CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 10-04-2005, 03:22 PM   #1
Jeff Kolehmainen

Profile:
Question on hand position. When I do front squats and I try to use the traditional grip, my wrists cry foul and feel severe pain. So I adapted my grip in that I lay the bar across my chest (just below my collarbones) and then cross my arms and pin the bar down with my fingers. Is this the best way to do this? It seems to work well to help me maintain position in the squat as it really keeps my body straight, but it always leaves bruising on my upper arms...

Any ideas... thanks
Old 10-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Chris Forbis

Profile:
I would say keep working the flexibility in your wrists until you can do it properly.

It is a suitable substitute for now, but doing it the other way allows you to clean it.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:52 PM   #3
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Jeff, what are you calling a "traditional grip"?

The traditional grip that Olympic lifters use for the front squat is fingertips only. The hand is normally not closed, the weight of the bar is predominantly on the shoulders and not the hands.
http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/14603.jpg
Old 10-04-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
<dupe post, sorry>
Old 10-05-2005, 03:19 PM   #5
Jeff Kolehmainen

Profile:
That's the grip I am speaking of. Even a slight weight on my fingertips causes some pretty intense pain in the wrist area. Not exactly sure why. If I use my hands to manipulate my fingers into that position there is no pain, but do it with a bar in a front squat (or other similar lifts) and the pain is there. I am continuing to work on the lift, but what would be the best way to try to increase the wrist flexability? Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 05:46 PM   #6
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Hmmm... I wonder if handstands are going to pose the same problem for you.

I suggest the no-hands front squat until your wrist flexibility improves. Rack the bar on the shoulders and put your hands in front of you at eye level. Start light.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #7
Guest2

Profile:

Like said above, work on the flexibility. Coach Burgener seems to be OK with temporarily allowing dudes with super big arms to reverse their grip - same position, but hands supinated instead of pronated (palms facing back toward you and coming in over the top of the bar). But work on the flexibility. A lot. You can't catch a clean in either that position or the one you describe. And what fun is having a good front squat if the only way you can get the weight up there is from a rack, right?

Also check out: http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/22/14473.html
Old 10-06-2005, 07:47 PM   #8
Andy Shirley

Profile:
Hey, I use the hands supinated grip. Does that mean my arms qualify as "super big?"

Probably not. Just too many years of benchpressing heavy really tightened up my triceps/elbows/shoulders. Ive been working on the flexibility. I't coming along, slowly.

I have thought about doing a "power curl," a clean with supinated grip. Read a little about it on Dan John's website(I think). But in the end decided to just work on the flexibility.
Old 10-06-2005, 08:26 PM   #9
Kelley Brownlie

Profile:
A few exercises that help strech the underbelly of your forearm (your flexor muscles) are;

1) the seal (thanks Scott Hagnas, this has saved my forearms). Lay on your belly on the ground, push up with your arms, turn your arms so your fingers are facing you and "walk" like a seal across the room. When I first attempeted this I ended up on my face. I modified and knelt.

2) wheel barrow

3) head or hand stands

Stretchs;
1) palm flat on the ground and do circles and crazy eights.
2) Lay palms on a table with finger faceing you and then fingers facing aways from you. Lean until you feel a stretch.