CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-01-2007, 03:17 PM   #1
Peter Borden

Profile:
I've been warming up lately by doing 100 53# 1-arm KB swings. It was a weak point I wanted to bring up to par.

However, I was begining to get a bit of nagging shoulder pain before my last schelduled rest. Would this be due to imbalance btw front and rear delts caused by the swings, or what? Any ideas?
Old 01-01-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
Andy Shirley

Profile:
It could be anything.

Overhead swings or head-height?

How's your form? Are you pulling with your shoulder or exploding with your hips? Does the KB droop(trail your hand on the way up)?

Be more descriptive about the location of the pain. what makes it better? worse? describe the pain. aching? burning? sharp? dull? does it radiate anywhere else? any tenderness to palpation?

This post also probably belong in injuries/medical.

Answer those questions and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to answer your question.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:23 PM   #3
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
If you are using your delts to power your swings, you are doing them wrong. The power should come from your leg and hip drive. Your arms just hang on. Swings done correctly shouldn't hurt your sholders, but they may reveal some pain from another exercise or poor technique.

Do you shrug a bit at the top? Do you keep the handle flat or tilt it a bit? Do you get the pain while doing two hand swings?

You would need to post a video of your swing technique.
Old 01-01-2007, 06:50 PM   #4
Peter Borden

Profile:
I'll try to find a way to post a photo, but until then...

My swings generally go almost overhead. KB doesn't trail the hands. I drive with the hips as much as possible. There is probably some slight shoulder involvement, but nothing substantial. If there's one weak point to my form, its that I might bend over too much at the bottom (I'm 6'4", so its hard to tell).

My shoulders don't hurt while swinging. We're talking afterwards. Not immediately afterwards, either...more like hours.

The pain is more of a radiating pain, from what I can remember of it. Not isolated in the front or the rear, but more in the center, and not in a specific place. Sometimes it travels down my arm a bit. Not debilitating, but annoying, and not a good pain. More burning than aching, no tenderness or palpation. Aggravated by things like lifting boxes, stocking shelves.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:06 AM   #5
Leon Robotham

Profile:
From the sounds of it Peter its to do with the power of your drive from the hips, your 6,4 and swinging the 53lber single handed above head height. Without a considerable amount of power in the hip drive you will be activating your shoulders to complete the reps which after 100 reps is going to cause considerable damage to the shoulder. If you are unable to swing the bell over head without using the shoulders you should use a smaller bell and practice your acceleration, when you have this down begin to add reps with the heavier bell until you are able to perform as rxd.
Old 01-02-2007, 11:14 AM   #6
Tom Corrigan

Profile:
Try swinging to chest heigth for a few weeks and see if that helps. Also, do two handed swing only.

Being tall shouldn't affect your swings. As long as you fold at the hips and keep your feet flat as the bell goes behind your thighs and you maintain a flat/slightly arched low back and your arms stay straight, your form is fine. Don't scoop the hip drive, it should be quick and crisp.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:07 PM   #7
Catherine Imes

Profile:
One other tip (and I apologize if it has already been stated)...

Do not let your shoulder/arm drift away from your body. What does this mean? Imagine if you are lying down, I pull your arm to lift you, but I cannot because you haven't activated your lat(armpit muscle) and therefore, your arm isn't "connected" to your body.

Then I tell you to tighten/activate your lat to retract your shoulder, this enables me to lift you because it connects your arm to your body.

Do not let your arm become disconnected from your body on your swings. If this happens, I could definitely see where your shoulder would get impinged or irritated.

CI
Old 01-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #8
Martin Schap

Profile:
Peter
In addition to the above, have you considered decreasing the volume a bit? You could be doing everything "right" and still just find that this amount of work in addition to your WO is not sustainable. Whether this is 100 swings on each arm or 100 total, it's still no small amount of work, and if I was you I might consider scaling it back a bit until the pain subsides.

Also, are the swings the only thing you do to warm up? If so you could try doing some pull-ups, halos, Burgener WU, dive-bomber push-ups or other shoulder mobility moves before jumping into a dynamic exercise like the swings. Hope something works for you. Being injured is no fun.
Old 01-02-2007, 04:07 PM   #9
David Wood

Profile:

Let me pile on here:

Rest it!

Seriously, 100 swings is a lot of work, and the symptoms you describe are *exactly* what I ignored for 4 months (well, first ignored, then "toughed it out") before I lost 7 freakin' months to shoulder tendinitis. Injured it Feb 06, ignored / worked through it until late May. Then spent June - December unable to do *anything* that required to hold the arm overhead (e.g., no thrusters, no chinups) or extend the arm under load (no pushups, presses, burpees).

Basically, I'm only now s-l-o-w-l-y getting it back. You don't want to go through this. I've done so much one-arm work (with the other arm) I now rotate when I brush my teeth (just kidding).

Dull ache, deep inside, shows up later in the evening? Yeah, sounds familiar . . .

If this has been slowly getting worse rather than better (i.e., you're noticing it more and more, or earlier in the evening), then stop!

Rest it now, for a week or even two. Much better than being out for a month, or two, or seven.

The good news is, hey, you live in Far Hills! I work in Bridgewater, train at the Somerville YMCA. Send me a PM, we can try to connect.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:54 AM   #10
Peter Borden

Profile:
All good advice, thanks guys. I just recently had a week off of schelduled rest, and it did wonders for the shoulder.

I think there have been some form issues, from reading the posts, but more than anything its probably been my body adjusting to the work load. I don't find doing the swings taxing (hence the WU) but there was a time not too long ago when they weren't part of my routine, so I just have to take it easy and let my body adjust to the volume.