CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-01-2012, 02:10 PM   #1
Mike Massey

Profile:
Paleo Zone Blocks - Am I reading this correctly?

Been generally on paleo for the past 6 months, and am now trying to move into Paleo Zone. I've never followed something like zone before, so I am a beginner...

I'm having a little bit of trouble with understanding the zone blocks. I get the protein and the fat blocks - that all seems reasonable and straight forward. What I am not getting is the carbohydrate block - it seems way too much food.

I have been following a zone block chart that someone at Albany Crossfit put together. It's in Excel - Here is the link (WFS)

According to this, and with the assumption the spreadsheet is correct, if I am trying to get 4 blocks of carbs, I would need 8 cups of broccoli. Seriously?

Am I reading this right? If so, wow that is A LOT of veggies....
Old 01-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
Katherine Derbyshire

Profile:
Re: Paleo Zone Blocks - Am I reading this correctly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Massey View Post
According to this, and with the assumption the spreadsheet is correct, if I am trying to get 4 blocks of carbs, I would need 8 cups of broccoli. Seriously?

Am I reading this right? If so, wow that is A LOT of veggies....
Yes. Most veggies have effectively zero calories.

This is why many paleo diets end up being low-carb in practice.

If you want calorie-dense paleo carb sources, your two best choices are fruit and starchy tubers.

Katherine
Old 01-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Mike Massey

Profile:

Thanks. I'm fine with low carb like I am doing, I am just baffled at whether I can actually eat that many vegetables. Seriously - 8 cups of broccoli.

Does anyone actually get all the carbohydrate blocks they are supposed to, or do they just try and get as much as they can.... ?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

It's easy to get your carb blocks. Just don't expect to get all of your blocks for one meal from broccoli. Get one block from broccoli or whatever other fibrous veggie you want, and get the other three blocks from something denser - like sweet potatoes or squash. You could also have two or three blocks of berries or mango for dessert.
Old 01-01-2012, 04:05 PM   #5
Mike Massey

Profile:

My goal of moving from paleo to a strict Paleo zone is to get leaner. I am concerned about having higher carb vegetables like sweet potatoes, thinking that leafier greens will help getting me there quicker.

However - in thinking about it, my body is still going to enough calories and if I am concerned about eating enough leafy greens, adding sweet potatoes will make that easier. As long as don't go above my blocks, I still should see the results I'm looking for, right?

Thanks for the replies.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:37 AM   #6
Christopher G. Woods

Profile:

It's like the old riddle, "What weighs more, a pound of straw or a pound of lead?" They both weigh a pound. 1 block of broccoli has approximately the same carb and calorie count as 1 block of sweet potato; the sweet potato just takes up less room in your stomach.