CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:33 PM   #1
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:
CFGames/Top5 USAW WL popped for PED's

http://www.usada.org/us-weightliftin...ule-violation/ WFS

Will be interesting to see if she gets banned or penalized from CF.

She does say in this article that she has been to the games 3x though I could only find that she did well at Regionals last year finishing in 10th place and placing 12th in the Open in her Region. I could not find her in the harder to find 2010 and 2011 results either.

http://www.wfitnutrition.com/pages/w...e-nikki-carlin wfs
Old 11-16-2014, 08:28 PM   #2
Jeff Treistman

Profile:
Re: CFGames/Top5 USAW WL popped for PED's

It seems like her credibility, integrity, and honesty is now wholly in doubt. There have been a lot of folks asking about the validity of her claim that she competed in the Games (either as an individual or team member). No one has yet furnished any evidence that she has competed in the Games.

Tangentially, it also makes me wonder whether Wfit even bothered to do any fact checking of their athletes?
Old 11-18-2014, 05:04 AM   #3
Sean Dunston

Profile:

for integrity of the sport's purposes, I would think so.
if she wants to compete in Games season 2015, I could see HQ very reasonably asking her to disclose the USAW/IWF results to them.
IIRC, CrossFit Games testing is a direct copy off the USADA/WADA Banned Substances list. if the substances were banned by them, they are likely also banned in CF.
I do not recall the penalty for a first offense (in CF) off the top of my head - thought it was a 1 year ban. so, I'd guess a ban for 2015 would be reasonable.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:03 AM   #4
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Anthony Roberts was talking about how CFHQ does not need to publicly disclose any results of their own testing. Testing samples become their own property.
Old 11-18-2014, 07:10 AM   #5
Sean Dunston

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Anthony Roberts was talking about how CFHQ does not need to publicly disclose any results of their own testing. Testing samples become their own property.
while the statement is true, I believe it is also true of any organization that does testing - that the sample becomes the property of the authority doing the testing. the athlete who tests positive then (usually) has the opportunity to run a test at his/her own expense of the B sample that was collected at the same time as the A sample. at least, that's the way we do it in USAPL/IPF - and we use the same USADA/WADA banned substance list for testing purposes.

as to whether they may/must disclose anything publicly - all I can say is "rules are rules".

however, from a best practices standpoint, I'd say it would behoove HQ to to disclose positive test results. they have done it in the past - on the Games site - when positive tests popped up (from Regional testing, if I recall correctly). I can't imagine HQ changing this established policy, rather, I'd expect them to be more open about as the Sport of CrossFit continues to grow and Affiliates flourish.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:25 AM   #6
Russell Greene

Profile:

Nikki Carlin has never competed in the CrossFit Games, neither individually nor on a team. She finished 10th and was not drug tested at Regionals this year. Only the podium finishers and a few others were tested at Regionals.
Old 11-24-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yes, Russ. Turns out that was another athlete that had been sponsored by WFit which took down the page though it's probably still cached. Ben Stoneberg.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:36 PM   #8
Scott Simmonds

Profile:

I'm not a CF competitor but do compete nationally in pistol shooting. (I use CF as my strength and conditioning training for my shooting.)

All the Olympic governing bodies (USA Weightlifting, USA Shooting...) are open and upfront about what is allowed and not.

When I see a doctor I tell them I'm an aspiring Olympic athlete and that the chances of drug testing are about 100%. I refer him to the US Anti-Doping website and info (http://www.usada.org/ WFS). Nothing goes into me without reviewing the implications on a drug test.

A positive drug test is also a positive indicator that you are too stupid to compete.
Old 12-02-2014, 03:00 PM   #9
Christopher Morris

Profile:

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, Russ. Turns out that was another athlete that had been sponsored by WFit which took down the page though it's probably still cached. Ben Stoneberg.
Blair,
I'm piecing together your information. You say Nikki claimed to have competed at the CrossFit games. The WFit website says the wrong biography was linked to her name. Ben Stoneberg is also a WFit sponsored who has been to the Games.

So Ben's profile was linked to Nikki briefly, but this is now corrected? She never really claimed to compete at the Games? It was just a mix up of information. Is that right?
Old 12-04-2014, 12:48 AM   #10
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Yeah, it seems it was all a mixup of biographical data. Just took some sleuthing on many people's part to figure it all out.