CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-23-2004, 05:01 AM   #1
Parth Shah

Profile:
Ok, so most of you know that my dad's getting me a weight set. Without spending too much money, what do you guys suggest I get? I was thinking a regular barbell, with the following weight plates: 5's,10's,25's,35's, and 45's.

That's about 285 pounds of resistance including the bar. I'm pretty sure I can handle 95 pounds easily on most olympic exercises, but I just won't be able to complete the reps that crossfit usually says to do. For example for a hang clean, I can probably do 95 for about 8 times.
Old 03-23-2004, 06:20 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Hi Parth,

If I remember right, Dick's Sporting Goods periodically sells 300# weight sets for around $100. If that's too much money check out used sporting goods stores and/or keep your eye out for rummage sales. A fourth option is to search for Frank's ancient post on cement weights (although I think those were pretty heavy).

Hope this helps,

Ryan
Old 03-23-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
Parth Shah

Profile:
100 dollars is pretty nice. My dad's gonna be spending the money. So I guess buying a set would be much cheeper than buying it seperately. What about something like this? http://www.modells.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1125026&cp=693997&parentPage= family
Old 03-23-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
I got a 300lb set for 100 bucks. Good deal.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:29 PM   #5
Jason Lauer

Profile:
York Barbell also sells 300lb sets for $100 out of their factory outlet. Also, if you can get anyrubber coated plates get them, they aren't quite bumper plates, but it's better than accidentally dropping the weights on a cement floor.
Old 03-23-2004, 08:17 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Bumper plates! Bumper plates! Bumper plates!!!!

Seriously. They are much safer, they are easier on your floors and you can do a wider variety of exercises on them. All because you can drop them.

For $126 at Bigger Faster Stronger you can get a pair of 25 lb. bumpers plus for $17 you can get a set of 10#, 5#, and 2.5# small iron plates. Then you just need an Olympic barbell for really good start. Add to that a pair of 45 lb bumpers ($180) and you are in good shape for a long time.

Don't waste money on regular barbells and iron plates that can't be dropped. Not for a home gym.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:33 AM   #7
Gunther

Profile:  
I do not have space for a big weight set. What you can do, buy some sand (over here a 25 kg bag costs you 1.99 euro and I guess in the US it won't be much more expensive. Then go to an army dump store and get an army duffelbag. You can put the bags of sand in the duffelbag and you have a great training device which trains your grip also as you have an awkward weight to handle.

To prevent a mess when one bag breaks get those zipper bags (this part I still need to get myself) and fill them with sand (do not fill them completely as that way they feel like bricks) and close them, seal them extra of with duck tape and put antother zipperbag over it and seal also (extra protection). So fill as many bags as you like and this way you can make small weight increments instead of a 25 kg jump (which probably is too much). I know the filling is some work but afterwards you are glad you did and for not much money you have a great training device which you can make as heavy as you want.

I shall also give a link to more self-made equipment. Here it is:
http://www.geocities.com/fightraining/

here you find also more links to other sites. Enjoy and hope this helps.

Don't forget, it has not always to be expensive and great looking equipment to get results, simple stuff works also, your muscles do not see what you are lifting, they just "know" they have to work hard.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:39 AM   #8
Carl Herzog

Profile:  
Presumably there is a limit to the amount of additional weight (45 lb bar, plus a number of smaller diameter plates) that 2- 25 lb bumpers can handle before you would experience problems. What problems would crop up as the total weight increased? Any idea how much weight they could handle?
Old 03-24-2004, 10:20 AM   #9
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
It's extra wear and tear on the hubs that's the problem. The thinner the rubber plate, the more stress on the hubs. Load 'em up too much and eventually the hubs will start to pop out when you drop the bar. I wouldn't go above 150 pounds or so total.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:59 PM   #10
dave ojeda

Profile:
I found this place
http://www.bsolympicgym.com
There 45lb are 69.00 apiece