CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #1
Matt B Johnson

Profile:
If you had to pick 1 kettlebell

I'm looking at getting a kettle bell to take with me on my travels so I can do some work with a little bit of weight even on the road. If you had to pick one size for swings and squats and stuff what would you suggest? I was thinking about a 50lb one. I'm a male by the way. Thanks!
Old 12-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #2
Tim Trujillo

Profile:
Re: If you had to pick 1 kettlebell

Sure..
Old 12-08-2012, 11:14 AM   #3
Steve Jaeger

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt B Johnson View Post
I'm looking at getting a kettle bell to take with me on my travels so I can do some work with a little bit of weight even on the road. If you had to pick one size for swings and squats and stuff what would you suggest? I was thinking about a 50lb one. I'm a male by the way. Thanks!
55lb (or 1.5 Pood), that way you've got RX'd weight. 2 Handed Swings, 1 Handed Swings, Squats, OHS, Cleans, Press, Push Press, Thruster, TGUs, Lunges, SDLHP...lots of fun to be had.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:38 AM   #4
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jaeger View Post
55lb (or 1.5 Pood), that way you've got RX'd weight. 2 Handed Swings, 1 Handed Swings, Squats, OHS, Cleans, Press, Push Press, Thruster, TGUs, Lunges, SDLHP...lots of fun to be had.
I second this, 1.5 is heavy enough to challenge you, but not so heavy that it limits you from doing a Variety of exercises.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:00 AM   #5
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Depends on your size, experience and strength I guess.

Personally if I had to pick ONE KB and that and my body weight were the only things I would have access to for training I would probably choose something heavier. That way I could use it for strength training and not just high rep conditioning.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Michelle Stafford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Depends on your size, experience and strength I guess.

Personally if I had to pick ONE KB and that and my body weight were the only things I would have access to for training I would probably choose something heavier. That way I could use it for strength training and not just high rep conditioning.
That's a good point too.
Old 12-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #7
Matt B Johnson

Profile:

What do you guys think about brand names and how important are they with kettlebells? I would order ader from a site light rogue, but generally it costs about 20-30 dollars just to ship it. Amazon has some Power Systems kettlebells for roughly the same amount, but with free shipping. I also would have to get the 55lb one instead of the 24kg.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
Matt Thomas

Profile:

Brand can be really important. Not that you can't get some good ones for a decent price, but some bells are just bad.

Cap bells kinda suck because they have this coating that chips off REALLY easily.

Other cheap bells (like ones you can get at sports authority) are kinda crappy because the handles get super super thick the heavier they get because of the cheap construction. It's also bad if they're solid cast and they happen to have a giant seem somewhere on the handle.

Try www.fringesport.com (wfs) The Troy bells they sell are pretty decent, nice handles, and they're pretty reasonably priced. They sell them for a little higher price then you'd find other places, but they ship for free. I think it works out to be a good deal.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #9
Dave Hancock

Profile:

I assume your are not flying with it. Just realize that if driving with a kettlebell (or any heavy weight), if you have to stop quickly, it will basically be a cannonball. You better have it in a safe place (ie. not inside the passenger compartment of your vehicle.)
Old 12-10-2012, 02:34 PM   #10
Greg Light

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hancock View Post
I assume your are not flying with it. Just realize that if driving with a kettlebell (or any heavy weight), if you have to stop quickly, it will basically be a cannonball. You better have it in a safe place (ie. not inside the passenger compartment of your vehicle.)
Any tips on where to put one inside of an SUV?