CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 03-05-2012, 08:45 PM   #1
Dylan Serbin

Profile:
Rogue s-2 question

Hey everybody. Im going to be buying my squat rack pretty soon. Because of my ceiling height i am sort of leaning towards the s-2 squat stand.

Now my question for you all is will i be able to kip on the squat stand? I am a shorter fellow, just shy of 5'8". should i get the fat/skinny bar or will it be stable enough with just the single skinny bar?
Old 03-05-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
Cody Lewis

Profile:
Re: Rogue s-2 question

I would say that it wouldn't make a huge difference. Bolting the platform down provides the most stability from what I have seen from different post on the forums.

Just get a single fat bar and become a beast after a few weeks of adjusting. =-P
Old 03-05-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Charlie Olmstead

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Serbin View Post
Hey everybody. Im going to be buying my squat rack pretty soon. Because of my ceiling height i am sort of leaning towards the s-2 squat stand.

Now my question for you all is will i be able to kip on the squat stand? I am a shorter fellow, just shy of 5'8". should i get the fat/skinny bar or will it be stable enough with just the single skinny bar?
I have the S3 and a single bar. The bar is at the highest point it can be (I'm 6'8"/210). I bought the base storage and put 80 lbs on each side. The stand tipped pretty badly when I was pushing back from the top of my pull up. I upped the weight to 260 and the stand stopped tipping at the top of my pull ups.

You might want to look into the vertical storage over the base storage, that would probably stabilize the stand much better for kipping pull ups. Or buy the feet and bolt it to the ground or your oly platform.

Also check out this thread http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=73759

I would just get the single bar of the width you want, you won't swap the fat/skinny bar... ever. The stand is stable with the single bar.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:38 PM   #4
Dylan Serbin

Profile:

Thanks for all the help guys. I didnt know you could get a single fat bar. If thats the case, ill for sure get that instead. Ill be setting up a regular sized bar in the summer sometime im sure.

Im getting the side plate storage add-ons for it. one on each side should be good i think. If its still a little wobbly, ill just throw a few sandbags down to stabilize it.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Dylan Serbin

Profile:

Will the height of the s-2 single bar be good enough for kipping pullups though?
Old 03-05-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Cody Lewis

Profile:

For someone of your height w/ the 92 inch uprights, it should be fine.

To put it in perspective - I am 6'2" and I kip on a bar that is apprx 90 inches off the ground. My feet skim the ground sometimes, but it works fine for my purposes.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #7
Mike Gin

Profile:

I just got the S2 with the fat/skinny bar. Keep in mind you will need to keep the bar below the ceiling height a fair amount otherwise you will clock your head on it. I have 8' ceilings in my garage. Knowing that, I went with the fat/skinny bar so I could choose. I knew if I even went the single bar route it would be in the same position as the lower portion of the fat/skinny. Might as well have that option.

I have 105# of bumper plates on each side plate storage add-on. I'm 5'9" 160# and I can kip well on them without it rocking. I'm going to be adding some more bumper plates to my collection so I'll end up with 205# per side. Thing won't be going anywhere!

Love this rack! I got the safety spotter arms too. No more rolling a barbell down my torso after a failed bench press!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Dylan Serbin

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gin View Post
I just got the S2 with the fat/skinny bar. Keep in mind you will need to keep the bar below the ceiling height a fair amount otherwise you will clock your head on it. I have 8' ceilings in my garage. Knowing that, I went with the fat/skinny bar so I could choose. I knew if I even went the single bar route it would be in the same position as the lower portion of the fat/skinny. Might as well have that option.

I have 105# of bumper plates on each side plate storage add-on. I'm 5'9" 160# and I can kip well on them without it rocking. I'm going to be adding some more bumper plates to my collection so I'll end up with 205# per side. Thing won't be going anywhere!

Love this rack! I got the safety spotter arms too. No more rolling a barbell down my torso after a failed bench press!
Hmmm thats a very good point. My stand will be going in my garage too. I guess the next step then is taking some measurements and making sure there will be enough clearance. I'm pretty sure they're 9' ceilings, but ill double check to be safe.
Old 03-06-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Damon Hacker

Profile:

I have the S-2 with the single pullup bar in my garage with a ceiling height of 9'. I don't kip often but when I do I have no issues at all as long has I have some weight on the side storage. FYI, Im 6'1" and 200lbs. The height of the bar is more than enough for me with plenty of room above so i don't hit my head on the ceiling.

I also have the spotter arms...this a great piece of equipment.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
Dan Thomas

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gin View Post
I knew if I even went the single bar route it would be in the same position as the lower portion of the fat/skinny.
Can the bar be mounted at the top position?