CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
PG

Profile:  
Will Crossfit get left out when licensure hits the fitness industry?

Licensing will happen sooner rather than later to the fitness industry. Crossfits extreme fitness practices is already deemed "high risk" by the fitness and medical industry. Will it be time for crossfit to break from the industry to protect crossfit gyms? What are your thoughts?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:16 AM   #2
Dave Traeger

Profile:
Re: Will Crossfit get left out when licensure hits the fitness industry?

If they were deemed high risk by anyone who has a clue, then they wouldn't be able to get insurance packages.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:38 AM   #3
PG

Profile:  

Crossfit is self insured.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #4
Dave Traeger

Profile:

The 3000 affiliates are not
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
PG

Profile:  

A United States Navy sailor, who had suffered injuries while performing a CrossFit workout on Dec 11, 2005, at Manassas World Gym in Manassas, VA under the supervision of an uncertified trainer, claimed that CrossFit poses an elevated risk of rhabdomyolysis. He successfully sued his trainers and was awarded $300,000 in damages. According to Dr. Stuart McGill, a professor of spine biomechanics at the University of Waterloo, the risk of injury from some CrossFit exercises outweighs their benefits when they are performed with poor form in timed workouts. He added there are similar risks in other exercise programs but noted that CrossFit's online community enables athletes to follow the program without proper guidance, increasing the risk. Because of the perceived risks of Crossfit, it has been difficult for many trainers and affiliates to get insurance. As a result, Crossfit has established a risk retention group (RRG). An RRG is a form of self-insurance that is common among professionals that engage in high risk activities, such as law enforcement officers, emergency medical workers, and contractors.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:09 AM   #6
Dave Traeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Traeger View Post
The 3000 affiliates are not
This. ^
Old 10-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #7
PG

Profile:  

It still shows the point that crossfit has been deemed by the medical community as "high risk". Dr. McGill is the leading expert on back injuries. For every 1000 hours of olympic style lifting, there are an avg of 3 injuries. That equates to about 34-30 min sessions. That's 3 injuries too many. I mean come on. Just read the crossfit injury board. There are over 4,000 threads on crossfit injuries!

I think to protect crossfit, there should separation crossfit from the fitness industry or legislators will have a hayday shutting crossfit facilities down for unsafe practices. When the industry gets licensed, there is far more liability on the professional and facility. I assure you the 3000 wont be insured any longer by that point. I think we need this adult conversation to address these issues and protect crossfit.

We maybe should just go all out and just call it the most badass sport around! That would separate pretty well from the fitness industry and there is already the crossfit games to prove it!
Old 10-22-2011, 08:33 AM   #8
Dave Traeger

Profile:

I've been crossfitting for 6 months and in that time been "injured" twice. I'd still rather be where I am now than back playing computer games til all hours of the night.

There's a risk vs reward profile for everything in life. In crossfit it's a very favorable profile if you trust your coach and not your ego.

All the affiliates have sought insurance for their businesses, including liability claims. Given that crossfit is still in it's infancy, the underwriters of these policies would not have gone ahead with providing policies had they considered the risk vs reward profile to be different than you seem to assume.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:41 AM   #9
PG

Profile:  

Sure the underwriters have done so but like i said being licensed changes the game. Licensure=liability. Currently, the industry is unregulated and that is why they can write these insurance policies. You admit then that it is high risk. We cant ignore that fact. We just need ways to continue crossfit while protecting consumers. ACL and other injuries cost our system 10's of thousands of dollars. You can still become a badass without going crazy with your workouts. We cant let crossfit go away either. There are too many passionate people doing it. I'm just here to help give these issues some light. I think every crossfit gym owner should consider thinking this through for a solution.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:44 AM   #10
Dave Traeger

Profile:

No, it's not high risk.

Every cf gym owner should be a good coach - not program silly metcons and have no tolerance for subpar form, then no injuries will occur. Usually the ones that aren't don't stay in business long anyway.

Anyway, it's sleep time in Australia. I'm sure you'll have more trolling for me in the morning.