CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 10-20-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
Kelly Alford

Profile:
Muscle imbalance- weak pos. chain rt side-how to correct this CF style?

For the past 5 years I have struggled with SI pain - only on the left side. It comes and goes- and sometimes is so bad that I can't even pick up my 30lb 2 year old without wincing.

I've been to a PT/Chiro who finally pinpointed the trouble as a fairly significant imbalance of strength. He has me doing air squats with a teal theraband loop around my calves as well as single leg squats. (this is where we discovered my major imbalance in that I could barely get a couple degrees in to a squat without wobbling and putting my left foot down, let alone get into any kind of real squat.)

After finding this out, (2weeks ago) I've been trying to be really concious of what I am doing and focusing on using my RIGHT side when doing things like overhead squats, deadlifts, whatever. I still am getting the "glued" gluteus medius on the Left side causing that @#$% SI pain. Thanks to K* I now know how to work the gluteus medius mess out with a tennis ball... but I REALLY want to be BALANCED and not have this stupid pain! PT is threatening an SI belt if I don't get sorted out soon. Isn't the point of CF to "get better t life?" not get stuck with a support belt? :P

Any ideas on how to work on my right side while maintaining my CF work?
Old 10-22-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Scott Tredennick

Profile:
Re: Muscle imbalance- weak pos. chain rt side-how to correct this CF style?

Not sure if this falls into "crossfit style " but some single leg glute bridge work could be beneficial. Never heard of anyone trying single leg barbell hip thrusts but that could be helpful also. Either way those both get that glute firing and you can do the right leg as much as needed.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:30 AM   #3
Helen M Brennan

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Tredennick View Post
Not sure if this falls into "crossfit style " but some single leg glute bridge work could be beneficial. Never heard of anyone trying single leg barbell hip thrusts but that could be helpful also. Either way those both get that glute firing and you can do the right leg as much as needed.
i am currently doing

3 sets of 8 single leg bridges 3 times a week to correct similar imbalance. I think it is working as i am having much less difficulty squatting with heavier weight ( heavy for me that is ) my form has improved a great deal according to the trainers

H
Old 10-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Matthew Sorenson

Profile:

Mobilitywod.com and hot yoga lol no joke helped me with balance core strength big time and injuries i also improved on a lot of lifts and wod's give it a shot if you cant do the entire yoga class then you need it after you can hold all the poses cut back i go twice a week.. helped my crossfit big time i was really strong just had a few chinks in my armor and mobilitywod and yoga filled them
Old 10-25-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
Ben Moskowitz

Profile:

Mobility is important to reclaim the range of motion, but that ROM will be weak. In come the corrective exercises. I would
1) mobilize the area
2) do activation exercises
3) do strengthening exercises

In that order.

Activation exercises will prime the inhibited muscles to fire and help you make the mind-muscle connection so that you use them more effectively during the corrective exercises.

Examples of each:
Mobilizations - lax ball like you said, hip flexion + external rotation stretch, hip capsule mobilization... basically go to mobilitywod.com
Activation exercises - clam, lateral band walk, fire hydrant, glute bridge, side-lying hip abduction.
Corrective exercises - step downs from a low box, step ups to a low box, single leg good morning, single leg romanian deadlift, reverse lunge, lunge... eventually squats and deadlifts will be corrective and not feeding bad patterns.

I have been working through a severe glute medius strength imbalance and I have found that step ups to a low box (8"-12" or so) with a 3-1-1-1 tempo are highly effective. I do 3 x 12 with 60 seconds of rest in between. At first bodyweight was sufficient but I have been adding resistance with dumbbells steadily. Properly strengthening the muscle wouldn't have been possible without being able to get in the right position first though - cleaning up any flexibility imbalances is just as important. Don't worry about any loss of power output due to stretching, the reason you have such a strength imbalance could be because of this inflexibility! The activation exercises will also reprime the muscles to fire anway.
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Kelly Alford

Profile:

THANKYOU for all of this. I really appreciate it. I took a (regular) yoga class this morning and WOW it showed me ALOT of weak point and ALOT of "sticky" inflexible spots and ALOT of balance issues!

Ben, I am going to look into all of the exercises you mentioned - I don't know what some of them are. Thank you for all of your great information, I appreciate it. I have been going up and down stairs leading with my weak (right) leg, and basically doing step-ups yesterday and today. I will continue that, seems like a right course, that and mobility and looking in to these activation exercises for sure. Homework time!