profile:

Yeah, I definitely thought of a storage unit. If anyone has actually done this and it worked out well or badly, please fill me in. I fear that due to insurance liability, some of those places might not like near-daily workouts in the space. I may at least initially store my stuff and experiment with actual use of the space to see how it works out, but if anyone else has tried this, I would be interested in hearing about it.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:55 PM   #4
Ajay Handa

Profile:

No personal experience with this, but...

A few months back, I had an outdoor storage unit. On the 4 or 5 times I visited, I always noticed a car parked about 5 stalls down. I never walked over to actually look in his unit, but I got the distinct impression he was working out. He kept the radio on in his car for entertainment. He usually wasn't wearing a shirt and repeatedly walked back and forth to his car to get a drink.

Interestingly, I also read (or saw TV reports) about people using indoor (air-conditioned) units as office space. From all of the paperwork I had to sign to get my unit, I distinctly got the impression that as along as there is no elicit activity and no likelihood of damage to the unit, you are on your own in regards to what you choose to do in the unit. Also, the management does an excellent job in covering their butts, legally speaking; so the liability is yours not theirs.

Cheers
Old 06-15-2008, 06:50 PM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Either that or he was using it as a meth lab :stir: