CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 03-11-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Cullen Danner

Profile:
Globo Crossfitter - Which Website to Follow?

I started doing CF on my own a few years ago, joined an affiliate for about 4 months (which I loved, but couldn't continue to afford), and now I'm back at a Globo meathead factory farm. It's not all bad though, they have boxes (up to 30"), kettlebells (up to 35 lb), jump ropes, C2 rowers (most amazing), and good racks for lifting, in addition to pull up and dip bars. What they don't have of course is a climbing rope, a sense of community, friendly but intensely motivating competition, or rings. Despite what they lack, I make due pretty well and supplement by going to local parks for any wods that don't require barbells.

For the past year or so I've been sticking to the HQ wod, but was wondering what other home Crossfitters follow. I'm considering just picking a local affiliate (Crossfit Firebase) and abiding by their wod's. It seems the affiliates have some upside in that some even prescribe a warm-up, then a skill to work on, and then of course a wod. Without CF coaches, I figure I might stand to benefit from a more comprehensive approach.

Your thoughts?

Also, on a side note...it occurred to me that working out at a globo gym is a lot like shopping for healthy/paleo food in a grocery store - stick to the perimeter - avoid processed foods and weight machines
Old 03-19-2013, 11:19 AM   #2
John Loiacono

Profile:
Re: Globo Crossfitter - Which Website to Follow?

there are a lot of them out there. Crossfit football and Crossfit endurance are both good. also SEALFIT is really good but a bit harder. honestly you can look at any elite crossfitters gym website and do there wods. ive been doing rich froning's gym's (crossfit mayhem) and those wods are great. good luck!!!!
Old 03-23-2013, 08:56 PM   #3
Mike Carter

Profile:

I like crossfit-strength and just found crossfitsuasponte.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:19 AM   #4
Jeffrey Cupra

Profile:

Find a blog or affiliate with some type of periodization which one you choose isnt that imortant as long as you stay with the programming at least for half a year.

some which i find good
- CF invictus/OPT big dawgs
- The outlaw way
- Competitors wod
and many more....
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
Michael A. Jones

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullen Danner View Post
I started doing CF on my own a few years ago, joined an affiliate for about 4 months (which I loved, but couldn't continue to afford), and now I'm back at a Globo meathead factory farm. It's not all bad though, they have boxes (up to 30"), kettlebells (up to 35 lb), jump ropes, C2 rowers (most amazing), and good racks for lifting, in addition to pull up and dip bars. What they don't have of course is a climbing rope, a sense of community, friendly but intensely motivating competition, or rings. Despite what they lack, I make due pretty well and supplement by going to local parks for any wods that don't require barbells.

For the past year or so I've been sticking to the HQ wod, but was wondering what other home Crossfitters follow. I'm considering just picking a local affiliate (Crossfit Firebase) and abiding by their wod's. It seems the affiliates have some upside in that some even prescribe a warm-up, then a skill to work on, and then of course a wod. Without CF coaches, I figure I might stand to benefit from a more comprehensive approach.

Your thoughts?

Also, on a side note...it occurred to me that working out at a globo gym is a lot like shopping for healthy/paleo food in a grocery store - stick to the perimeter - avoid processed foods and weight machines
Cullen,

I workout at home and rarely go to any boxes; most in my area are expensive and full of egos..... I do my own programming, surf affiliate sites and use this site: http://www.wodshop.org/ (WSF) It has Hero, chippers, you name it.....You can even develop your own and post.

I admit to not doing some lifts /movements because I have no coach, but I CF because it has gotten me in the best shape. Much better than becoming a lunk.....

Going to an affiliate has its perks though. Certified folks to coach and mentor. But, as you stated, money can become an issue.

Hope I came close to answering your questions.

Michael
Old 04-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #6
Steven Nedorolik

Profile:

If your gym doesn't allow for Olympic lifting (as most Globos do not) you'll have to stay away from olympic lift-centric programing like Outlaw.

Of course they're some great programming there (outlaw) but if you can't drop weight, then you'll have to stick to other stuff.

another vote for Crossfit Football for your instance