CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 03-20-2008, 02:29 PM   #1
Alain Latour

Profile:
Ganglion Cyst in my wrist

Hello everyone,

There was a thread a while ago about surgery for a ganglion cyst in the wrist, but hopefully I'm not there yet.

2 weeks ago I was doing power snatches when I felt a minor pain in my wrist. It was gone pretty soon, so I forgot all about it. Then I couldn't do CrossFit for 15 days because of the flu. When I did my first workout after those 2 weeks I discovered a big lump in my wrist. (At this point I should say I always had a very small cyst in my wrist but it never bothered me, except this time it was twice as big).

I pressed down on it and it went back to its usual size. It kept popping back up, though, for the next couple of days, and going back to normal size when I pressed down on it. Now it's the same size as before, not popping out anymore, but my wrist aches all the time. The doctor said I should take some anti inflammatory pills and wear a wrist brace for the next 10 days. He also recommended not to workout for a MONTH.

My questions, if anyone can help, are:

1. Should I really stop working out for a MONTH? Jesus. (I guess this is a stupid question).

2. Any advice as to what exercise I can do for that month?

3. Should I wear wristbands from now on when I do CrossFit? I was doing pullups the day the cyst popped out.

Thanks for reading this.

Best,

Alain
Old 03-20-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
Re: Ganglion Cyst in my wrist

I had a ganglion cyst a couple of years ago, first they drained it, then it came back, then I popped it and it has never come back.
Old 03-20-2008, 03:35 PM   #3
Camille Lore

Profile:  

I hope someone comes up with a solution for you. I had one that they couldn't drain years ago. It hurt to wash my hair and open a door. However, the recovery from the surgery for me made me swear I would never get that done again!
Old 03-21-2008, 03:44 AM   #4
Victor Putz

Profile:

Hm; must all be placement. I've had a ganglion cyst in my left wrist that's been there for about 20 years, although it's burst twice. I work out with it every day; no pain. Just luck on where it is, I guess.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:37 AM   #5
Alain Latour

Profile:

Thanks, guys.

I also had mine for a long time and it never bothered me--at least not until that day when I was doing snatches.

So, what exercise what can I do for a month? Walk, run? That's it? Damn it...

Also, does anyone regularly wear wrist wraps during workouts? A Google image search of Olympic weightlifters showed that most do wear them, as do many gymnasts.