CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 02-09-2008, 03:03 PM   #1
Patrick Poblocki

Profile:
Training Around an Injury

Hi all. I too am going to jump on the shoulder injury bandwagon. I was kayaking Wed and started to feel an ache in my right shoulder. It hasn't gone away and I'm going to rest it until it does. I don't want to eliminate my training, so I'm trying to construct a solid "modified" program that will give my upper body a break for a while. For instance, I modified Friday's WOD to:
75 walking lunges
75 box jumps
75 sit ups
75 double unders
75 back extensions
Today I did the 3k run. Tomorrow, I was thinking about squatting. Is this too much lower body? I don't want to lose my gains from the past few months. I haven't missed a workout in about 3 months! Any suggestions as to how to successfully train without really using my upper body? So, needless to say I'm pretty bummed with this injury. Instead of asking what it may be, I'm going to the doctor's if it doesn't get better in about a week. But, what's the general rule of thumb before returning to lift...How long should I wait? What's the proper ramp up for getting back to where I was?

Thanks!

Pobs
Old 02-09-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
Lenora Galitz-Pfeffer

Profile:
Re: Training Around an Injury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Poblocki View Post
Hi all. I too am going to jump on the shoulder injury bandwagon. I was kayaking Wed and started to feel an ache in my right shoulder. It hasn't gone away and I'm going to rest it until it does. I don't want to eliminate my training, so I'm trying to construct a solid "modified" program that will give my upper body a break for a while. For instance, I modified Friday's WOD to:
75 walking lunges
75 box jumps
75 sit ups
75 double unders
75 back extensions
Today I did the 3k run. Tomorrow, I was thinking about squatting. Is this too much lower body? I don't want to lose my gains from the past few months. I haven't missed a workout in about 3 months! Any suggestions as to how to successfully train without really using my upper body? So, needless to say I'm pretty bummed with this injury. Instead of asking what it may be, I'm going to the doctor's if it doesn't get better in about a week. But, what's the general rule of thumb before returning to lift...How long should I wait? What's the proper ramp up for getting back to where I was?

Thanks!

Pobs
I had to do this kind of program last week, and may be doing it again Monday. You might want to keep doing the bw squats in the warm-up. I didn't do barbell squats the same day as lunges and box jumps. It depends on how much work your knees want to sign up for. There are other very hard leg exercizes(I'm not there yet)like pistols. That would be on a different day than lunges also. You still need to recover from the low body work. I'm looking forward to reading what the experts say. Good luck on your shoulder healing.