CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-02-2008, 05:13 PM   #1
Leslie Powell

Profile:
How long between reps on deadlift

What's considered an allowable time between reps when doing a fairly heavy (3-5) set of deadlifts? As best I know, you're supposed to deload between reps. Is five seconds for resetting pushing it too much?

(I know that it's my deadlift and I can do anything I want, but I'm thinking in terms of getting an accurate 3-5RM number to base other things off of. A whispy lower back makes me hesitant to do a 1RM.)
Old 08-02-2008, 06:53 PM   #2
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Re: How long between reps on deadlift

5 seconds is fine. If you're doing your sets the same way each time then it doesn't really matter one way or the other as long as you keep moving forward.
Old 08-02-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

I like at least 3 minutes. Some of this time is just adding weight if weight needs to be added. If not, I'll do something else in the meantime like play on rings or in a handstand or parallette work. Something easy to get on and off of.

I could see it easily being 5, but it also depends how much time you have alotted.
Old 08-02-2008, 07:07 PM   #4
David Bott

Profile:

Really, you're supposed to deload? I just touch the floor and go again, I don't let go of the bar unless i need to fix my grip or something.
Old 08-02-2008, 09:10 PM   #5
Shane Stoneman

Profile:

however long you end up resting between reps, make note of it in your logs so you can make a more accurate comparison of your progress.

Last edited by Shane Stoneman; 08-02-2008 at 09:22 PM.. Reason: miss-read the original post
Old 08-03-2008, 12:05 AM   #6
Gavin Harrison

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I like at least 3 minutes.
It takes you 15+ minutes to complete a set of 5 DLs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Bott
Really, you're supposed to deload? I just touch the floor and go again, I don't let go of the bar unless i need to fix my grip or something.
Yes, it's called a deadlift for a reason, touch and go is fine for metcon, though.
Old 08-03-2008, 03:53 AM   #7
Mike Prevost

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
I like at least 3 minutes. Some of this time is just adding weight if weight needs to be added. If not, I'll do something else in the meantime like play on rings or in a handstand or parallette work. Something easy to get on and off of.

I could see it easily being 5, but it also depends how much time you have alotted.
Blair

She asked about rest between REPS not SETS

Mike
Old 08-03-2008, 06:01 AM   #8
Wade Smith

Profile:

Not sure how you guys "touch and go" deadlift with a valsava breathing technique.

I personally need to breathe & hold, perform rep, quick re-breathe & hold, perform next rep, etc. With heavier weights in deadlifting, you almost have to deload/rebreathe for a second or so between reps.
Old 08-03-2008, 06:08 AM   #9
Dennis Marshall

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Smith View Post
Not sure how you guys "touch and go" deadlift with a valsava breathing technique.

I personally need to breathe & hold, perform rep, quick re-breathe & hold, perform next rep, etc. With heavier weights in deadlifting, you almost have to deload/rebreathe for a second or so between reps.
Agree 100%.

I think everyone is a bit different in terms of how long they will take between reps but again, as long as you are consistent, find what works for you and stick to it.

Personally, I set the bar down, create some tension on the bar, reset my posture, big inhale/hold breath and pull. All in all, probably 2-3 seconds b/w reps.
Old 08-03-2008, 10:11 AM   #10
Brian Degenaro

Profile:

I like to reset myself between reps as well. I feel that it's the best and only way to perform repetition deadlifts safely. I know that whenever I do touch and go or see others do touch and go form deteriorates past reps 2 and 3, with sufficient loading. Either they stiff leg it or their backs round. When they come to lifting heavy loads their form deteriortes as well or they have trouble budging weights that are slightly heavier than what they can rep out. Lower the weight down, breathe, get in your set position, and hoist! I have this opinion about touch and go olympic lifts as well. You better get damn good quality reps each time or else you screw up your motor patterns.