CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-10-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
Jim O'Brien

Profile:
Liver

I have been reading a lot lately about the paleo diet. I found a paleolithic cookbook and there is a section on organ meats with several recipes for various kinds of liver. I was wondering if there are any nutritional differences between beef, pork, chicken, etc. Is there any benefit to eating one kind of liver over another?
Old 10-10-2013, 02:35 PM   #2
Dare Vodusek

Profile:
Re: Liver

Beef liver: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/3468/2
Pork liver: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...roducts/2195/2
Chicken liver: http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/...products/666/2

All links WFS

I would only eat grass fed beef liver, for the obvious reasons. And yea, liver is one of the "superfoods", contains so much of nutritions and very tasty.

Aslo check beef bone marrow.
Old 10-10-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

i love all liver. fresh venison liver over a camp fire is hard to beat. duck liver is also a top notch taste treat. if you want to go with store bought animal livers, head a an actual butcher shop and they can hook you up on the cheap.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:32 PM   #4
David Patton

Profile:

My FAVORITE treat is deer liver and heart with salt/pepper/evoo over a camp fire after a day of hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-10-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
Jim O'Brien

Profile:

Thanks for the replies. We have an awesome butcher shop in town and the prices are better than any of the chain grocery stores.

To expand on my question...I know some people shy away from pork for various reasons. Some religious and some say that since pigs eat slop their meat isn't as good as other animals. So is there any reason NOT to eat any specific liver? If I had the choice of beef, pork or chicken, should I always choose one over the other or is there any particular kind I should stay away from?

As you can see, I haven't eaten much liver but from what I have read the benefits of liver can't be denied.

Dare,
The cookbook I mentioned has a bone marrow recipe as well so it's on my list.
Old 10-10-2013, 11:53 PM   #6
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

Actually because pigs eat slop their body is very well adapted to it for millions of years so their body "should" filter out all the bad stuff.
I actually like taste of pork, much more than beef for example.

If the animal is eating natural food, so no steroids, hormones, etc... there is no drawback of eating it. So find a nice butcher and you are safe.

Btw, if you will not like the taste of liver, some dont, try with live pate and put it on your bread instead of peanut butter
Old 10-11-2013, 05:52 AM   #7
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim O'Brien View Post
I have been reading a lot lately about the paleo diet. I found a paleolithic cookbook and there is a section on organ meats with several recipes for various kinds of liver. I was wondering if there are any nutritional differences between beef, pork, chicken, etc. Is there any benefit to eating one kind of liver over another?
There are no "superfoods", that's just marketing BS. So don't worry too much about which is best, just remember that a good diet is a varied diet, and try to eat as wide a variety of wholefoods as possible.

Quote:
As you can see, I haven't eaten much liver but from what I have read the benefits of liver can't be denied.
The claim that liver and organ meats generally are "superfoods" and were a staple of hunter-gatherer diets made by some Paleo 'gurus' is just another paleo fantasy. Yes, they did eat organ meats but large kills didn't happen every day and meat was typically shared between the group. So few would have had the opportunity to eat large amounts of organ meats as part of their normal daily diet.

As for the health benefits (or otherwise) of liver; yes it's a good source of some nutrients but you can have too much of a good thing with vitamin A being a prime example. A single 100g serving of beef liver for example would provide 16899 IU which is more than the tolerable upper limit for adult males. So while liver isn't harmful per se, it's best not to eat too much too often otherwise you run the risk of developing hypervitaminosis A.

Office of Dietary Supplements Fact Sheet: Vitamin A. (wfs)

Last edited by Darryl Shaw; 10-11-2013 at 05:59 AM..
Old 10-11-2013, 06:24 AM   #8
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Is there a way to make liver not taste like liver? lol I'd maybe try it if so.

On the topic of superfoods, yeah, I agree that the term superfood is certainly thrown around way too much and I don't believe that there are actual SUPER foods, but at the same time, I just kinda use the term as an adjective to describe something that is in fact very nutritious. Prime example is something like kale. I think we can all agree that kale is very nutrient dense so in a way, it is a superfood or at least can be rightfully described as one to emphasize that it is very good for you.