CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout of the Day
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout of the Day Questions & performance regarding CrossFit's WOD

Old 09-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #1
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Is there anyone here who does ONLY crossfit? Particularly Dave Leys, Greg Amundson, Matt Mast, etc., and no other sports? Sports for fun, of course, but as far as an athletic endeavor(i.e. Mike Tyson is a Boxer, and John Doe is a Crossfitter) know where Im comin from?

For a while, I used crossfit as just a tool to enhance my TaeKwonDo conditioning. In practice, however, I enjoy the Crossfit WOD 10 times better than TKD, or anything else I do. I am now at a stage where the WOD is more important to me than any other type of sport, and I make the WOD a priority above the other activities. I just jump on trampoline and/or kickbox the heavy bag for fun in the evenings IF I feel like it(usually every day) But the WOD HAS TO BE DONE. Therefore, I would consider myself a Crossfitter rather than a fighter.

Hopefully this starts a good discussion.:wink:

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-08-2004, 02:00 AM   #2
Pat Janes

Profile:

I've done *exactly* the same thing, Roy. I used to do Wing Chun Kung Fu and BJJ 2-3 times a week, but it became harder to motivate myself into attending, when I started working from home (meant a commute into the city just for training).

I began to realise that I was enjoying the WOD far more than my martial arts training, so for now, that's mostly all I do (apart from extra gymnastic, oly lifting work, kickbag, kick the footy around with eldest son etc when I get the urge).

--pat
Old 09-08-2004, 04:39 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
I train Crossfit about 90% more than I train for martial arts. That being said, I really only have to work skill and tactical work with MA because CF handles everything else, no sport specific conditioning here!
Old 09-08-2004, 06:20 AM   #4
Michael Pearce

Profile:
I am in the same boat as Larry. I train once or twice a week to keep up skill and improve techinque but I use CF as my sport and fitness.
Old 09-08-2004, 08:12 AM   #5
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Up until a week ago I was starting to reintroduce the NHB fighting to my list of activities. Although I still enjoyed the training, it doesn't hold the same appeal anymore. My training partner had to call it off recently (he had to go to some place called 'school' to study something called 'molecular biology' - where is this kid's priorities?). I was almost relieved when our sessions ended as it would allow me to focus entirely on the WOD and developing O-lifting technique.

While training NHB and the WOD simultaneously, I often worried about the negative impact of the former on the latter, never the other way around. Sometimes during NHB I noticed that I started to breathe a little heavy but it quickly occurred to me that it was nothing close to the same feeling caused by most of the WODs.

Ryan
Old 09-08-2004, 09:23 AM   #6
Matthew Albanese

Profile:
Some really interesting responses here, particularly from Guro Larry. To find out that he only trains a few times a week, considering his skill level, is mind-boggling. I spend close to 2 hours a day, 5 days a week at my martial arts academy (NSA), but most of that time ends up being spent teaching/coaching, not training. So I end up focusing on conditioning as the top priority, whether it means doing the WOD, or hitting the bag/Thai pads/focus mitts. If I can't do any other form of training, I make sure to at least do the WOD.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:15 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Hi Matt, thanks for the compliments. I've been doing martial arts for so long, it's almost like walking to me. There have been times that I haven't picked up a stick for two months and when I do, my timing may be off a little but it comes back quickly. . .I really am in the maintenance mode for martial arts. But this was after 20 years of daily, intense, MA training with excellent instructors,training partners, and students.
Old 09-08-2004, 10:47 AM   #8
Tanner Kolb

Profile:
for me, i graduated from college last year where i had wrestled for four years and it has killed me to give it up. i have still trained off and on with a guy who tried out for the olympics but didnt make it(lost to sanderson in the semis). now i climb and crossfit, i try to incorporate my hangboard into the WOD as much as i can, and i feel like cross fit has helped me so much. since i cant climb outside everyday as i would like to, during the week my time is devoted to the WOD and most days on the weekend to the crag. cross over training is great and i feel like the two compliment eachother so much.

Old 09-08-2004, 05:43 PM   #9
Roy Taylor

Profile:
Great Responses. After doing the WOD for the past 8 weeks(I did it off and on before), I conclude that as far as martial arts success goes, at least 80% comes from fitness level. I skipped 3 weeks of TKD class recently, and did strictly the WOD and a little heavy bag. When I came back, my kicks were better than ever, and barely have any interest in TKD anymore. This program is an enigma, to say the least; Thanks Coach!

Cheers

Roy
Old 09-08-2004, 06:59 PM   #10
David Wood

Profile:

I don't do any "real" sports anymore; a family, a house, and a 60-hour week at my job pretty much preclude that. I still ski each winter, and I still do that pretty aggressively. I can't imagine a better GPP program for a recreational skier than CrossFit.

Besides, CrossFit provides most or all that I would want from a sports activity, anyway: physical fitness, mental relief, outlet for competitive urges, community, and the opportunity to make a public spectacle of myself. What more could I want?

Dave