CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 12-22-2005, 11:07 AM   #1
Dan Richter

Profile:  
OK, I am thinking of giving CF an honest shot. Like a lot of the people on the site, I am military (I have a few friends that do CF), but my main sport in bicycling. That said, I'd like to shed some winter weight, maintain strength, and increase my base endurance. It is still out of season training for me, so I can put a good ten weeks into a non-cycling program. Regular scheduled PT should not effect the program too much, or the 3-4 bike trainer sessions I am doing to keep my spin.

Comments?
Dan
Old 12-22-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
Welcome Dan. As a military guy and endurance type (mid-distance running), I think you'll be impressed with the degree of carryover from crossfit to the military and endurance sports. The WOD, with perhaps some supplementary endurance work at a slow, fat burning pace, seems to work very well for endurance activities. Check out the articles at http://www.gymjones.com/knowledge.php. Mark Twight is a world class alpinist and endurance racer who has had alot of success with a crossfit-based training regime. There's alot of good info in his articles. Also check out Eugene Allen's site at http://www.crossfitpc.blogspot.com/. Gene's a SWAT officer and triathlete (and all-round hard individual), and can talk more specifically to bicycling. Hope this helps, Chris

(Message edited by ChrisG on December 22, 2005)
Old 12-22-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Dan Richter

Profile:  
Cheers Chris,

I am just back from the gym. I sandwiched the WOD (the video demo was inspiring, so I had to run off and give it a go) between some light work on the spin bike. I was just able to keep the puke down during the cool down on the bike!

I will check out those other web-sites
Thanks
Dan
Old 12-22-2005, 03:43 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Dan - Do you do Spinervals? Troy Jacobson's Spinervals is CrossFit applied to cycling on a trainer. I'm no cyclist but I do pretend to be when I do triathlon races. Like Chris (an army captain going to SF selection soon) I am a self admitted endurance athlete (we slow twitchers are a Minority within the CF community) so I too use CF to better my tri pursuits.

My comment is that you are going to love what CrossFit workouts do for you. Navigate around on th CF site and check out foundational information and read the certification seminar notes at the bottom of Lynne Pitts' FAQ page. Do the WODs, check out the Friends of CrossFit links and keep reading and posting on this board. The support and assistance you will find here is without peer.

Work your way up to being able to hammer the WODs and post good times and you will have a great 2006 cycling season. Welcome aboard, you will love it here.
Old 12-22-2005, 05:51 PM   #5
Carl Herzog

Profile:
Dan,

One thing you might consider is mixing intervals on the indoor trainer into your Crossfit workouts. When the WOD calls for 400 or 800 m runs, for example, try subbing an equivalent time on the trainer at a high resistance level.

Crossfit has only helped my cycling.
Old 12-23-2005, 11:56 AM   #6
Dan Richter

Profile:  
Thanks guys.

I love Troy Jacobson's Spinervals, they keep me spinning in the cold white months. I've checked out a lot of the CF site, and after yesterday's WOD, I plan on bringing these into my regime. I like the idea of substituting the runs for the bike. I've done circuit training with bike intervals, so I can see that as a great workout. I just need to remember not to ignore running all together.

thanks
Dan
Old 12-24-2005, 09:11 AM   #7
Sean Harrison

Profile:
Hey Dan, it's me Nards!
I read somehwere that short very intense intervals (like the Tabata protocol of 20 secs or work with 10 secs rest repeated 8-10 times) has led to an increase in endurance. I think the test group did it spliced in with normal long distance work.
That's all I know about that.
Merry Christmas!
Old 12-24-2005, 09:59 PM   #8
winston endall

Profile:  
I run a bike shop and use a cycling centric crossfit approach on our website to give customers an option in the offseason that actually works. Most running is replaced with the bike ( on or off the trainer) and the workouts of the day tend to be ones that take a little longer and don't use a ton of equipment so people can do them at home. Running in the snow pulling a weighted sled has been used a lot lately as well.

We have our own training room in the back of our shop and a group of us follow more prescribed crossfit workouts as we have the gear for them. Wallball, box jump and ball slams for time are a great way to train the whole body for cycling. Your jump out of the saddle becomes explosive. Just watch out for the broken chains.

The key is lots of variety, done hard. As I describe it to people if you get burning muscles from moving your body or weight through complex movements and get a big huff and puff going on a regular basis, you will elicit radical change in performance and body composition.

Old 01-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #9
Dan Richter

Profile:  
Thanks to all!

Now that I am back home after Xmas and New Year, I am cracking on.

Nards, good to hear from you. I hope you had a great holiday season, email me at home.

Dan