CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #1
Sean Kane

Profile:
Ankle and Foot Injuries from 400m WOD

Hi there. After completing the 4 400m runs with 2 mins between WOD from the other day, I was beat but felt fine. Later that day at work I began to notice that my achilles tendon on my left foot was sore, swolen, and painful to walk on. I limped around for the rest of my shift and when I got home I wrapped it up and iced it as well as elevated it while I played some Madden. Today I wasn't feeling well so I skipped the WOD, but my left ankle was fine. Today I noticed that the tendon on the outside of my right ankle was swolen, sore, and painful to walk on almost as if I has sprained it or rolled my ankle. Also, I have bruises on the balls of my feet.

My question is what could cause these little injuries from such a simple task? I am wearing what I assume is quality footwear. Is this something that my body just isn't use to since I never really ran much before, or am I doing something wrong? Any other information that I could provide to help answer my questions I will be happy to provide.

Thanks for your time,
Sean
Old 03-22-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
Chad Skola

Profile:
Re: Ankle and Foot Injuries from 400m WOD

by quality foot wear what do you mean? How old are the shoes? estimated miles? model? brand? You may be wearing improper shoes for your kind of run. You should go to a running store have them watch you run or if you can set a camera up behind a tredmill and run at your normal pace and post it to the digital coaching let us take a look. I also may have gone to far with this and you may have just stepped wrong and it took a while for it to kick in. I did this once and almost could not walk for a week. I then stopped running at night. I did not remember doing anything during or right after the run either.

Hope that helps somewhat.
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:54 AM   #3
Sean Kane

Profile:

Thanks for the reply. I wear Brooks Beast running shoes because I have flat feet and a tendency to over-pronate. Shoes are probably a year old. As previously mentioned I am not much of a runner, but I wear them to work and probably walk 3-5 miles a day at work. The treadmill idea sounds good, I might give that a try.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:16 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

What kind of running technique do you use or do?

This makes more of a difference than orthotics most of the time...
Old 03-22-2008, 03:49 PM   #5
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:

Yes, if you have not been much of a runner, than a WOD like that could certainly do something like that to your body especially if you were on an unforgiving surface, are overweight, and/or have poor running technique.
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #6
Sean Kane

Profile:

Not sure what you mean by running technique, but I think I might have an idea. I am not much of a "heel-toe" runner, I tend to keep my weight on the balls of my feet.

The run was on an asphalt track at a local high school.

Don't really consider myself overweight, around 15% bodyfat (though I would LOVE to be sub 10%)
Old 03-23-2008, 05:29 AM   #7
Chad Skola

Profile:

Running shoes should be replaced at around the 300 mile mark. so if you are using them 25 miles a week you are looking at 3 months. This counts any moving in the shoe. So you add up how many times you walked back and forth at work, in your house, to and from the car, warming up prior to running, running, cooldown....etc. A year old is way over do. Since running shoes are pricy I only run in mine. I literally take them of when I finish and put them on when I am ready to start. This way I can total when I get to 300 miles or around 300 depending on how my knees fell. It has been earlier and I have gone to almost 600 without feeling any kind of effect. I run in the same shoe all of the time now. Once I found it I didn't change and am going on my 5th par and have not had any problems following the milage rule. I hope this helps.

Also make sure you are moving forward and not up. Does this make sense. If you don't run a lot you have the tendancy to want to bounce, kick of the toe and go up. change it to going forward. I am not good at explaining that and it may not even be a problem for you.

Let me know how the healing is going and what kind of changes you make.

Hope I helped
70in/150#Go to my website to make a donation to a young 13 year old. Your donation will help make living with Cerebral Palsy a little bit easier. His name is Dax and his story can be found from my site also.
Old 03-23-2008, 05:32 PM   #8
Sean Kane

Profile:

Left ankle is healed well, the right ankle is still a bit sore and swollen, causing me to pass on the clean and jerk from today. I have it wrapped up and will continue icing it tonight. Hopefully it will be healed enough for me to start back tomorrow.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:39 PM   #9
Chad Skola

Profile:

dont rush it and hurt it again though that would suck. hope it does heal well and fast though
Old 03-24-2008, 01:08 AM   #10
Elliot Fuller

Profile:

If you're not used to ball of foot running -- even if it's your usual technique -- then doing any considerable distance for time (e.g. sprinting) is going to put some hurt on you.

This is the kind of injury that a lot of people new to POSE or ball of foot running tend to experience -- either in the Achilles or in the calves.

The bruising on the ball of foot is probably indicative of either you moving too much vertically (as someone already mentioned), or you landing with the ball of foot too far in front of your center of mass, causing more of an impact than would be ideal.

If you're running ball-of-foot, then honestly I doubt your footwear matters all that much, as most footwear doesn't accommodate for that sort of impact anyways. Watch some POSE videos at www.posetech.com (w/f/s) and take a few pointers.

You don't have to be a perfect POSE runner in order to improve your form. Regardless of how you do it, i'd say that poor form ball-of-foot is better than poor form heel-strike.

I'm a TERRIBLE runner, but ever since moving to barefoot (and thus, ball of foot), the only times I've had problems were in my first few weeks, when getting used to the new muscles involved, and when I run on pavement or have to stop abruptly for some reason (causing major impact, and flaring up shin splints).

Yeah... anyways...