CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-26-2006, 12:04 PM   #1
Travis Ransom

Profile:
I recieved my copy yesterday of "mastering the zone". I read a good portion of it last night and like what I'm reading however. I work at a firehouse and I don't have the time to make some of these drawn out recipes. I am a 18 zones a day guy. 167lbs 7%BF. I want to get my act together by next week and start falling the zone stickly and need some ideas. I also tend to drink protein drinks now during my snack period that I have now which will give me way more then the recomended amount, is that going to be a problem?
I will say I love this crossfit. I have went from 12.8%BF to my 7%BF in just 1.5 months. Once I get the feel of the zone going, then I want to up my zones and start packing on some lean mass. Thanks for any advice on quick and easy recipes and any other help you might want to throw my way. Thanks

Travis
Old 04-26-2006, 12:14 PM   #2
Rob McBee

Profile:
Travis,

Check the back issues of the Crossfit Journal. There is an entire issue devoted to Zone meals with sample plans for different block amounts. Sorry I can't remember the journal number. Congrats on the big drop in bodyfat%. Sounds like you have the diet wired really well already.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:42 PM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
My wife and I cook up a bunch of chicken breasts at the beginning of the week and keep them in the fridge for meals throughout the week. I'll eat them plain with a piece of fruit and almonds for a snack or chopped on top of a salad for lunch. For dinner we'll toss chopped chicken into a pan with veggies and do a quick stir fry. We've also managed to find some pretty healthy seasonings and sauces to help add more variety to the chicken.

If you have a slowcooker they're great for making a variety of Zone meals. We even cook the odd roast in our slowcooker and it's a nice smell to come home to.

For quick snacks I'll use protein powder and a piece of fruit with some almonds.

It won't take long before you find what works for you, your tastes and your schedule.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:45 PM   #4
Paul Findley

Profile:
Think in whole foods, those recipes are a bit less tedious.

Food + Heat then Eat.

Use those complicated recipes when you get bored.
Old 04-26-2006, 02:31 PM   #5
Garrett Smith

Profile:
I've never used a single recipe from the book.

Meat + oil/nuts + fruits/veggies. Simple as that.

Get some measuring cups & spoons and a food scale, you'll be set. Some people like having a calculator, depending on how sloppy their math is.

You'll want to start referring to them as "blocks", not "zones", so you won't confuse people who want to assist you in the future. :happy:
Old 04-26-2006, 03:06 PM   #6
Jeremy Froley

Profile:
travis -
I'll help Rob out, Crossfit Journal #21. I might add that the issue has helped me quite a bit. Well worth it.
Old 04-27-2006, 04:55 AM   #7
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Yep most of us do slab of meat, fish or eggs, vegs, fruit, and almonds, walnuts, or olive oil. Recipies are fine for special meals, but usually there just a pain.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:55 AM   #8
Tim Carmignani

Profile:
Found a new one I like:

2 cups Trader Joe's Organic Vegetable Broth
Bag of frozen spinach OR fresh or frozen broccoli
garlic

Bring broth to a boil
add vegetable and whole garlic cloves (3 for me)
cook till tender (5ish minutes)
take lid off and let stand for 5 minutes with no heat
*** Don't put off the stove hot into a blender with a snug lid ***
blender or food processor puree the soup till desired texture
season to taste

I've found 18 ozs of fresh broccoli (after prep) with 3 cloves of garlic and fresh ground pepper to be quite good. With that much broccoli you have to be a bit attentive to the cooking though.

With frozen broccoli I have had to add red wine vinegar to get a good taste (along with the pepper but had used no garlic that time).

This is a pretty good way to get a serving of the insanely large amounts of some veggies. For me anyway.

The worst part of this is the sodium in the vegetable broth - but I can live with that (about 33% daily RDA for the entire soup)

Tim
Old 04-27-2006, 11:18 AM   #9
Dan Strametz

Profile:
I have a question about fish oil. I'm having a problem swallowing the pills. Does it come in any other package?? I tried blending them up in a protien shake, yuck! any ideas?
Old 04-27-2006, 11:52 AM   #10
Mike Minium

Profile:
Dan,

I use Carlson's (lemon flavor) and think it's great:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00012NF5Y/qid=1146164523/sr=8-3/ref=pd_bbs_3/1 03-6585155-8869465?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=3760901

Mike